Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

In the good old days there were two radio stations in Dublin fighting for the top spot at breakfast that being 98fm and 104 under thier various brand names with 104 ahead at breakfast most of the time (although the figures were quite close if remember correctly at times) Forward on to Dermot and Dave, a successful time at breakfast but the bizarre decision to move to afternoons at their peak. With Colm and Jim gone to the dark side the Dublin Market was theirs for the taking and they did. FM104 watched thier successful brand with Jim McCabe and Niamh something or other drop from 100,000 listeners to around 65k in three years (they had less than Liam Corburn on Q102 when they were shown the door). Out came the axe, humble pie and the marketing department went to work at 104. Jim Nugent lands back to the mother ship. He's teamed up with Nobby and they turn the whole thing around over the next two years.

We switch to 98 who are losing ground on their rivals. They turn to the big guns as the Dublin Market is now not just a two horse race, they bring in Ray Foley and JP. I and many of us here thought this was it, finally a battle of the old guard. But alas it has not happened. Why?
    Maybe calling it The Ray Foley Show was the first mistake. It shouldn't be about an individual. That to me seems to have not attracted listeners to his show. They have spent buckets of money on him and the show with marketing and although it looks great on YouTube and people in Offally like it, but if it's not doing the basics I'm afraid that's your bread and butter. If this was happening at FM104 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That's a good point about the name actually bbabillity. I know "The Ray Foley Show" is a brand, but considering they weren't really popular in Dublin before moving, it would have been a good opportunity to rebrand. Like, looking at the breakfast shows that are popular in Dublin, it's "The Strawberry Alarm Clock", "Fully Charged", "NT Breakfast", "Morning Ireland". As you say, they're very much focused on the show, not the presenter.

Not suggesting that that would have been a miracle cure and suddenly they'd be increasing book-on-book, but maybe it would have helped people to give them a chance initially and maybe help a few people get over their "Ray Foley is an arrogant gobsh*te." attitude.

But apart from that, maybe it's just a fact that Dublin doesn't like Foley. Like, if you remember the final Today FM podcast, Ray said he did the show for "the people who got it". Maybe Dublin just doesn't "get it" (I don't want that to sound like I'm blaming a market for not liking something, taste is taste like).

Assuming they got a 3 year contract, they have one more book before renewal. You'd imagine it'd be very hard to make the case that they should be given more time if they don't at least make some gains with the addition of Muireann.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IUA14 wrote: »
    I think people might be getting a little carried away signing the shows death warrant. Personally I dislike the way the JNLR's work, in the case of Foley and 98FM they take into account strictly Dublin as far as I know and if you listen to the show every morning and hear the callers you will know the lads have people on from Offaly to Meath, Kildare and Roscommon so I don't think the figures are an accurate representation to how they are doing.

The day 98fm can legally go prospecting for advertisers in Roscommon and Offaly (or even Meath and Kildare), this might be relevant.

They're a Dublin ILR, so its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Oh apologies, how dare I express my opinion in an online forum...I did say that what i said about 98FM in terms of their identity and schedule was from my own point of view. Yes I am looking at the same JNLR figures, what exactly did I say that was incorrect? FM104 have nearly double the market share that 98 do, I didn't say otherwise. All I said was that from 2013 Q4 to now their audience has grown by 20,000.

It is not curtains for the breakfast show unless you have some inside info which I doubt. IN MY OPINION, 98FM have invested a lot into the station and they will not just down tools and bin the show because of one bad book of figures...previously there have been increases book-on-book and year-on-year, slow and steady increases it has to be said but still. Who else would go into the 98FM breakfast slot and make an impact? FM104 has been so far ahead of everyone in Dublin for years that slow and steady gains along with slow declines from FM104 is all the competition can really hope for at this point.

Yes Foley dropped listeners this book but in the last book he was ahead of Dempsey on Today FM in terms of figures in Dublin. Today FM, despite pretty significant losses nationally have gained quite a bit in Dublin this time around.

And as for the comment above about most people in this thread being Foley fans...well yeah...kind of the point, the thread is called The Ray Foley Show and if you don't listen to the show or like it then why bother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Oh apologies, how dare I express my opinion in an online forum...I did say that what i said about 98FM in terms of their identity and schedule was from my own point of view. Yes I am looking at the same JNLR figures, what exactly did I say that was incorrect? FM104 have nearly double the market share that 98 do, I didn't say otherwise. All I said was that from 2013 Q4 to now their audience has grown by 20,000.

