Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

• 15-02-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Im really suprised theres not already a thread on this show. I'll get one going so. What do you think of him and his show?
    At first I thought he was an asshole, hated him and the show. But he's starting to grow on me, I get his sense of humour a little more now. JP is pretty much his clone and ann Gleeson seems afable enough.
    So what do you think of foley?

So what do you guys think of The Ray Foley Show 225 votes

Never miss it, think its a great Craic altogether
    0% 0 votes
    Listen to it now and Again
    60% 135 votes
    Can't stand it, thinks he's the King of the afternoon or somethin!
    40% 90 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Honestly cannot wait for noon when I get a chance to listen to the radio. I normally have Dempsey in the morning, then listen to some MP3s or am too busy to tune in between nine and midday, but at 12, I love that time... that's when I switch to Rick O'Shea on 2FM !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I think it is awful. I hate it. Does he still do that lazy radio thing? Insufferable ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

It's craptacular. In no way is that show funny. It's lowbrow and in no way clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can't stand it. I abhor Eamon Keane but would much rather listen to Keane at that time than Ray Foley. And that's saying something.

I think there are numerous threads about Foley already.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

I agree with the OP, hated him at first. Now i think its great. I was actually looking for a Thread like this a couple of days ago * and was surprised i didnt find one. At least not a "Mega Thread" one.

* i actually had to check if i made this thread or not at this point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

Can't stand Ray Foley or the show! Rick O Shea is the best at midday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's a good Dj....but, I have a number of problems with him and the show.

Adelle, Ann and JP are very talented in their own right but they're living in the shadows of an egotistical maniac. Foley is in love with himself...an example...he whores after followers on Twitter but is not the type to follow other people. He blocks people on twitter who speak ill of him and his show. When he's in other people's presence he expects them to be in awe of him.

On one of his blogs recently he was very abusive towards nicky hayes...im actually amazed he wasn't castigated because of it. He's riding on a wave of popularity right now that's getting smaller and smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

foley and his 'team' are plagiarizers

they might impress a few greenhorn bogwater slurpers but that will not take him very far

sad sad show

I'm not a mod here or anywhere....and I never will be one...but can I make a request. Can we make the criticisms, if you have any to make, some what sensible...and not I hate him he's a prick or whatever. An intelligent discussion about him and his show would be refreshing.

I've met the guy and he's talked about me on his show more than once. I have respect for him and really wish I could like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

dosen't a thread about foley appear about every two months in this place?Usually ending up in a massive argument between those who love him and those who hate him.
    I think he's great anyway. Don't think he is egotistical at all. Think the whole "king" thing is very tongue in cheek. Anyone who has ever listened will see that he actually can be quite insecure in himself.
    He blocks people on twitter who speak ill of him and his show
    So what? I don't know that many people who just keep taking abuse from random people.

• Advertisement

I wasn't talking about abuse. I was talking about people asking him what he was going to do in response to his ratings slipping...things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

So what? I don't know that many people who just keep taking abuse from random people.

I think it's on the Today FM You Tube site that lots of the DJs get bad comments but they leave them up there. Not Foley though, he can't handle any form of criticism. I can't understand why his ratings are so high! The few times I've been forced to listen to him at work he makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

ray foley is the man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I dislike the show TBH. The music is decent but Edelle is terrible. Ray and I have had our differences before. He has a poor show but it garners listeners in over the 100,000 region.

He has the best show at lunchtime which is a sad reflection on Irish radio as a whole. He deserves credit as he has a successful format set up for himself known as "lazy radio" to him. He will keep on winning these Meteor awards and honestly he is better than the competition.

I used to listen to "The Blast" and honestly I really enjoyed it. It might have been because I was younger but a lot has changed in regards to his shows in the past 6-7 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can't stand his show. It makes my blood boil tbh. I find them all so irritating and childish. I listen to any other radio station at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I cant understand why the show has jingles that constantly repeat themselves. My memory is not so bad that I am going to forget that which show I am listening to.
    For that reason I dont listen to it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Wasn't there a sort of unofficial ban on discussing this show because he was kicking up about the criticism? There certainly was a while back.
    I hate the way he copies Chris Moyles jingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭mountain

He will keep on winning these Meteor awards and honestly he is better than the competition.

He constantly asks/tells listeners to vote for him in the meteors, one of the other presenters on todayfm mentioned it in passing today, how foley was so desperate to win in the meteors.

If i have the choice i turn him off at 12.01, however that is not always an option, he really thinks that he is wonderful, i cringe when ever i hear him.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

cannot stand him at all how did he get employment on a national radio station:confused:
    get off the air.why do so many people listen to him just cant get my head around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It really is a terrible show, Today FM have lost me mid morning / afternoon, I usually tune in for Cooper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I am not a fan of his show, but

1 He is very good at what he does - he is playing a role

2 His support cast are good. Ann whatsername is very funny - I loved her counties of Ireland skits

3 At least he acknowledges his plagiarism from Moyles. As Krusty once said " this is anyone but Steve Allen, you're stealing my bit".

4 He raised more for charity in one show last year than the whole station raised in a week this year (iirc)

Lastly, to reiterate another poster, if you want to criticize then do so. But name calling or blanket "because I hate him" remarks are not useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mountain wrote: »
    He constantly asks/tells listeners to vote for him in the meteors, one of the other presenters on todayfm mentioned it in passing today, how foley was so desperate to win in the meteors.

If i have the choice i turn him off at 12.01, however that is not always an option, he really thinks that he is wonderful, i cringe when ever i hear him.

It's a feckin' joke. Seriously, as such a low-brow show, how can it be going over your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I actually feel really old when this comes on.

Its just endless irritating noise, stupid jokes and **** music.

Yet "kids" seem to love it.
    I am still under 30.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭mountain

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's a feckin' joke. Seriously, as such a low-brow show, how can it be going over your head?

I dont think its a joke, given the amount of times that i hear him mention it in relation to the few times that i hear his show, i think he is serious.
    Which is a reflection on his craving for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I used to really like his show when he started off. In the last 12 months or so I find myself turning him off more and more.

I cant stand his "up his own arse" attitude. And his way or no way.

He cant take critism. Even if its constructive he wont listen. Ive heard him on the podcast before whining because people said some stuff on the net about him.

He has this constant need to be liked which is growing increasingly pathetic.

But having said all that, it is disappointing that he has turned into this person because his show used to be good, he is good at his job. If they got rid of him.... maybe then I;d tune back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

yep, thumbs up for foley. Like his tongue-in-cheek attitude, and certainly has alot more personality than most day time radio presenters. Not afraid to take the p*ss a bit and has a different format to any other day-time national radio show in ireland (joe and keith on spin1038 was similar albeit).

like any show, radio or tv, you play to a particular target audience. Foley has hit a vein with a particular target, and the format works. I don't listen to Gerry Ryan because I have no interest in his topics, but he still gets a huge listenership like Foley. In the same way, viewers of Podge & Rodge won't be the same as Oireachtas Report viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

I wasn't talking about abuse. I was talking about people asking him what he was going to do in response to his ratings slipping...things like that.
    sorry,didn't mean to jump to conclusions there.
    His listenership figures have gone up though,so he must be doing sometning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

eamon234 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a sort of unofficial ban on discussing this show because he was kicking up about the criticism? There certainly was a while back.
    I hate the way he copies Chris Moyles jingles.

Really? Wasn't going to post until I read that. :p

Foley's OK, he was a bit irritating last year in the run up to the Meteor awards, whoring for votes, but good for a laugh now IMO.

D'arcy needs a slap, I think he's on the brink of becoming a Fenton. :rolleyes:

...but it is only radio, you can switch it off... unless you're listening in a shipping container in Guantanamo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Yes, there was a blanket ban on Ray Foley here. The reason was his threads would just become massive slag fests.

This can stay open as long as it remains civil.
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    I think it's on the Today FM You Tube site that lots of the DJs get bad comments but they leave them up there. Not Knob head Foley though, he can't handle any form of criticism. I can't understand why his ratings are so high! The few times I've been forced to listen to him at work he makes me angry.

Comments like this will only get you carded/banned. Please refrain from personal abuse.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Big foley fan, have been since the blast and that was a good few years ago. School and that prevents me from listening now but he blocked me on twitter also. For a compliment as well i think

One thing i can't stand is how people say it's the kids that are getting him the ratings etc. The " kids " are in school he is many peoples guilty pleasure

Advertisement