Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone think Father Ted is overrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

No matter how great something is there will always be those who don't get it,
    Why are we giving them a platform to complain, go home and ring Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Dougal:'' didn't father jack have a trial with liverpool''
    Ted ''no dougal, he was on trial in liverpool.''

probably make the current liverpool squad.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd safely say it's the most watched box set I own, probably watched more than the office, extras, black books and blackadder put together (and I love each and every one of them, well all but season 1 of blackadder). Everyone's tastes are different but for me it's one of the all time greats up there with Fawlty and Steptoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OKeeffer

No!
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    I'd safely say it's the most watched box set I own, probably watched more than the office, extras, black books and blackadder put together (and I love each and every one of them, well all but season 1 of blackadder). Everyone's tastes are different but for me it's one of the all time greats up there with Fawlty and Steptoe.

It's not even the best comedy Linehan and Matthews have done.

That was Big Train:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

gerard-mcsorley.jpg

That's completely unfair !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

OKeeffer wrote: »
    It's not even the best comedy Linehan and Matthews have done.

That was Big Train:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Father Ted was years ahead of it's time. RTE sure missed out on that but it goes to show how reluctant they were to support something satirical where the Catholic church was concerned as late as the mid-nineties.

I have the box set, and it never gets old.

Bye girls!!! Pair of ****..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread was created just because it gives me a chance to read the quotes again. I'm laughing my head off at some of the posts on here.

The Fr. Stone post above has me in stitches. Strangely I didn't like that episode as much until several repeats and the box set. It's by far my favourite now.

Not the biggest fan of the Eurovision or the hairy hands episodes in comparison to the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

RTE is what's overrated for turning down the opportunity to produce such a fantastic show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

psychward wrote: »
    RTE is what's overrated for turning down the opportunity to produce such a fantastic show.

urban legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Take your Big Train discussions to a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

psychward wrote: »

they were never offered it, thank god...remember leave it to mrs o'brien:rolleyes:

No!
    Take your Big Train discussions to a different thread.

It's obviously relevant to this thread considering it was written by the same team as Father Ted, and this is a discussion about the merits of their show. It's also of interest to any fan of Father Ted, also obvious.

I'm hardly gonna start a new thread for every bloody TV programme.

The soccer forum should get rid of it's Liverpool thread and have one for each player instead.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No!
    I hear the names of those who vote NO will be revealed when the polls close and automatic 1 month bans handed out! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

you should.
    The soccer forum should get rid of it's Liverpool thread and have one for each player instead.

actually the analogy would be if there were a thread about Chelsea, and someone kept mentioning liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's obviously relevant to this thread considering it was written by the same team as Father Ted, and this is a discussion about the merits of their show. It's also of interest to any fan of Father Ted, also obvious.

I am the mod and you will obey me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No it's the one programme i can watch over and over again, great comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

If this thread has put you in the mood for a bit of Ted, Think Fast, Father Ted(the raffle one) is about to start on More4 at 10.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I think sociologists and historians will be critically examining Father Ted and its role in the changing of attitudes towards the authority of the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland in much the same fashion as that other great satire, Yes Minister, is viewed in the UK in the context of the rise of Thatcherism or the Cosby Show in the US in post-racially segregated America. It's anything but overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

probably going to get slated for this, but despite it being a very funny show I think it is overrated. The problem is that it's one of very few good Irish comedies and in the absence of any real competition it seems even better than it is.

Imagine if you were English or from the US.. there'd be many more competing shows and people would be more comfortable saying 'yeah, I think it's overrated.' But to slag Father Ted is to slag pretty much the only decent Irish comedy going, which is like an insult to the comedic abilities of an entire nation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No!
    doovdela wrote: »
    No not really. You can laugh at it all the time. Its like friends you laugh at the rerun episodes regardless the jokes don't dry out. They are still funny to this day.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

texidub wrote: »
    probably going to get slated for this, but despite it being a very funny show I think it is overrated. The problem is that it's one of very few good Irish comedies and in the absence of any real competition it seems even better than it is.

Imagine if you were English or from the US.. there'd be many more competing shows and people would be more comfortable saying 'yeah, I think it's overrated.' But to slag Father Ted is to slag pretty much the only decent Irish comedy going, which is like an insult to the comedic abilities of an entire nation :D

The Brits love it nearly as much as we do in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

its on now. its gas

No!
    The Brits love it nearly as much as we do in fairness.

They don't.

I live here. A lot of people have barely heard of it.

It's on the same level as Rab C Nesbitt....the "Scottish fella". Father Ted, the "Irish priest".

It is overrated, and you've proved why by thinking everyone, who is not Irish, loves it.

They don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

what the, god, jesus christ, oh my god, ****ING HELL, jesus, ohhh, what the.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Seriously Richard, all the crap kiddie TV that you watch and you think Father Ted is overrated ... How about saying that <insert any TV series that Richard watches> is overrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

what the, god, jesus christ, oh my god, ****ING HELL, jesus, ohhh, what the.

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again?

I have ya big bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They don't.

I live here. A lot of people have barely heard of it.

It's on the same level as Rab C Nesbitt....the "Scottish fella". Father Ted, the "Irish priest".

It is overrated, and you've proved why by thinking everyone, who is not Irish, loves it.

They don't.

That's just not true. I know plenty of English people that love Father Ted. It also got 11th in Britain's Best Sitcom which would have been voted for by the public. So clearly they do they rank it rather highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No!
    Yes.

It was very good, don't get me wrong, but not so good that after 10 or 12 years i should still hear at least one unfunny cúnt a day referencing it

Good old Irish humour, eh.

Advertisement