Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

anyone here intrested in the coursing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Benny Cake wrote: »

Next Irish number 1??
    This is what coursing is all about,great stuff.

Ya, heard this pair on the radio recently. Neither of them have ever been to a coursing meeting but have seen "pictures" so are clearly well informed! Both representing Dublin which as we know is a real hotbed for coursing support...

I wouldn't worry though. No way the government will ban something thats generating upwards of 20 million in the state each year...
    I live in Dublin and yes there are plenty of dogs here including the best run meeting in the country at Ballbriggan.Let me tell you something you are not aware off.The current president M D Higgins was vice president of anti blood sports,the liar Kenny is totally against coursing as he chaired anti blood sport rallys in the past,Eamonn Gilmore has recently called for a ban on coursing,Claire Daly is totally against coursing as are the following Joe Costello,Joan Collins,Joe Grealish and plenty more.the people mentioned are active in their opposition.Wheather you like it or not Dublin runs the show.So start worrying as the above are hell bent on banning coursing .The argument about 20m is rubbish as their answer is drag.

So you wouldn't like a pup out of Five Treasures?
    No would not take one on back breeding.The great grandam Three Of Tender was very poor the dam Daltons Heresay has had one bitch who threw one trial stake winner.Put into the mix an unproven sire of bitches then you would want to get it cheap.Because she could run up the field means nothing ,anyone can buy Quality And Gold pups aswell as her sister Lucan Diva .Plenty of Oaks winners have thrown nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

sting60 wrote: »
    I live in Dublin and yes there are plenty of dogs here including the best run meeting in the country at Ballbriggan.Let me tell you something you are not aware off.The current president M D Higgins was vice president of anti blood sports,the liar Kenny is totally against coursing as he chaired anti blood sport rallys in the past,Eamonn Gilmore has recently called for a ban on coursing,Claire Daly is totally against coursing as are the following Joe Costello,Joan Collins,Joe Grealish and plenty more.the people mentioned are active in their opposition.Wheather you like it or not Dublin runs the show.So start worrying as the above are hell bent on banning coursing .The argument about 20m is rubbish as their answer is drag.

If you do say so yourself! Take your point that the sport needs to consatntly be on its guard though!

pugw wrote: »
    If you do say so yourself! Take your point that the sport needs to consatntly be on its guard though!
    Iam currently doing an article with regard to a study conducted by Queens ,Belfast.The study states that Hares in the the republic are thriving in areas run by the ICC.When dealing with the obnoxious people in Anti Blood sports groups no matter what you prove they have another agenda.Just want to tell you a quick put down I gave to a female who was very anti coursing.I knew in advance she was going to be on a radio show so I found out things about her.She was spouting her anti coursing rubbish,cruelty etc,etc.Then I was asked to comment ,which she kept interrupting and then I struck.I asked her does she get involved in any sport,she said she played golf.I then asked her did she ever hold a position in a golf club,yes was the reply I was lady president/chairwoman.I then asked her did she sign a document requesting Myxomatosis be spread on the golf course to destroy all rabbits young and old.Her phone went dead and she has not been heard since.

• Advertisement

@ sting60 Fair play! That took her down off her whole high moral ground platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

How many Dublin based dogs ran in Clonmel?

Home of coursing is West Limerick/North Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

No would not take one on back breeding.The great grandam Three Of Tender was very poor the dam Daltons Heresay has had one bitch who threw one trial stake winner.Put into the mix an unproven sire of bitches then you would want to get it cheap.Because she could run up the field means nothing ,anyone can buy Quality And Gold pups aswell as her sister Lucan Diva .Plenty of Oaks winners have thrown nothing.

Daltons Heresay has in fact two daughters that threw a trial stake winner, in both cases from their first and only litter - one of them was a Derby quarter-finalist, the other from what i can recall didn't run in Powerstown due to injury

regarding some of her stock being in Pakistan, Clerihan Nell was herself a Trial Stake winner and sold for breeding, that is how she ended up in Pakistan

Daltons herself was a trial stake runner-up and all-age winner and she has thrown at least one Trial Stake winner on each of her four litters to date with one of her off-spring this weekend gone making his third appearance at the Irish Cup (albeit this time only as a reserve)

she has now thrown one of the fastest greyhounds up Powerstown in the shape of Fives Treasure and as stated her daughters have bred from limited oppurtunity - you're obviously entitled to your opinion but i certainly wouldn't expect pups out of Fives Treasure to be cheap

Daltons Heresay has in fact two daughters that threw a trial stake winner, in both cases from their first and only litter - one of them was a Derby quarter-finalist, the other from what i can recall didn't run in Powerstown due to injury

regarding some of her stock being in Pakistan, Clerihan Nell was herself a Trial Stake winner and sold for breeding, that is how she ended up in Pakistan

Daltons herself was a trial stake runner-up and all-age winner and she has thrown at least one Trial Stake winner on each of her four litters to date with one of her off-spring this weekend gone making his third appearance at the Irish Cup (albeit this time only as a reserve)

she has now thrown one of the fastest greyhounds up Powerstown in the shape of Fives Treasure and as stated her daughters have bred from limited oppurtunity - you're obviously entitled to your opinion but i certainly wouldn't expect pups out of Fives Treasure to be cheap
    I stand corrected what are the names of the bitches.

