Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Dublin

• 23-10-2006 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

are there any decent places in Dublin to surf and is there anywhere to get lessons?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Wrong forum? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

Any good places to surf in Dublin or anywhere to get lessons?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Moved to surfing. Honestly, Alt/Indie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

If you could get 10 high speed ferries to all speed along the shore line at once you might get a wave :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dub_gal

not really in dublin....been lookin for something myself for while but you have to go elsewhere. log onto : http://www.isasurf.ie/ for list of approved surf schools rounf the country...
    but if you want something local and are willing to compromise there's always kitesurfing....heres a list of instructors ::: Enjoy!:)

http://www.kitesurf.ie/hangtime/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Damn straight there is, only under freak conditions. Check this outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm8bv_xKfXs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

East Coast can be pretty good with winds over 30 mph from Southerly direction. Knowing where to look is the main thing, http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/1597/surfspots.html

Drive around any bit of coast this week and you'll have waves everywhere up the east coast to from Courtown to Donabate and Balbriggan. Huge southerly's. Just drive along and look for parked cars with board racks etc parked in strange places!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ok, heres a few surf spots close to Dublin. Waves aren't going to be great, but everything I will mention here is definetly surfable.

Killiney Beach. Probably one of the best on the east coast. Needs a low/mid tide and easterlys. South swell is needed, as always for dublin, etc(!)

Magheramore, just south of wicklow. Best spot near Dublin to surf. A nice bit better than Killiney. Think the carpark is closed now, but you can still park on the side of the road. If theres a southerly swell and easterly winds, go here.

Dollymount strand: (just for the laugh) This beach can catch some waves, helped along by the ferries. Winter is best, and the best times are 7.30AM and 4.30PM. More popular with kitesurfers and windsurfers, but if youre desperate?!

Tyrella beach, up near newry can catch some waves too...
    If theres a storm in the Irish sea.

Bray: right in front of the bandstand. Only works in Northerly swells.
    Dirty dirty water, much like the entire east coast.

Even Balbriggan catches some swell from time to time. Can't think of the conditions necessary offhand, though.

If i remember more, I'll put them in here.

Anyways, I don't know why people bother surfing these waves, unless they live right beside the beaches or something.
    You're much better to head off into the west.
    Donegal, Sligo, Clare, Kerry (in that order IMO) are all excellent, and all have a good few really good waves.
    The west will almost always have some sort of surfable wave. As opposed to the irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Killiney Beach. Probably one of the best on the east coast. Needs a low/mid tide and easterlys. South swell is needed, as always for dublin, etc(!)

worth mentioning that you have to do the mongo dance from the car to the water because it is one of the stoniest beaches in Ireland.....

Booties :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

There is waves to be caught on Dollymount today!

Well, here is Dollymount this morning!

Dollysurf040107.jpg

Not exactly LA, but with my new barge

board.jpg

I may be able to catch some relaxing waves at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

holy jesus - waves like that in dollymount?? Do you reckon there'll be any there at the weekend? that's unbelievable, I never thought it got anything there, I live quite close to it

Just checked this morning, they are all gone! I will keep you posted during the weekend.

ferry wake?

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    ferry wake?

No, it was constant, a bit bigger towards the wooden bridge. The days of big ferry wakes are gone. In the eightys I was one of the fellas who lined up every night in the summer. (in a canoe, couldn't surf a board then) The wash used to be really big, great fun. Unfortunately the wash was eroding the South Wall and the boats were told to slow down.

no more fun.

so will this hellish weather produce any surf in dublin over the next couple of days? anyone?

I got some runs on Portmarnock beach on Sunday, nothing beautifull, but good practice. On my way home there was lovely waves on Dollymount, the tide was in. On Tuesday at lunch time there was really nice waves on Dollymount (again full tide) This morning things were looking like this (The tide is only half way in)

WAves.jpg

A windy and messy!

I reckon on Saturday morning at around nine (high tide is around 8.30) there should be good waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

This winter must surely be going down as one of the best seasons on the East coast in a long time. I've made the trip once already and may be tempted again :)

Enygma wrote:
    I've made the trip once already and may be tempted again :)

In fairness, if its good on the East coast, it must be BRILLIANT on the West coast... Where did you make the trip from?

• Advertisement

Actually if it's good on the East Coast it's most likely crap everywhere else. You need lots of Westerly wind and swell to get the East to light up so that means it's just big huge messy onshore crap everywhere else. Although there are a few spots on the South coast that might be ok ;)

Made the trip up from Cork, first time surfing the Irish Sea, one of the most radioactive bodies of water on the planet. Maybe that's why the vibes are so good in the water :)

Well... your always welcome! I just hope you aren't dissapointed, its very hit and miss. One of the best times I have ever had in 06 was in Inchadonny, brilliant beginner friendly surf, had a ball...

To be honest it was only ok the day we were there but a lot better than our expectations. The day after we left was meant to be absolutely pumping!

Inchydoney is great alright, such a fun wave. Always good vibes down there too.

they look a bit too small in that to surf really no? Anyway - I'm going to check it out saturday morning, hopefully it's good at full tide. thanks for the info, I live real close to dollymount.

they look a bit too small in that to surf really no? Anyway - I'm going to check it out saturday morning, hopefully it's good at full tide. thanks for the info, I live real close to dollymount.

Yeah, its not exactly jaws, they get bigger the closer you get to them though! Don't be to disapointed if there is nothing there on Saturday morning PLEASE!!! It was just an amature guesswork.

wow so saturday morning in dollymount is going to be GOING OFF!!11! Best surf ever can't w8!!!11!!

Ah jaysus... comon!!!

I was there this morning, not really that good, yet the tide was out. I hope its ok tomorrow, where did you catch good waves in Dublin before?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Enygma - Try Garrettstown, the waves were amazing there over christmas.

Surfing on the east coast would usually suck but due to the highwinds recently,there were even some nice waves in Balbriggan nothing too exciting but nice to have it so near!

I've never actually surfed on the east coast, I think it's a waste of time but I've never seen any waves here so I can't really say from experience. I wouldn't bother unless they were at least Streedagh quality and I doubt that happens here very often.

• Advertisement

Once in a blue moon from what I've heard, but I'd take it if this was on offer:
    http://www.dotcobbe.com/surfin/longboardirl/gallery/Ireland-Photos/abt

Advertisement