Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

a lightweight who ,when push came to shove,she wilted,just like her Mayo colleague who has put his 'career' before his undoubted views.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have they started saying it has been railroaded through without proper debate, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sarky wrote: »
    Embarrassingly full of lies and idiocy, isn't it?

The BBC piece makes it look like this is some sort of massive wedge issue in Ireland. It isn't at all, the vast vast vast majority of people support this. The only ones that don't are the "tens of thousands" of right-wing Catholics who are bussed around the country to every protest (paid for by US money) to make it look like there is spontaneous rejection of this legislation keep springing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I concede all your points and accept your motivations as valid. At least you accept that there is a moral dilemma and there are other factors to be at least considered besides the mothers demands.

In the interests of civility (and you have mentioned how you like a civil question...), perhaps you might refrain from leaving "mothers" outside of this moral dilemma you mention, as if it is no moral dilemma for the women experiencing a distressingly unwanted pregnancy?

Your argument comes across as particularly uncivilised when you separate the people who actually face these moral dilemmas (and other factors, as you rightly say) into "people who's motivations are valid" and "mother's demands". Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

bumper234 wrote: »
    Again stop ****ing twisting words to fit your own sick agenda. Show me where i said i think it would be funny to see PEACEFUL protesters attacked as well as wishing violence on them for peacefully protesting.

look at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

look at this.

If this another one of your backseating moments then I am WARNING you to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Saw this in a thread in tLL.

Catholic Voices woman just basically repeats the arguments we've heard before. Pathetic to claim that FG are introducing the legislation to distract from the economic crisis.

Well, we have it from the horse's mouth in that clip. The Catholic Voices rep said there was 35,000 people on the Pro-life rally. Nice that the O/P didn't fall for the trick question last put to her by the Beeb male interviewer and pointed out that the Irish Voter would have the last say on increasing any abortion rights. (6.03 on tape)

Now as for the photo-shot of the hatted bearded one at Leinster House, I can only hope that it is not used by the international media to portray the average Irish person in the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Clare Daly, Joan Collins, Richard BoydBarrett, Mick Wallace, Joe Higgins, Luke Flanagan are all supposed to vote against the bill because it doesn't go far enough.

I'd have to agree with the assessment. It treats the woman like a criminal and the measures for assessing suicidality seems impractical and excessive. However I think the current wording needs to pass, purely because it's liable to take another 20 years to make any progress on it otherwise.I think to vote against it is foolish and counterproductive. Hopefully we can see progress towards a referendum on fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and incest as they also need to be recognised. But Daly and Ming's way is far too risky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Clare Daly, Joan Collins, Richard BoydBarrett, Mick Wallace, Joe Higgins, Luke Flanagan are all supposed to vote against the bill because it doesn't go far enough.

I'd have to agree with the assessment. It treats the woman like a criminal and the measures for assessing suicidality seems impractical and excessive. However I think the current wording needs to pass, purely because it's liable to take another 20 years to make any progress on it otherwise.I think to vote against it is foolish and counterproductive. Hopefully we can see progress towards a referendum on fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and incest as they also need to be recognised.

That's ridiculous, I mean I don't think the bill goes far enough either but there's no point doing a de Valera on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'd have to agree with the assessment. It treats the woman like a criminal and the measures for assessing suicidality seems impractical and excessive. However I think the current wording needs to pass, purely because it's liable to take another 20 years to make any progress on it otherwise.I think to vote against it is foolish and counterproductive. Hopefully we can see progress towards a referendum on fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and incest as they also need to be recognised.

OK, that might explain Mick's reference to how he couldn't advise his daughter to have an abortion. I'm hoping he mean's the bill deprives her and other women of further rights, re the denial of recognition to medically abnormal pregnancies, rape and incest pregnancies and the need to obviate pregnancies in those instances; as I may have taken him up wrong at first on his statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

look at this.

Look at what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looks like they're going to be discussing it for a while yet in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Perhaps the anti-choice loons think filibustering is something that actually works over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Who'da thunk it?! Legislators a legislatin' 'til five in the morning!..in Ireland??!!

Twitterland suggests it's not a debate - just people speechifying..?

Same old bell-ends spouting the same old sh*te. Peter Matthews went full retard with talk of the collapse of society and such.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ almighty; did they honestly ****ing think that abortion on demand in ireland was going to arrive fully formed in a single bill?
    FWIW, i think it was politically sensible not including TFMR issues in this bill - as this bill is to address supreme court/referendum/ECHR issues; so extending the scope past that is foolhardy in terms of opening it up for scrutiny which it is able to avoid for now.

people will wake up tomorrow to find the bill has passed, and that ireland has not fallen asunder in the process, which is the most important thing that can happen as a result of this bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Watching Vinny B and going to stay calm with the help of a few well cooled beers! Dana is one of the panelists so this should be cringeworthy. She's already said the right to life is a god given right, the holy self righteousness is on display :pac:

BTW, where is the dail debate/grandstanding being broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Only Fidelma Healy Eames could make Mary Lou McDonald sound extremely intelligent and concise in making an argument.

(Vincent Brown now)

Sounds like the anti-choice lot have completely lost the plot at this stage. Dana trying to argue with science? F*cking lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

ProLifeGandalf_zps6d9b5c22.jpg

Whats Gandalf doing at the protest ?.

Sarky wrote: »
    Sounds like the anti-choice lot have completely lost the plot at this stage. Dana trying to argue with science? F*cking lol.

Dana is so out of her depth here, her little spiel about DNA and how fertilised ovums were people too was embarrassing :rolleyes:

J0hnick wrote: »
    ProLifeGandalf_zps6d9b5c22.jpg

Whats Gandalf doing at the protest ?.

Waiting for his moment to roar "you shall not pass" at the legislation? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Claire Byrne on RTE1 is looking tired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What the flip are RTE up to.

Radio 1 has effectively gone to bed for the night.

RTE1 has the same old taking heads that have been there all evening. Ronan Mullen makes me want to do an Elvis on the poor TV.

Why don't they dump the talking heads and just relay what's going on in the Dail. The feed is already there.

Embarrassment of a national broadcaster.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Dana is so out of her depth here, her little spiel about DNA and how fertilised ovums were people too was embarrassing :rolleyes:

what the hell does that have to do with legislating what the 1983 constitution requires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

TV3 are just showing the Dáil. Really not sure if I can handle a night of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What needs shouting from the rooftops, again and again, is that it is THEIR stupid 1983 referendum they imposed on this country aided by political cowardice, mass conformity (at least publicly) to catholic teaching no matter how heartless or bizarre, and of course tons of US money that got us into the situation where this legislation is now required.

This legislation has many objectionable elements, but with the constitution as it now stands, women can never quite be equal citizens. The 8th must go.

Life ain't always empty.

Zombrex wrote: »
    what the hell does that have to do with legislating what the 1983 constitution requires?

F****d if I know Z, f****d if I know. Have switched over to primetime, interesting talk with 2 psychiatrists now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Soooo - I was knackered and went to bed with me kindle (stop tittering in the cheap seats). Did I miss anything interesting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement