Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Right so. It seems it is the most up to date. The date is completely backwards so I'm running the update from Dec 1 20141201.
    All the other updates are older than that.
    Have reinstalled xbmc and it will now launch but script failed error when trying to play any field.

Should I just cut my losses and return it to them, they are offering full refund and refund postage.

I was in 2 minds whether to get this box or another one anyway. Disappointed it didn't have a hard power button, and obviously as usual the remote is useless.
    My first box was a droidbox x7 which I think I prefer to the MXQ.

Anyone recommend another similar box around the same price?

The minimal details on this tell me I maybe should stay away...
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171605405269?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

All advice appreciated.
    Also What's everyone's fav air mouse?

Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Android-AMLogic-Streamer/dp/B00P7WI8AA i cant fault these and they have a nice layout in android

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

OK, gearbest have offered me a half refund if I'm willing to get my mx3 repaired locally. Surely they should just send a replacement if it does not power on. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that would even try repair an android box? I think I'll just respond that I want a full refund or replacement unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Slunk wrote: »
    OK, gearbest have offered me a half refund if I'm willing to get my mx3 repaired locally. Surely they should just send a replacement if it does not power on. Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that would even try repair an android box? I think I'll just respond that I want a full refund or replacement unit.

Hey,
    Can you describe problem? Are there any lights? Have you tried to swap power leads/supply?

And which MXIII is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭celt262

I have been argueing since 9th January with them over my box. When I plug in
    USB mouse it reboots. I have opened dispute with paypal.

When I plug it in there is no power. It won't turn on by power button. I have another MX III box and it works fine. Tried it with the other boxes power cable and still nothing so has to be the box.
    Its the 2gb MX III box linked a few pages back. I have another one and its fine. Just this won't power on

• Advertisement

When I plug it in there is no power. It won't turn on by power button. I have another MX III box and it works fine. Tried it with the other boxes power cable and still nothing so has to be the box.
    Its the 2gb MX III box linked a few pages back. I have another one and its fine. Just this won't power on

Are there any lights? Any sign of power going into the device? Red light?

Nope. Nothing at all. The other light up red & blue when powered on. Not a thing from this box :(

Nope. Nothing at all. The other light up red & blue when powered on. Not a thing from this box :(

:( That' a pity.
    There may be one or two things you could try, but it's not worth it.
    Full refund seems best. You could try the UK warehouse for refund, some items can be returned there, even if they've been bought on/from the Chinese site.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Using a hdmi lead my mx box is not recognised by one tv but is by another.
    Would anyone have any idea why this is please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

kenkin wrote: »

I have the same, it is older tv not able to handle the output from the box is the issue I have....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I have the same, it is older tv not able to handle the output from the box is the issue I have....

Yeah unfortunately some tv's have handshake issues with certain boxes.This can be solved on some TV's if the tv manufacturer offers firmware updates for the specific tv in question.

kenkin wrote: »

There are quite a few reasons why this happens sometimes.
    The other TV may be 720p, and the box may be set on 1080p.
    Firmware, (TV and/or Box).
    HDMI port or HDMI cable may be faulty.
    HDMI Cable may not be good enough.
    Among others.

You could try and change the resolution on the box using the TV that does show the device.
    Or, Changing port, or cable or both.
    Or Changing Firmware.

Or, you could try connecting it using the AV cable - as done in THIS VIDEO

There are a lot of reasons for that happening.

Have you tried putting it into recovery mode

massy086 wrote: »
    Have you tried putting it into recovery mode

All I've tried since taking it outnof the box has beenvto try power it on via mains. How would I put it in recovery if it won't power on?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

massy086 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Android-AMLogic-Streamer/dp/B00P7WI8AA i cant fault these and they have a nice layout in android

How do you find the remote, any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

The remote is usable but you are better off buying a air mouse or a simple wireless mouse, makes using the interface a lot more pleasant experience imo.