It is not curtains for the breakfast show unless you have some inside info which I doubt. IN MY OPINION, 98FM have invested a lot into the station and they will not just down tools and bin the show because of one bad book of figures...previously there have been increases book-on-book and year-on-year, slow and steady increases it has to be said but still. Who else would go into the 98FM breakfast slot and make an impact? FM104 has been so far ahead of everyone in Dublin for years that slow and steady gains along with slow declines from FM104 is all the competition can really hope for at this point.

Yes Foley dropped listeners this book but in the last book he was ahead of Dempsey on Today FM in terms of figures in Dublin. Today FM, despite pretty significant losses nationally have gained quite a bit in Dublin this time around.

And as for the comment above about most people in this thread being Foley fans...well yeah...kind of the point, the thread is called The Ray Foley Show and if you don't listen to the show or like it then why bother?

Well if you look through the tread you will see the same names appearing and always being positive about the show, most threads on here have debates, I mean the if I go to the Darcy or Newstalk Breakfast one there will be a debate about the show, where as here it is rarely a debate and usually just fanfare, I think the point of any online forum is to generate conversation and debate, which leads me on to your opening line, of course you can voice your opinion but you cant expect it not to be challenged when it is a somewhat controversial point in comparison to what others are saying.

I also don't think anyone is saying the show IS going to be cancelled and replaced, I think the consensus is it's not working for them, the figures at least point towards a decline in listenership and that's what other are echoing and are wondering will 98 do something drastic, personally I think they will stay on, I think 98 have a game plan but it's not one that seems popular with the masses at the moment, given they have spent so much on rebranding the station I would seem odd to ditch them, and with the current changes they have made to the shows format it would be weirder, however if the figures drop off again then how long do you wait for it to get better?

• Advertisement

Well my point was that obviously people who are fans of, and listen to, the show are going to be vocal on here...unless people just listen to the show to then go on and moan about it...simple solution there would be to switch off. I have no problem with opinions being challenged at all, its when I stated I was giving my own opinion on 98 and you go and say its biased, well yeah, its my opinion!

I agree with a lot of the points being made but I think fans on here will agree that the show Foley is doing now has issues with it...they used to try and reinvent the wheel but now they are just trying to keep it moving. The figures are disappointing but I will wait and see the next book given that Spin have changed their breakfast show so there is bound to be some movement in figures and Dempsey seems to be either quite a bit up or down in Dublin in every book. For me, I just think its premature to sign the shows death warrant, I think he will stay at 98FM for another two years and I would imagine the end goal of this is for them to go back to the national airwaves. They have said in podcasts previously that they wanted to do something different for a while and it wouldn't be the show they will do forever. Would they be wanted? Lets wait and see. As for alternatives for 98FM...honestly no clue...perhaps down the line Dara Quilty and Brian Maher reuniting to do the breakfast show? They are proven to be successful as a duo in Dublin from their time on Spin with The Zoo Crew.

Anyways, Foley was on The Seven O'Clock Show on TV3 again last Friday...with Louise Duffy...always thought they didn't get along but seemed comfortable with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

As for alternatives for 98FM...honestly no clue...perhaps down the line Dara Quilty and Brian Maher reuniting to do the breakfast show? They are proven to be successful as a duo in Dublin from their time on Spin with The Zoo Crew.

I was going to suggest this. Loved them on the Zoo Crew and they have great chemistry and bounce off each other so well. Think they'd be more likely to appeal to younger listeners and the SPIN audience will automatically tune into Fully Charged in the morning so not sure if they'd be ratings winners for 98. I'm just surprised SPIN didn't offer them the breakfast show a year ago before they both left considering Ryan & Tracy had been on breakfast for quite some time and it was felt their run was coming to an end.

I'd like to see Foley get more time but what could they do that would attract more listeners? The show has been on great form and things like the Naked Breakfast are innovative and different but they haven't managed to build up a good enough audience. I'd love to see them turn it around because the show deserves more listeners than it currently has but some of the features are a bit stale and it sometimes feels like they are in creative shackles and have to reign themselves in to appeal to more people but that doesn't seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chilloutrelax

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest this. Loved them on the Zoo Crew and they have great chemistry and bounce off each other so well. Think they'd be more likely to appeal to younger listeners and the SPIN audience will automatically tune into Fully Charged in the morning so not sure if they'd be ratings winners for 98. I'm just surprised SPIN didn't offer them the breakfast show a year ago before they both left considering Ryan & Tracy had been on breakfast for quite some time and it was felt their run was coming to an end.

I'd like to see Foley get more time but what could they do that would attract more listeners? The show has been on great form and things like the Naked Breakfast are innovative and different but they haven't managed to build up a good enough audience. I'd love to see them turn it around because the show deserves more listeners than it currently has but some of the features are a bit stale and it sometimes feels like they are in creative shackles and have to reign themselves in to appeal to more people but that doesn't seem to be working.

A few suggestions:
    1. Change the name of the show - Dublin isn't interested in the Ray Foley brand (just not back to "morning crew" again)
    2. Move Dublin talks to drive time - Dublin talks would do better here and I think the transition from ray foley to Dublin talks is a big issue for attracting am listeners
    3. 98fm need to stop copying 104 and Spin - it's like a hybrid and this never works

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

I can't see any swift action on them considering they just brought in Muireann and Adelle surely has some say in such a decision. Unless they pre-empted poor figures and using it as an opportunity to set Muireann up to take over the show but I doubt that.

We all know the problem with the show is the format. The best part of the show is 6:30 to 7:40 and particularly after a long podcast only bit, I'm often tempted to skip on after that, fully satisfied with the aural experience I have received up to then.
    To state the obvious, Eh Yeah Ok is good when they've good people on, but this rarely happens. Maybe 2 out of the 10 each week. That was never an issue on the old show. Callers were good craic, only on to win a Steps CD and a wristband.
    Secret Sound is just b0llix
    It's a relief to not have the kids bit on during summer
    10 seconds really is a weak bit. Can't fathom how anyone can't name 5 counties in 10 seconds.
    Still can't understand why Foley continues to ask all 10 questions in FMM when there's no longer €20/question. Question 6: .....Pass. Question 7: Why bother. KC has/had the same feature on Red FM but just €1k. Get something wrong and it's over, next segment.
    I know it's harder to a) get better people on local radio and b) get them to come into studio in the morning, but these pre-recorded phone interviews are all terrible. Can't think of a single good one. Also the fact that they semi-pretend they're done live is just condescending.
    Sh1tty competitions. I know Ann used to come up with the competition format each week and surely the lads had some input. A bit of ingenuity would at least give the competition a bit of an identity, even if it's ultimately just a simple Q&A.
    Cheesy texty shout outs are annoying too. You'd miss the days of getting someone in Roscommon to ring in and count the traffic on the road in the back arse of nowhere.

I can't help thinking back to "there's so much we didn't get time to do on today's show" when tbh was kinda true. Nowadays it's "there's so much filler we need to make up a 3.5 hour show". Hopefully the addition of Muireann will help reduce the crap.
    Oh and finally, the addition of the advertising at the top of the podcasts is taking the piss. Was disappointed the first time when they threw the bit on at the end "you've been listening to a 98fm podcast, download more on 98fm.com". Yeah, no sh1t Sherlock, I both downloaded and listened to it all by myself.

If the whole show was like the first 20 minutes of today's show it would be by far the best thing on Irish radio. Brilliant start to the show, was breaking my heart laughing at the JP and his friend Claire bits..."he took her down south", "the garden of Ireland", "lovely foliage" and especially "you had your face in everything". Ray, JP, Muireann and Deeno work so well together and I wish they could do the show they want without all the other sh!te like Secret Sound, Kids Bit, 10 Seconds, Quiz etc.

I do agree with the comments above, the lads seem to be creatively shackled and the strict format of the show does not seem to suit them, they are best when riffing off each other like the start of the show today and to be honest Irish radio is full of formatted breakfast shows so if they did their own thing whats the worst that could happen? Its not working ratings wise right now so might as well let them try and be themselves! The show does deserve more listeners than it has now but its a tough market. I agree that Dublin Talks is not ideal to follow Foley...maybe moving that to midday even and slotting in a 2 hour music show after Foley would work.

I think in a few years Brian and Dara will eventually take over from Ray on breakfast, they both seem to want to do their own thing for a while but they had great chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't understand how Dublin Talks would affect Foley's listenership. Isn't the job of a breakfast show to bring listeners to the station early in the morning, and then subsequent shows need to try and hold them? So in essence if it were an issue of the show after being inappropriate, Foley would have higher listenership and Dublin Talks just wouldn't hold those listeners.

I like 10 Seconds. At least it's something different on the show. I'm extremely bored of the portion of the show now. Basically everything from 7:45 to 9:00 I can happily skip on the podcast. Eh, Yeah, OK, Kids Bit, Money Minute, Secret Sound are all so rarely worth listening to. Cut the callers off after they get the first one wrong during the money minute. If they insist on keeping Eh Yeah OK, make it one caller a day and put a time limit on it as to how long they have to last. Dump the Kids Bit if possible. Secret Sound is laughably cliched.

