Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

weiland79 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies but could you give me a little bit more detail please. If you could suggest which homeplugs i should get and how i need to set them up? Are the range extenders i have useless in this set up.
    Thanks for your time.

I'm guessing he means this:
    homeplug-network1.jpg
    Using two wifi/ethernet units (the one on the right) in different parts of the house, closer to where your devices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rear, Downstairs: UPCs terrible CPE, base homeplug
    Rear, Upstairs: Wifi Homeplug 1
    Front, Downstairs: Wifi Homeplug 2
    Front, Upstairs: Belkin

Have them all use the same SSID, same PSK, different channels(1, 6, 11, 13). That'll maximize coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks again that's a great help, I assume though there's no guarantee that it will work and I'll have bought a load of gear for nothing?

With wifi NOTHING is guaranteed. Thats the nature of open spectrum.

If you want guaranteed performance ethernet is the way to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Currently what is the best modem UPC supply? I need to get on to them re poor wifi and i want to be armed with some info so i get sent out the best modem they have.

• Advertisement

joe_99 wrote: »
    Currently what is the best modem UPC supply? I need to get on to them re poor wifi and i want to be armed with some info so i get sent out the best modem they have.

They're all kinda dire, and they refuse to ship you a model you want. Techs say theyve a load of Ciscos left in the warehouse, but when you call they'll deny they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ED E wrote: »
    They're all kinda dire, and they refuse to ship you a model you want. Techs say theyve a load of Ciscos left in the warehouse, but when you call they'll deny they exist.

I got my white Thompson replaced by the Cisco EPC3925 within the last couple of weeks. WiFi is brutal in comparison to the Thompson. Also makes a whining noise every now and then which only a power off a socket rectifies. And connection drops with it.

UPC's answer on twitter was to change the channel

The reason you get the Cisco is to bridge it, not to use it as a router ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rdosemyfeet

Well lads,

There was an outage during the week in the waterford area , after a few hours when the upstream and downstream regained connectivity , pages etc still were not loading

Long story short - On my Cisco 3925, it is bridged into an Asus NT66U , a secondary un-managed switch connected to the NT66U for tree spanning, anything that can be CAT5'd is.

Since that outage occurred , the Cisco modem/router reset itself back into router mode, so I naturally changed it back to bridge, but it does a bootloop and then forces itself back into router mode

Has anyone had this issue lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well lads,

Has anyone had this issue lately?

This issue is all over boards and there's a thread in the talk to virgin forum...
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057514734/10

It's some kind of update they shipped that disables bridge mode like you describe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Where is the wan connection speed on the epc2425?

laugh wrote: »
    Where is the wan connection speed on the epc2425?

There isnt, its controlled by the CMTS not the client (or you could give yourself "Free speed")

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fredotf2

Hi there,

So my cisco keeps dropping connection to extremely slow speeds (around 1 mbps) maybe once or even a couple of times a day now. I usually get 240mb no problem but now it suddenly just drops. I find if I turn the modem off and back on again the US light keeps blinking for eternity on connection, however if I leave it off for 15-30 minutes and turn it back on again the speeds are back to normal (for a couple of hours at least). Nowadays I may have to do this a couple of times a day. Obviously this is not ideal, does this sound like a bad modem issue or a line issue?

Thanks,
    Fredo

The Ciscos overheat, attach a small fan and the problem will disappear.

The Ciscos overheat, attach a small fan and the problem will disappear.

Do you know if the newer virgin media modems have the same overheating problems?

fredotf2 wrote: »
    Do you know if the newer virgin media modems have the same overheating problems?

No sign of no, but unless you upgrade to 360Mb for a Compal the others aren't easy to bridge if thats something you want.

No sign of no, but unless you upgrade to 360Mb for a Compal the others aren't easy to bridge if thats something you want.

Yes so I've heard... Anyways thanks for the help and I'll consider my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Are the 3925s bridgeable again (might be old news that they sorted this out, but I haven't looked into it recently)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Dair76 wrote: »
    Are the 3925s bridgeable again (might be old news that they sorted this out, but I haven't looked into it recently)?

Yes, they are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Great, thanks! That's a little project for me now over the weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is bridge mode surviving reboots, and has anyone's disappeared randomly? The reason I ask is I'm going to bridge the parent's one but I don't live there so wouldn't be on hand if it did go wrong.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Is bridge mode surviving reboots, and has anyone's disappeared randomly? The reason I ask is I'm going to bridge the parent's one but I don't live there so wouldn't be on hand if it did go wrong.

Mines been rebooted maybe half a dozen times /yr, no issues. DSLite migrations happen spontaneously and *might* break your bridge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why do your parents need bridging tho? Sure sure "power users" want to reduce their latency and host stuff etc... but your parents?

You can use your own gear without bridging, no need to overcomplicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

srsly78 wrote: »
    Why do your parents need bridging tho? Sure sure "power users" want to reduce their latency and host stuff etc... but your parents?

You can use your own gear without bridging, no need to overcomplicate things.

How condescending is that reply?

Parents can have the need for bridging too you know.

What if the had CCTV and needed to access it remotely from their mobiles? Or, are parents not allowed mobiles either?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

As stated, hosting was one valid reason. Most people don't need it tho. There seems to be a misconception that you need bridging to use your own equipment.

VM have throttled this modem? it rarely gets full speeds- drops to 80-100mb compared to a TC7200 which gets full speed 99% of the time.with only.a 10-20 mb drop to 220-230 on.a 240mb connection. Plus, does anyone know why it gets lower ping times over all of the the modems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

VM have throttled this modem? it rarely gets full speeds- drops to 80-100mb compared to a TC7200 which gets full speed 99% of the time.with only.a 10-20 mb drop to 220-230 on.a 240mb connection. Plus, does anyone know why it gets lower ping times over all of the the modems

Are you testing over wireless or wired direct into the modem?

You can only get a proper result when wired.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Are you testing over wireless or wired direct into the modem?

You can only get a proper result when wired.

Yep, ofc

Chances are your cable is falling back to 10/100 instead of GigE. Different switch units can be better able to manage crap cables, test with a shorter run to diagnose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi all I've just gotten off the phone with virgin after insisting that I'm not going through all their testing again. I've told them that i want a new router, I'm currently using the technicolor TC7200 and cannot get a decent wireless signal, wired is fine but wirelessly i can't play spotify or youtube etc.

I had an old cisco router and have plugged that in and everything connects and plays fine now but I don't think thats capable of giving me the speed i pay for, or so I've been told by Virgin.

Through the cisco I'm getting a wired test speed of
    Down 9865 kbps and up of 1018

They told me that I'll be liable to pay for the technician to come out if there is no fault to be found with the device.

Advertisement