Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creature of the Week #26: Zhenjiangopterus

• 03-10-2011 9:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Zhenjiangopterus linhaiensis was an azhdarchid pterosaur. It lived in the late Cretaceous, about 81 million years ago, and its remains were found in China and named in 1994.

The way we imagine and depict azhdarchids today is heavily influenced by Zhenjiangopterus, as it is the most complete member of the family yet found. At first it was thought that Zhenjiangopterus was a relative to Pteranodon and Nyctosaurus (because these were the only toothless pterosaurs known at the time), but in 1997, it was found that it was more related to Quetzalcoatlus, and thus included in Azhdarchidae.

Several specimens of Zhenjiangopterus have been found, all belonging to the same species. They show that the animal had relatively short wings, but still could have a wingspan of up to 3.4-5 meters, being considerably larger than any modern day flying bird.
    Like other azhdarchids, it is likely that it hunted on the ground for smaller animals. It had a long, thin beak, a long neck and lacked any kind of crest or ornament (unless of course these were not preserved due to being made of keratin or some other softer tissue).
    Zhenjiangopterus_jconway.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Excellent choice Mister Khor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Thanx! :D Gotta love azhdarchids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

So did they descend from birds/pterosaurs that originally flew, or what were the point of the wings if it was ground dwelling?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

yekahS wrote: »
    So did they descend from birds/pterosaurs that originally flew, or what were the point of the wings if it was ground dwelling?

Oh, it COULD fly, but it hunted on the ground. Nothing strange really- many birds today are the same, think storks, ground hornbills, roadrunners, caracara...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Galvasean wrote: »
    Excellent choice Mister Khor.
    I think it's a pterrible choice. (see what I done there?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Allosaur wrote: »
    I think it's a pterrible choice. (see what I done there?)

Ptruly pterrific if you ask me.

(Pah flying beasties...LOL)

Ptotally pterrific :D

Advertisement