I liked the remote.for basic openelec xbmc it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ It will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

zerks wrote: »

Unlikely, the M165 is windows only according to Logitech support. The M185 also officially supports Mac and Linux and a couple of Amazon reviews say it's Android capable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Thanks for the help folks, it turns out it was a faulty hdmi lead and not the connection on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Is talk of getting Sky Go working with a rooted Android box going to get me in hot water here? I'm genuinely not sure so want to find out before I go diving in asking for help how to do it.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Is talk of getting Sky Go working with a rooted Android box going to get me in hot water here? I'm genuinely not sure so want to find out before I go diving in asking for help how to do it.

Sky Go wont work on any rooted device. Tablet/phone etc all the same

I read somewhere as well because the device is connecting to external display device this is not allowed by Sky Go either....

Quick question. I have UPC for Horizon bundle. I was going to get rid of paid tv altogether but the Misses just want to keep base and kids channels. We both hate Horizon for TV, it is terrible so I was going to go back to Sky if they will take me

Question is more to do with there broadband. I would like to keep UPC as it suits for connecting the Minix into but I thin they will try and scr*w me for getting rid of the TV so might bundle Sky TV and Broadband. Does anyone use Sky BB with there box/XBMC? is there broadband any good?

Or would I be better looking at Eircom. It is cheap for the few channels we want and I would guess the BB is similar...issue with Eircom is TV box plug into phone line. So they will want to start running stupid cables from hall into sitting room!! not impressed with that

Im in Dublin so would guess I should have Fibre BB....Eircom says my road is supported

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Quick question. I have UPC for Horizon bundle. I was going to get rid of paid tv altogether but the Misses just want to keep base and kids channels. We both hate Horizon for TV, it is terrible so I was going to go back to Sky if they will take me

Question is more to do with there broadband. I would like to keep UPC as it suits for connecting the Minix into but I thin they will try and scr*w me for getting rid of the TV so might bundle Sky TV and Broadband. Does anyone use Sky BB with there box/XBMC? is there broadband any good?

Or would I be better looking at Eircom. It is cheap for the few channels we want and I would guess the BB is similar...issue with Eircom is TV box plug into phone line. So they will want to start running stupid cables from hall into sitting room!! not impressed with that

Im in Dublin so would guess I should have Fibre BB....Eircom says my road is supported

Stick to UPC for the broadband if you are happy with it, its definitely the best service. I pay €45 per month for 240mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sky use Eircom lines so will be the same installation as Eircom regarding cables etc.

Only UPC offer decent non phone line bb AFAIK.

I had Sky for a period before Vodafone and had no issues whatsoever with Kodi/XBMC connection or URLs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Wireless Router in the hallway? Buy your own, the Eircom routers are pretty bad.
    That was my main worry with buying a box, if it had to be wired, I'd have an ugly mess across my fireplace, or have the hassle of doing something permanent about it, luckily the wireless connectivity on the 8h plus is superb, its what ever i get on my laptop.
    I even tethered it to my 4G Iphone and where the phone is getting about 33Mb, the Minix is about 32.65Mb.

dahat wrote: »
    Sky use Eircom lines so will be the same installation as Eircom regarding cables etc.

Only UPC offer decent non phone line bb AFAIK.

I had Sky for a period before Vodafone and had no issues whatsoever with Kodi/XBMC connection or URLs etc

Just concerned about cables with Eircom if I put in there TV. The channels on Eircom TV are prefect for what we want but they want to hard line the Eircom TV box into telephone line, so would need to run cable from sitting room out to hall....would be messy

Anyway way off topic...just wanted to make sure non-UPC BB would be up to standard...I think it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Going to keep the UPC broadband and get rid of the Horizon box.

Can anyone show me the very best box to buy of the Satbox.ie website I'm clueless when it comes to this.

And then just a tutorial video on how to set it up.

I know it's a lot to ask but really want to get one in as soon as possible.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Going to keep the UPC broadband and get rid of the Horizon box.

Can anyone show me the very best box to buy of the Satbox.ie website I'm clueless when it comes to this.

And then just a tutorial video on how to set it up.

I know it's a lot to ask but really want to get one in as soon as possible.

Thanks very much.

Best ring the man himself really. He is best positioned to get a box for your needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement