Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Dealing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Just because material is in a skip, doesn't mean it is waste. A company I worked for, regularly used a skip company to transport offcuts to the hammond lane. And I have used a skip company to transport topsoil from one garden to another. A guy tried to steal my wheelbarrow from that skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

2 stroke wrote: »
    Just because material is in a skip, doesn't mean it is waste. A company I worked for, regularly used a skip company to transport offcuts to the hammond lane. And I have used a skip company to transport topsoil from one garden to another. A guy tried to steal my wheelbarrow from that skip.

Your not compareing like with like the title of the thread is scrap dealing. No garda will charge you for removing scrap from a bin although s/he will want top know what you are doing with it. Guy tried to steal your wheelbarrow? You leave a wheelbarrow in a skip and you call it stealing.

I leave my black bin out the front of my house. I have two bins. one i use to store old clothes for collections the other waste. If the council picked up my clothes bin and emptied it i would not consider them wrong or at fault. You leave a wheelbarrow in a skip and you wonder why someone attempts to take it. Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Nobody in the land will charge you with removing stuff from a skip, The hardest part is proving you got it in the skip. How the law sees it is if the person can prove it was theres it logically asks why would they ask for it back. Unless its a contractor stealing copper in which s/he cannot prove its theirs.

Honestly Its not a worthwhile business any more! I did it a long time!

I am not looking for hundreds of euros per week- maybe 100 or 80 Euro per week would keep me happy. Just trying to make ends meet while the economy heals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

anyone know the scrap price for copper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

anyone know the scrap price for copper?

McGoverns are paying €3 per Kg for copper and a little more than that for "brightwire"- which is the bright copper that comes out of insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

copper should be 4euro/kg now? was gonna go to the place at harolds cross bridge but maybe Ill go to mcgoverns instead. are the dealers honest enough or do they try and screw a layman out of a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Was at McGoverens today

I got around 80 cent for lead per kg

and 3.60 for copper

Seems alright, put your stuff on the scales, check the weight on the little monitor and make sure the guy tells the guy in the office the correct weight.. Get your money and go on your way..

It's ok to find, you take the turn at the barge pub and its about 300 meters on your right, stone arch and has a sign on it. Can't miss it really..

O'Reillys is the Rosemount Industrial park, near the national aquativ center in Dublin 15.

kodak wrote: »
    Was at McGoverens today

Mc Governs use to have a terriable reputation.... Its funny to see them still come up.

how much is brass per kg?

does the scrap yard at harolds cross bridge have a good/bad reputation?

how much is brass per kg?

does the scrap yard at harolds cross bridge have a good/bad reputation?

If your carrying brass anywhere has a good rep it weighs heavy and is worth a 1/3rd less than copper from experience.

Yes they were fine on the bridge but its a long time since i was there.

• Advertisement

If your carrying brass anywhere has a good rep it weighs heavy and is worth a 1/3rd less than copper from experience.

Yes they were fine on the bridge but its a long time since i was there.

great! Im bringing maybe 20kg of copper and brass there on the bus, got some funny looks tonite bringing it home! Its a bit of hassle but its much needed cash

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Any one of you metal gurus :)got any copper sheeting to sell. I,m looking for 3 or 4 pieces about 4'x1' .Thanks

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greenthumb

hi does anyone have any idea how much a tonne of aluminium cans is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

last time i sold aluminum it was about 750 a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

greenthumb wrote: »
    hi does anyone have any idea how much a tonne of aluminium cans is worth.

just out of curiosity roughly how many cans is in a ton?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smiggy

I THINK THERE IS AROUND 50,000 CANS IN A TONNE

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SEVERA

current price for scrap copper 5.45 kg from heagertys in limerick also 5.45 kg united metals limerick brass 2.90 kg sold mine last week. one company in dublin quoted me 5.85kg but it would not be worth the journey for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smiggy

does anyone know what car batteries and cat converters are making

have not a clue sorry, what is a cat convertor does it change a cat into a dog or something if so i will give you a 100 quid for one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

SEVERA wrote: »
    current price for scrap copper 5.45 kg from heagertys in limerick also 5.45 kg united metals limerick brass 2.90 kg sold mine last week. one company in dublin quoted me 5.85kg but it would not be worth the journey for me.
    do you have the name of the company in dublin? thanks

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

dvcireland wrote: »
    do you have the name of the company in dublin? thanks
    i cant be sure which but it was either cummins metal, or mcgoverns metal hammond lane dublin, mind you he said he was giving me a good quote as i had quiet a large amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

Does anyone have any idea what is being given per kg for stainless steel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

WDVladB wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what is being given per kg for stainless steel ??
    1.40kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tuampetsaver

buy a hand held scale and bag all the scrap and weigh before u bring its the only way to know who is honest :D

buy a hand held scale and bag all the scrap and weigh before u bring its the only way to know who is honest :D

Easier way is to know your own weight and stand on the scales first.

It will cost you nothing and its what i done for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WDVladB

CJhaughey wrote: »
    1.40kg

Thanks but please let me know who is giving this price as I called McGoverns this afternoon and they quoted only €1.00 per kg while Hammond Lane quoted €1.22

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I was in O'reillys in Ballybough, he quoted me €7 a stone for "steel" I gave him a mixture of steel scap, he was not too fussy about sort the different types of steel. copper pipe €32 a stone, copper wire €34 a stone and €14 a stone for brass.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the nib

sold ali,copper,s/s,brass the other day in hammond lane in clondalkin.got 426.18 euro .used to go to orielly out past cappagh hospital.always felt i was been ripped.he always paid nearly in 50 notes.ie it would be 150 or 200 .never in between i would say if i had gone to him with same load as during the week i would have got either 350 or 400.he would not have rounded it up.hammond lane for me from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi guys. I have a 11 rads and some copper for scrap. Is there a place around Blanchardstown I could take them to? Anyone have an idea what I would expect to get for it all? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lancewilliams

I'm looking to sell a variety of metal scaps tomorrow, lead, copper cylinders, car batteries. i also have lare amounts of scrap iron around the yard which i'm hoping to sort out too. I too get the feeling whether right or wrong that we are ripped off to some extent in this country (like most things really), that the dealers will take advantage if you don't know what you should be getting.

The bottom line is most of the materials you bring to recycling centres are worth cash, especially as you are delivering and sorting to some extent what you bring. Never mind not getting a cent for these commodities, in some cases you have to pay to get in!

will post back if gain any insight into the murky world!

Advertisement