No argument I love you big time.I had a bitch pup ran in Galbally last year with the worst shoulder in history Yadontbewell [82 lbs] look at her clock in the first round[ Shoulder gone in next round].We in Dublin are fighting against everything.She is super bred,hurt her sholder at ten months.4/7 TO Win Castletowngoeghan,2/5 TO WIN Galbally .Brian Jones told me to retire her before she ever ran.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected what are the names of the bitches.

Windgap Heresay Trial Stake winner Clonmel & Kilsheelan and dam of Adios Anna Trial Stake winner Waterford & District. As far as i can recall Adios Anna didn't run again

Honeycomb Tanya never ran herself, dam of Derby quarter finalist Stephens Ray

Windgap Heresay Trial Stake winner Clonmel & Kilsheelan and dam of Adios Anna Trial Stake winner Waterford & District. As far as i can recall Adios Anna didn't run again

Honeycomb Tanya never ran herself, dam of Derby quarter finalist Stephens Ray
    A blue bitch with new breeding could well be in,because all the old champion lines are dead.Buy one and I hope you win the Derby/Oakes.

Bexhill Eoin one of the greatest stud dogs of all time has died suddenly.
    Brendan Matthews says “he was running around the paddock yesterday”.
    He is a huge loss to coursing breeders as his progeny have graced the coursing fields for the past four seasons.
    A Derby winner in 2006, he won the Stud Dog of the Year award for the past three seasons and is a very hot favourite to win it for the fourth time this year.
    This season alone he produced a total of 57 trial stake winners including reserves, a record that is unlikely to be ever achieved again.
    He has sired a total of 164 trial stake winners to date.
    Also this season he sired 23 All Age Cup winners and 14 All Age Bitch Stake winners as well as five Puppy Stake winners.
    With 52 litters on the ground for next season it is certain that Bexhill Eoin runners will continue to dominate the coursing game in the immediate future.
    His passing is a huge loss and it is certain to cause shockwaves for everyone involved in the coursing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

And where is Clonmel - West Limerick or North Kerry - Tipperary is a strong coursing county too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Very sad about bexhill eoin he'll be a big loss to the breeding scene. I wonder who's next to take the number 1 spot

Chance here to show your support for coursing in Ireland...

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-should-hare-coursing-be-banned-385031-Mar2012/?voted=1

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭rosskeen

I see the ICC have announced today that the 2013 National Meeting has been moved to a weekend.

Next year's meeting will be on Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th of February with prizemoney in excess of €180,000. Good move or bad move?

As far as I'm concerned if it allows more people to come to Powerstown to see the coursing then it's certainly a good thing. I know there are a lot of people who would love to go but they can't afford to take three days off work.

I'm just hoping I'll have something good enough to take with me!

rosskeen wrote: »
    I see the ICC have announced today that the 2013 National Meeting has been moved to a weekend.

Next year's meeting will be on Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th of February with prizemoney in excess of €180,000. Good move or bad move?

As far as I'm concerned if it allows more people to come to Powerstown to see the coursing then it's certainly a good thing. I know there are a lot of people who would love to go but they can't afford to take three days off work.

I'm just hoping I'll have something good enough to take with me!
    Great move as I have been requesting this for years.It makes it far more easy for people to travel .It will stop the hotels in the area ripping people off with their price hikes for those few days/nights.Revenue will increase twofold as a result.The vast majority of clubs the length and breath of the country hold their meetings at weekends for the same reasons the ICC are now doing,its a nobrainer.

Great decision, hopefully the place is even more packed than normal as a result... And hopefully I have a runner as well of course!

I must dig out my programme from February year to try and work out if the €180,000 is an increase in prizemoney. The prize money for the Derby and Oaks could certainly do with a boost especially compared to the Irish Cup.

The other thing with the new dates and the expected increased attendance is that it should boost the ICCs coffers. It could definitely be re-invested (or maybe I'm just getting carried away)

But if you get 1000 more people on the Saturday and Sunday the increase from gate receipts alone would be

1000x €20= €20,000 Saturday
    1000x €30= €30,000 Sunday

I could think of any number of places where the ICC could spend that kind of money

• Advertisement

Great decision, hopefully the place is even more packed than normal as a result... And hopefully I have a runner as well of course!
    And we meet in the final.

I must dig out my programme from February year to try and work out if the €180,000 is an increase in prizemoney. The prize money for the Derby and Oaks could certainly do with a boost especially compared to the Irish Cup.

The other thing with the new dates and the expected increased attendance is that it should boost the ICCs coffers. It could definitely be re-invested (or maybe I'm just getting carried away)

But if you get 1000 more people on the Saturday and Sunday the increase from gate receipts alone would be

1000x €20= €20,000 Saturday
    1000x €30= €30,000 Sunday

I could think of any number of places where the ICC could spend that kind of money
    Im trying dig out a letter I sent to the late Gerry Desmond about ten years ago.I remember some points and I think are quite relevent in that people have more money in their pockets on a friday than on a Monday and the knockon effect is more spending.Children are not at school and hopefully we can get younger people into the sport. There will be opposition to this and they are the people with vested interests,self centered individuals.

Great decision, im suprised it hasnt been made before now! A friday, saturday and sunday job would have been even better because it would have meant a massive crowd for the finals! This has taken the pressure off me big time re trying to get time off work :D I was only thinking during the week that i wouldnt get to make it next year!

there is a massive crowd for the last day as it is, while the first day is always the slackest . . . . going Friday-Sunday would have seen an increase in people staying away for the first day imho, you only have to look at the Friday in Limerick

Saturday-Monday a good move, certainly worth a try

Well Lads, been a while since there was any action on this thread.... How're yer prospects shaping up for the upcoming season? We have a fine May sapling out of Kyle James who's coming on well. Long way to go before he's ready for the coursing field but its shaping up to be a great season!!

Yeah not long to go now. Might be another 3 or 4 weeks before we start getting the dogs ready yet. No point peaking in September or October!

Just an aside on something that was mentioned earlier in the thread about which dog will take over from Bexhill Eoin. From my own records (taken from the Sporting Press so its not complete, but a useful guide) the Sires with the most matings this year to date are

Kingsmill Dynamo- 68
    Bexhill Eoin- 50
    Johnny Casanova- 29
    Mafi Magic- 23
    March Is On- 20
    Adios Alonso- 19
    Wallace Green- 16

Now the SP usually print a group of the one sire together so yesterday's had 40 odd Kingsmill Dynamo and I'd expect Adios Alonso and Mafi Magic to increase a bit. But with 376 odd matings registered it should give a good idea of the way the breeding scene is shaping up.

I've counted 43 sires to date which shows there's plenty of choice (I haven't included any Ballymac Meave matings). A few with a handful I'd be interested in getting a look at include Blueview Sam, Prevelence, High and Mighty and Kyle Basil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

hi guys.. had some success last year so hoping to continue into this year.. nice lookin dog by bexhill eoin ouyt of the great RGG. handy but gamey. Hares seem very plentyful this time of year.. and no issues with ground being too hard now theres a welcome change.

Amazing Matthews has the best stud dogs.I have asked a number of times to get Newry Hill blood tested to no avail.Time will tell.

Yeah not long to go now. Might be another 3 or 4 weeks before we start getting the dogs ready yet. No point peaking in September or October!

Just an aside on something that was mentioned earlier in the thread about which dog will take over from Bexhill Eoin. From my own records (taken from the Sporting Press so its not complete, but a useful guide) the Sires with the most matings this year to date are

Kingsmill Dynamo- 68
    Bexhill Eoin- 50
    Johnny Casanova- 29
    Mafi Magic- 23
    March Is On- 20
    Adios Alonso- 19
    Wallace Green- 16

Now the SP usually print a group of the one sire together so yesterday's had 40 odd Kingsmill Dynamo and I'd expect Adios Alonso and Mafi Magic to increase a bit. But with 376 odd matings registered it should give a good idea of the way the breeding scene is shaping up.

I've counted 43 sires to date which shows there's plenty of choice (I haven't included any Ballymac Meave matings). A few with a handful I'd be interested in getting a look at include Blueview Sam, Prevelence, High and Mighty and Kyle Basil.
    Who would bring a bitch to Wallace Green,Adios Alonso or Mafi Magic.March Is On will do well but Jonny is the stud dog this year,very gunine.

• Advertisement

Amazing Matthews has the best stud dogs.I have asked a number of times to get Newry Hill blood tested to no avail.Time will tell.

What would you hope to learn from a blood test?

Advertisement