I know it's easy to sit here and say "Durr, they need new features!", but they really do need to at least try some new stuff. Eh Yeah OK needs to be taken out back and put down with what little dignity it has left. Maybe kill Eh Yeah OK for six months and do 10 seconds in it's place. In six months, bring back Eh Yeah OK, and keep rotating like that.

I wasn't really saying Dublin Talks was an issue for Foley specifically, more so an issue for 98FM in terms of their schedule.

Really enjoyed the show today, first time I had the chance to listen to it live right through to 10 in a while.

Oh, man. That was good. I haven't heard the lads lose it like they did yesterday in a long time. Literally have tears in my eyes from laughing here. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Oh, man. That was good. I haven't heard the lads lose it like they did yesterday in a long time. Literally have tears in my eyes from laughing here. :pac:

What part? I must start listening to the podcasts. I only ever catch from 08:30 to 10:00

Synode wrote: »
    What part? I must start listening to the podcasts. I only ever catch from 08:30 to 10:00

Very first link, JP talking about cheese and it's strong taste spiraled into utter chaos.

If anyone remembers Ray's laugh from the "SMELL MY MANHOOOOOD!" Gauntlet, it made a glorious return. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just in case anyone wasn't sure of foleys dislike of Mr darcy. He lets us know again about it,

Very start of the show yesterday, first twenty minutes of the podcast, had me in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The more I read about the joke that isDenis OBrien the more I want to boycott communicorp radio.

You'll get you cease and desist order tomorrow I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The more I read about the joke that isDenis OBrien the more I want to boycott communicorp radio.

Are you going to post that in every radio show thread that is aired on a communicorp station?
    If not then I'd like to know why you chose this thread specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Are you going to post that in every radio show thread that is aired on a communicorp station?
    If not then I'd like to know why you chose this thread specifically?

Not at all flange meistro. This thread is where I predominantly post out of the radio station forum and the only radio presenter and crew that I take interest in as I have listened to foley and jp for years, like most on this thread.

The situation is bitter sweet in some ways - I'm delighted that there is a fast growing number of people boycotting this persons business interests. If this includes foley and his colleagues then I'm disappointed for foley as they are a hard working group that deliver good radio. However I will be one of those boycotting 98fm. Will foley care about losing one listener? Probably not. But maybe it's disappointing for the reasons why. For me, it's my beliefs of what is going on in front of our noses and nobody being allowed to talk about

I hope that addresses your query Flange Meistro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

keep your off topic discussion to other forums. Next off topic post gets a ban discuss Ray Foley until your hearts content

Sad to hear the lads talking in the podcast about features and interviews being an 8:12 segment or a 7:55...in terms of what they are doing for the show. It shows how tight of a constraint they are really working under and how over-formatted the show is. The days of the John Barrowman style interviews when the craic was just had are gone which is a shame, kind of set them apart from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jaysus I'm loving the addition of muireann to the show. She's a very funny person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Ray Foley is now a busted flush, the communicorp suits thought his poor mans Chris Moyles act would be successful in Dublin, it has been a disaster. TV work has dried up for him because his head is just too ugly for tv.

Well that was pleasant...I think you will find him on TV3 Friday nights at 7 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Ray Foley is now a busted flush, the communicorp suits thought his poor mans Chris Moyles act would be successful in Dublin, it has been a disaster. TV work has dried up for him because his head is just too ugly for tv.

That'd be the same TV work that sees him appear every Friday on TV3's 7 o'show the last few weeks?

Too ugly... nice way to make a point man.

The interview on Friday really descended into radio excellence, I was in bits listening to that. Amy Schumer and co are very funny people and Ray was losing his mind, especially with the he was wet and she was hard comments. With the amount of crap interviews they have to do on the show, like the Dublin Lord Mayor or other randomers who made the news, it was nice to hear them genuinely enjoying an interview for once and having a bit of craic with the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 corcaigh_abu

The interview on Friday really descended into radio excellence, I was in bits listening to that. Amy Schumer and co are very funny people and Ray was losing his mind, especially with the he was wet and she was hard comments. With the amount of crap interviews they have to do on the show, like the Dublin Lord Mayor or other randomers who made the news, it was nice to hear them genuinely enjoying an interview for once and having a bit of craic with the guests.

And nicely followed up with the worst interview ever this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm loving the addition of muireann to the show. She's a very funny person.

I listened in this morning from 6:45 to 8 because KC is off Red Fm for shine reason, anyway i thought she added very little and if i heard her say 20 words it was s lot, it's like herself and JP are trying to pick their spots and dive in around the main event Foley and what i heard seemed very forced and unnatural, kind of like CSI when the Lesser detectives try to add their findings when Ted Danson stops talking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

descended into radio excellence.

What an interesting phrase ;)

Advertisement