Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christina Gallagher & The House of Prayer

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

For those who don't read the Sunday World or listen to Joe Duffy* ...
    p1copylx6.jpg

Basically Christina has been visited by Mary for a number of years with messages for the world and apparently regularly displays stigmata. She has established a holy House of Prayer in Tuam (and some others worldwide).

Some Catholics say these claims are false

Seems she's now sitting on possibly more than €10m of very luxurious personal properties in Ireland. There also were claims made a while ago on Joe Duffy about the nature of building work being done for her, anyone got a link to these claims or remember them?

* Scofflaw - I'm looking at you here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

How did she become so wealthy?

And you gotta love that video. I'm converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

aidan24326 wrote: »
    How did she become so wealthy?

Well the allegation is all her mansions and luxury cars have been paid for by donations to the various house of prayers.

From the website linked in the OP:

Funds are urgently needed to complete the
    work on the existing houses as well as for the
    upkeep and maintenance of Our Lady’s chain of houses.

And for those who think that this might be an easy way to get a few million, it's not without some hardship.
    http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping255.htm
    And you gotta love that video. I'm converted.

:)

Oh also existing related thread in Christianity here*:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055219293

* The reason I've posted here is that I very rarely browse that forum and I really really really try hard to limit my posting in that forum to the one thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Ah be fair guys, if you were being visited by the Queen of Heaven and the Mother of God it would be pretty bad form to give her anything but the best 5 star accommodation that money can buy. Why else would she bother showing up in Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I dont think Padre Pio had anything like that, I guess he didnt have expensive taste.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's a thread on this next door in Christianity. In a wonderful bit of circular logic BrainC used the saving been done here, just by Mary, and not by Jesus (which according to the Bible is the only path to salvation) as an example as to how they know when its really God. Therefore it must be a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Is it a registered charity? If not and she has paid the relevent taxes, then fair fecks to her. If people are stupid enough to give her the money, let her build to her heart's content. She's obviously not as stupid as I thought she was. Immoral, yes. Stupid, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Outrageous! Where does the Sunday World get off implying that Amanda Brunker is now slim? Even at that ridiculous angle, she looks hefty x8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

2Scoops wrote: »
    Outrageous! Where does the Sunday World get off implying that Amanda Brunker is now slim? Even at that ridiculous angle, she looks hefty x8.

lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Eglinton wrote: »
    lol
    X2!

ROFL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

x3 @ 2Scoops, snarf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Religion & Spirituality forum ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 14 unhappychappy

JESUS NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY OFF ANYONE SO YES CHRISTINA IS A FRAUD AND CON ARTIST. RELIGION IS FREE. IT'S SAD HOW SO MANY DELUDED PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THESE CON ARTISTS AND IM SURPRISED AS SHE HAS CONNED SO MANY OUT OF MILLIONS THAT SOMEBODY HASN'T SHOT HER AND PUT A STOP TO THEM ROBBING THE VUNRABLE. CHRISTINA CAN'T PROVE WHAT SHE CLAIMS, AS WITH JESUS HE MADE MIRACLES HAPPEN AND PROVED TO EVERYONE [ turned water into wine etc] WHY DON'T THE FOLLOWERS DEMAND PROOF THEN IM SURE CHRISTINA WILL BE PROVED A CON ARTIST, IT'S AS EASY AS THAT, SUMBODY SHOULD DEMAND PROOF, JESUS HAD NO PROBLEM PROOVING

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

JESUS NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY OFF ANYONE SO YES CHRISTINA IS A FRAUD AND CON ARTIST. RELIGION IS FREE. IT'S SAD HOW SO MANY DELUDED PEOPLE BELIEVE IN THESE CON ARTISTS AND IM SURPRISED AS SHE HAS CONNED SO MANY OUT OF MILLIONS THAT SOMEBODY HASN'T SHOT HER AND PUT A STOP TO THEM ROBBING THE VUNRABLE. CHRISTINA CAN'T PROVE WHAT SHE CLAIMS, AS WITH JESUS HE MADE MIRACLES HAPPEN AND PROVED TO EVERYONE [ turned water into wine etc] WHY DON'T THE FOLLOWERS DEMAND PROOF THEN IM SURE CHRISTINA WILL BE PROVED A CON ARTIST, IT'S AS EASY AS THAT, SUMBODY SHOULD DEMAND PROOF, JESUS HAD NO PROBLEM PROOVING
    Please stop shouting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

JESUS HAD NO PROBLEM PROOVING
    Well, it took him three days to rise, while my dough takes between 45 and 90 minutes.

Must have been using a lousy yeast or very weak flour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JESUS NEVER TOOK ANY MONEY OFF ANYONE

Er, read your Bible

Luke 8
    1 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, 2 and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; 3 Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means.

Jesus was financially supported by a group of wealthy women he had "cured" from demon possession. Just like every cult leader that has ever existed :p

art.jones.preaching.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Somebody was watching E3 last night.

Saw a bit of that documentary. Mad stuff, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The story of Ananias and Sapphira in Acts does not fit with your argument. Ananias sold off his land and donated most of the proceeds to the church, but kept a portion for himself and his wife. They were both struck dead when Peter learned they did not give him all their wealth. Sounds like the early Church was run by con men just as bad as Christina Gallagher.

