Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I seem to remember a guy who finished 2nd or 3rd overall a few seasons back and was being paid to give advice throughout the next season on Matt Cooper's Last Word show had an awful stinker. Most people have a good season and then follow it up with a poor one. Luck is a huge factor in this game but i agree that you have to be proactive.

He's a friend of my brother's, he got 3rd that year. Think my brother got about 200th. He'd be the first to agree that luck plays a massive part, a lot more than people on here think. If you don't get a good start you lose interest and while you may play the game all the way to the end, its only a select few that are bothered enough to put the time in and finish top 5k every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Luck plays a huge part. 3 times this season I captained a player solely based on refreshing the home page of FPL and going with the first player that showed up in the image that was in my team. The first week was BAE on his double game week. The week after that i went with Nani but he done nothing. Transferred him out and done the same thing the following week and ended up with Dempsey for his hat trick. No thought at all and 2 out of 3 i scored huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Poor start for me. Started the game knowing very little about soccer and didn't play it really up until about GW5. I looked at this forum, read through a lot of the posts and played my wildcard on GW5. I was around the 1.5 million mark in overall rank after GW4. After I played my wildcard in GW5, I jumped to 860,000. I was in the top 5,000 for that GW, I got 80 points while most others had terrible weeks with scores of under 40 or under 30 even. I continued to do reasonably well from then on. What I am trying to say is.... had it not been for me looking at this forum and looking at who people thought were the hot players, I would've made a mess of my wildcard team. 1 day of reading on this and I discovered who the best FF players to get were. I got in Nani, Ade, Aguero (and captained him), Silva, Vorm and Taylor. Even though it was my first year playing, I had no idea how the game worked and didn't know much at all about soccer.... it was still that easy for me to start doing well.

It's not just about Stats and Acknowledging in-from players. It's also about taking advice from others. That's why I think this forum is the best FPL forum around. Every frequent poster here is either doing reasonably well or very well. Very well being within the top 10,000. Everything is spotted on here. It was Rooney/Aguero/Silva/Newcastle defenders at the start for the season and most recently it was Cisse/Walcott and Siggy. Although most probably don't notice it, most of our transfers are very much influenced by the posts we read on this forum. And because of this, we do consistently well in this game. I think this is one of the main reasons people on here are doing so well. They can see other people's opinions, aside from theirs. and sometimes others' opinions are better than your own. I think the knowledge of the game on this forum is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

team worth 110.4 incl in bank. would be worth much more but got rid of Bale Assou Rooney Dempsey in my spring clear out, as well as Jose Enrique dropping 0.5, who I believe will still come good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

G1032 wrote: »

Just checked out my previous years there.

Season Points Overall Rank
    2007/08 1914 324984
    2008/09 1875 132297
    2009/10 2213 64914
    2010/11 2058 30856
    2011/12 1921 4110

Well all I can say is that I'm improving each year. This year is my best so far. Can't see me doing as well next year.
    Amazing how the seasons pan out....... 2213 points is only enough for 64914 place in 2010 but 2058 points comes 30856 last year..........

How did you go about looking at your previous year's rankings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Panthro wrote: »
    How did you go about looking at your previous year's rankings?

In the Points/Rankings table at the top right of your team page, click on 'View Gameweek History'

Scroll down to the bottom of that new page and your old scores will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

In the Points/Rankings table at the top right of your team page, click on 'View Gameweek History'

Scroll down to the bottom of that new page and your old scores will be there

cheers for that! I'm not improving a whole lot but I'm getting there!:o
    2007/08 1849 454873
    2008/09 1913 83929
    2009/10 2181 94217
    2010/11 1976 119156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Just checked out my previous years there.

Season Points Overall Rank
    2007/08 1914 324984
    2008/09 1875 132297
    2009/10 2213 64914
    2010/11 2058 30856
    2011/12 1921 4110

Well all I can say is that I'm improving each year. This year is my best so far. Can't see me doing as well next year.
    Amazing how the seasons pan out....... 2213 points is only enough for 64914 place in 2010 but 2058 points comes 30856 last year..........

I agree its hard to even get into top 10,000 every season. The points can be completely different from one season to the next, that's why i think that's it is an awful load of rubbish to say "Oh i'm aiming for a certain number of points this week". Who the hell knows what way the week will pan out? I remember having Rooney when he got 64 points as a captain. Would you be happy that week if you only scored 50 points in total, because you could be losing huge ground on your competitors.

manual_man wrote: »
    team worth 110.4 incl in bank. would be worth much more but got rid of Bale Assou Rooney Dempsey in my spring clear out, as well as Jose Enrique dropping 0.5, who I believe will still come good!

Yeh mines worth 110.8, got rid of a lot of players while back before their value dropped - Silva, Bale etc. Team value means nothing though, I don't think anyone's struggled to buy a player they've wanted for quite a while. I've over 7m in the bank at the moment!

