Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are any of us Really atheist?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time now and felt I had to ask it. If we are really really honest with ourselves are any of us truely atheist? I mean I know we claim to be, I know we post here and we like to try and argue reasons for why we say we don't believe in God, but deep down all of us believe a little bit.

We've all felt the touch of God at some stage in our lives, but because it's such a scary thing to contemplate that there is something out there greater than we are, and there will be consequences for us when we die, it's just easier to pretend it isn't real and hope we are right and we won't have to pay for our sins. We accept things that we clearly know are evil and wrong and unnatural like homosexuality and abortion, because we have be conditioned by a secular society to do so. We sort of clutch at straws in things like evolution or unproven and untested fringe science to try and convince ourselves that the thing that every fibre of or being is telling us is the truth is wrong. We point to tiny inconsistancies in the Blible and focus completely on them while completely ignoring the obvious evidence of God contained within it.

I understand why we do it. It's the easy answer, if this life is all there is then we are free to do what ever gives us gratification without having to worry about facing the consequences of our actions when the end inevitably comes. We can convince ourselves that death will be just like drifting into an endless sleep, rather than something terrifying and unknown and with judgement.

Well I've said my piece. Like I say, this is something I've wanted to get off my chest for a long time now and I thought there could be no better place to do it than the forum which we all reguarly post in to try and re-inforce our comfortable delusion that this life is all that there is and that we haven't been wrong all these years.

So I pose the question to you all: Can anyone here honestly say, if you look deep into your hearts and souls rather than always excepting the easy answers, that if you are really true to how you feel, you will admit that we all know that there must be a God out there, and the Christian God is the only one that answers the questions you ask yourself when you're alone?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hehehe... wow, are you taking the piss?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

April fools methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

sink wrote: »
    April fools methinks!

+1

I am a born again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Got me for 3 seconds. Nicely played.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

sink wrote: »
    April fools methinks!
    And on our Holy Day as well!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/atheist.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Wonder will any of the folks on The Other Forum do an opposite one?

Oh and Strobe, I get one heart for you on the matchmaker feature ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Haha, Mr. smarty pants.

We're gonna crucify you for that one....

...tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I believe the jokes on you if you do it after noon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

strobe wrote: »

Well I've said my piece. Like I say, this is something I've wanted to get off my chest for a long time now and I thought there could be no better place to do it than the forum which we all reguarly post in to try and re-inforce our comfortable delusion that this life is all that there is and that we haven't been wrong all these years.

Looks to me what's actually happening is that you're belief in an imaginary spaghetti monster has been wavering for a while, and you've written this to try and convince yourself that you're not just wasting your time mumbling to, and asking questions of, the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

My position is fairly straightforward.

I'm agnostic, commonly and mistakenly derided as being a fencesitter. It doesn't mean "I don't know" it means "I subscribe to the belief that one cannot know"

Neither theists nor atheists can possibly "know" in my view. They may hold strong opinions, may argue their points with logic etc etc.

But the fact remains, they do not "know"

But I suspect that wasn't really what you were getting at...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

surprise.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Well played.

You win at parody :D.

Advertisement