Also Jesus specifically avoided proving his powers according to the Synoptic Gospels.

“Why does this generation seek a sign? Truly, I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation.”

"An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.”

and from John:

"blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

It also explains Satan's temptation of Jesus where he tells him to jump from the pinacle of the Temple and be caught by angels. It is the oddest of the three temptations on the face of it as there are obvious benefits to inheriting the kingdoms of the Earth or to create bread while fasting, but what is the benefit in jumping off the Temple? It would be that he would have proven his identity to the masses. Jesus refused to do so.

She could refer to the example of Ananias and Sapphira to show how she is just following the example of the early Church and anyone demanding proof is just someone of "An evil and adulterous generation" as Jesus would have described them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Dades wrote: »
    Somebody was watching E3 last night.

Saw a bit of that documentary. Mad stuff, Ted.

I watched some of it too, normally shun all 3 related material but that was mildly amusing and the entire country didn't supposedly have a crack addiction(fueled by selling pirate dvds) by the end of the episode.

*Pedant Alert*
    Also, E3 is a gaming conference. Not a tv channel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Not to put too fine a point on it but you may want to read the bible in more detail before coming in here all guns blazing and making such comments. As it is, you're wrong and I mean fractally wrong.

Pompey has already pointed out why this is the case but just a few extra points to add to his excellent post.

Firstly, to deal with your last point first, Jesus had great problems with "proving" his powers. Matthew 4 tells of the temptation in the wilderness of Jesus and while Jesus not only refrains from demonstrating his power he also comments "Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

Secondly, Mark's gospel from which the other synoptics borrow heavily is built on a hidden hero narrative in the style of Homer. In Mark's gospel Jesus is at pains to cover up the "miracles" he performs. In Mark 7 he specifically tells the witnesses not to tell anyone what they saw. The problem is that there is a significant theological rift between John and the synoptics with the synoptics depicting a human Jesus preaching a liberal form of Judaism and making few references to himself while John's gospel has a more conservative Jesus promoting his divinity and making frequent references to himself in the form of the "I am" sayings.

Finally, Jesus' miracles are themselves just syncretic borrowings from earlier traditions. None of these stories are actually historical narratives. Just to take three of Jesus' more famous miracles, the marriage feast of Cana is borrowed from a similar miracle in Greek myth and the story of Dionysus, the raising of Jairus' daughter in Mark 5 is borrowed from a similar story in 2 Kings 4 and the story of Lazarus is borrowed from an earlier tradition concerning the raising of Osiris from the dead by Horus. The Jesus miracle stories are later additions used to bolster the legend of Jesus.

You see, if what you said was true and Jesus "proved" his claims (not that he makes any in the synoptics) then as Mark 7:36 points out his fame would have spread far and wide. And yet we have no contempraneous accounts of Jesus and the extra-biblical references to Jesus that there are are limited in detail.

Granted, Christina Gallagher is a con-artist but then when you have messages in the bible rebuking people for seeking proof such as Matthew 4 or John 20, then what do you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    fractally wrong.

Best phrase ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sarky wrote: »
    Best phrase ever.

Wasn't familiar with the term so had a gander at rational wiki.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fractal_wrongness
    You're wrong there, and there, oh, and there too, there, now let's step back a little, yep, still wrong.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Gbear wrote: »
    Wasn't familiar with the term so had a gander at rational wiki.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Fractal_wrongness

:D

That is brilliant... i am determined to use this quote in full.. some time this week
    You are not just wrong; you are recursively wrong. The wrongness of every possible iteration of any of your arguments is self-similar with the wrongness of your entire worldview.

I have a lot of software developer friends would would really appreciate someone possessing recursive wrongness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

She had a friend onto Joe Duffy today, apparently she's been in the news recently (what for I know not, anyonw know?).

I feel sorry for the poor man more than anything else, it was obvious from the talk with Joe Duffy that he was easily gulled (the bits about how to spot a true prophet {he didn't use that term}, such as not being able to lift them when the "holy spirit entered them" or that they wouldn't notice if you stuck a knife in them during revelation time, are especially revealing of his gullibility), and to be taken in by such a charlatan and snake-oil saleswoman is truly tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You can read about the latest "messages" in Ireland's Eye

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Listened to the man on Joe Duffy, frightening that somebody can believe such utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I used to have a book called "Please Come Back to Me and My Son", which dealt with the "apparitions"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Media player isn't working in that link, so can't listen to the show.

I once had a landlord who was a follower. It was sad to think that the rent I was paying him was indirectly ending up in Christina's pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Media player isn't working in that link, so can't listen to the show.

I once had a landlord who was a follower. It was sad to think that the rent I was paying him was indirectly ending up in Christina's pocket.

Looks like they removed it from the archives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's some religious looney called amma doling out free hugs in dublin soon. i don't know what the catch is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

there's some religious looney called amma doling out free hugs in dublin soon. i don't know what the catch is though.

Ebola Virus, that's the catch

Advertisement