I remember in previous years you were always wary of having enough cash to afford players, right through to season end. Not sure if the system has changed this year or if the emergence of cheaper players like Simpson, Evans, Siggy, Ben Arfa etc has left us with cash left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I agree its hard to even get into top 10,000 every season. The points can be completely different from one season to the next, that's why i think that's it is an awful load of rubbish to say "Oh i'm aiming for a certain number of points this week". Who the hell knows what way the week will pan out? I remember having Rooney when he got 64 points as a captain. Would you be happy that week if you only scored 50 points in total, because you could be losing huge ground on your competitors.
    When aiming for a weekly score you should be thinking in terms of the average weekly score as opposed to a fixed score.

I'd aim for around the 140% of the weekly average score. Anything below would be average and anything above would be a very good week. I'd consider getting around the average weekly score a poor week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think it's just that prices rise so quickly. Everyone has been saying how they rise much quicker than previous years. So if you get the right player you could make .5 off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

S.M.B. wrote: »
    When aiming for a weekly score you should be thinking in terms of the average weekly score as opposed to a fixed score.

I'd aim for around the 140% of the weekly average score. Anything below would be average and anything above would be a very good week. I'd consider getting around the average weekly score a poor week.

Fair enough, I just pick my best possible team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

roryc wrote: »
    Yeh mines worth 110.8, got rid of a lot of players while back before their value dropped - Silva, Bale etc. Team value means nothing though, I don't think anyone's struggled to buy a player they've wanted for quite a while. I've over 7m in the bank at the moment!

I remember in previous years you were always wary of having enough cash to afford players, right through to season end. Not sure if the system has changed this year or if the emergence of cheaper players like Simpson, Evans, Siggy, Ben Arfa etc has left us with cash left over.

A lot of the former reliables and hence highly priced players havent performed this season, so there's been a lot more value about....The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Tevez, Baines havent justified their price tag at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

I remember that GW well. How could I forget......... I got 163 points in total!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

manual_man wrote: »

Team value means something, but not everything. The key to this game is getting the right players at the right time. Having a player that performs before others do, even if its just for a week, can earn you pretty substantial gains, and if you can manage that consistently over the course of a season, you're gonna do very well. After that, it's down to captain choices, and luck, but on the whole it's down to knowing when to get in the right players, and the ability to get rid of players quickly when they're no longer performing

I'm hoping for a 100+ week in 36, otherwise it'll be the first season I can remember never getting over 100. Everybody usually does it once a season but there hasn't really been any stand out weeks, and almost no double GW's compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'm hoping for a 100+ week in 36, otherwise it'll be the first season I can remember never getting over 100. Everybody usually does it once a season but there hasn't really been any stand out weeks, and almost no double GW's compared to last year.

In my 3 years playing this game, albeit I'm only playing it properly for a season and a half I've never had a 100+ score. Closest I came was in GW27 this year when I got 97 and came 316th in the world. I've never managed to fully capitalise on a DGW yet.

By the way my team value is only 107.7 with 1.3 in the bank. Primarily due to being patient with a lot of players this season and thus suffering a lot of price drops. It has generally paid off for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

who will u guys be making captain for gw 36, I was going to pick a spurs player with their fixtures but their playing so bad that I dont think I will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

either rooney or tevez... might go dempsey again, the 2 times i did pick him it payed of really well with a hat-trick and the 2 goals and assist he got a while ago.

hard choice but im leaning towards a city player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

either rooney or tevez... might go dempsey again, the 2 times i did pick him it payed of really well with a hat-trick and the 2 goals and assist he got a while ago.

hard choice but im leaning towards a city player

Would you not pick a player who is playing twice? Up to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Ormus wrote: »
    Would you not pick a player who is playing twice? Up to yourself.
    I think he's talking about GW35.

I think he's talking about GW35.

Maybe so. The question was about 36 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Need to really examine the fuxtures of GW36. Just because a player is playing twice doesnt neccessarily mean he should be captain. I've been caught out with this before.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Need to really examine the fuxtures of GW36. Just because a player is playing twice doesnt neccessarily mean he should be captain. I've been caught out with this before.

True, if it was someone like Bolton v Aston Villa (as it is this week) you might think twice.

But GW36 has the likes of Liverpool and Spurs with favourable fixtures, and also players on fire such as Dempsey, Cisse and Ben Arfa to choose from.

Each to their own. For me, I see it as your captain being unlikely to score less than 8 points and, over the space of 180 mins, very likely to get a goal or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I don't see many people finishing inside the top 5 or 10 thousand mark year in, year out. If you look at most people they are quite inconsistent.I seem to remember a guy who finished 2nd or 3rd overall a few seasons back and was being paid to give advice throughout the next season on Matt Cooper's Last Word show had an awful stinker. Most people have a good season and then follow it up with a poor one. Luck is a huge factor in this game but i agree that you have to be proactive.

My previous seasons:

Season Points Rank
    2006/07 1712 238,015
    2007/08 2180 14,640
    2008/09 2075 4,563
    2009/10 2377 4,715
    2010/11 2183 1,381

For this season I'm now up to a season high 13,283. I'd like to push on and keep my run of top 5k finishes going but it's fairly hard to make inroads on those ahead.

Currently on 64 points for this week, with Walcott, Vermaelen and Captain RVP to play. I could threaten that 100 point mark if RVP bags a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

This is my first season playing right through. Previously, I've done no more than 2 or 3 months, then got bored with it. Finding the Boards FF thread by chance is what kept me going this year.

And now that I'm almost done with a reasonably good season that should see me finish at least top 500 (hoping for top 100, currently 129), I can safely say next season can kiss my arse.

I put a lot of effort into the game from around GW 6 or 7, up until GW 24ish. The amount of info I was gathering on teams and players was ridiculous. Never physically took me more than an hour a week to read up and select, but mentally, it was on my mind closer to 8 hours a day. Couldn't take a dump without contemplating the next captain choice.

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have done so well without the info, but I'm absolutely certain that I don't want all that again. It'll be nice and casual for me next season, and I'm fairly sure the majority of people who do considerably well one season rarely carry form for similar reasons. Not much point once you've done it once.

I've seen a lot of criticism on here aimed towards the guy who was on top overall almost all season. People slagging off his team and saying he "must have been really lucky". Nonsense. That guy must have worked his arse off to get where he was, and that's why you probably won't see him again next season - there really is no point in it after that.

(I'm not saying there's no point in the game, just no point in taking it seriously more than once, as soon as you've had a really good season).

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

carlcon wrote: »
    This is my first season playing right through. Previously, I've done no more than 2 or 3 months, then got bored with it. Finding the Boards FF thread by chance is what kept me going this year.

And now that I'm almost done with a reasonably good season that should see me finish at least top 500 (hoping for top 100, currently 129), I can safely say next season can kiss my arse.

I put a lot of effort into the game from around GW 6 or 7, up until GW 24ish. The amount of info I was gathering on teams and players was ridiculous. Never physically took me more than an hour a week to read up and select, but mentally, it was on my mind closer to 8 hours a day. Couldn't take a dump without contemplating the next captain choice.

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have done so well without the info, but I'm absolutely certain that I don't want all that again. It'll be nice and casual for me next season, and I'm fairly sure the majority of people who do considerably well one season rarely carry form for similar reasons. Not much point once you've done it once.

I've seen a lot of criticism on here aimed towards the guy who was on top overall almost all season. People slagging off his team and saying he "must have been really lucky". Nonsense. That guy must have worked his arse off to get where he was, and that's why you probably won't see him again next season - there really is no point in it after that.

(I'm not saying there's no point in the game, just no point in taking it seriously more than once, as soon as you've had a really good season).

This is the first season I've seriously poured time and effort into it, and I dunno right now if I'd be willing to do it again next year. I'm looking forward to the end of the season so I can switch off from it. It's consuming a bit too much of my time right now, haven't had a lie in at the weekend since before Christmas thanks to getting up at 7am to watch games

If I'm back in Ireland then I'll def go at it again, but it'll just be casual next year if I'm still here

Regards the guy who had been top, obviously he was doing something right, but he made some absolutely mental transfers, and hadn't been working off two goalkeepers (which is a pretty basic sign of a good player imo), wasn't using a full bench either. He just had a team that when you looked at it, you knew he was going nowhere.

Site's down, so I can't check, but I'm almost sure he's nearly out of the top 20 at this stage

Stuck between Tevez and Aguero. Either could have a field day at Wolves but on current luck I'll go and pick the wrong one...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    My previous seasons:

Season Points Rank
    2006/07 1712 238,015
    2007/08 2180 14,640
    2008/09 2075 4,563
    2009/10 2377 4,715
    2010/11 2183 1,381

For this season I'm now up to a season high 13,283. I'd like to push on and keep my run of top 5k finishes going but it's fairly hard to make inroads on those ahead.

Currently on 64 points for this week, with Walcott, Vermaelen and Captain RVP to play. I could threaten that 100 point mark if RVP bags a couple.

You've had some very good scores. My previous seasons:

Season Points Rank
    2006/07 1829 87594
    2007/08 2139 31362
    2008/09 1841 187395
    2009/10 2138 147012
    2010/11 2100 12638

I've currently just dropped out of the top 500 this year to 509. My work and personal leagues are the big money spinners for me each year and I've both tied off this year. Regularly finish in the top 3 in both, winning both last year.

It's a pity '05/'06 scores don't seem to be shown because I had a good season that year, winning the Boards, Pigsback.com and Off the Ball leagues. Morten Gamst Pedersen was my secret weapon!

That said, I think alot depends on how much time you invest. Back then, I was in college and had plenty of time to analyse that I don't have now. Stats will only get you so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Stuck between Tevez and Aguero. Either could have a field day at Wolves but on current luck I'll go and pick the wrong one...

In the same boat, not sure which to go for...... :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement