Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Text service being removed from Eircom Landlines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Don`t think many would take it up at that price. Maybe a Euro a Month :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

SpaceTime wrote: »

The only way I could see them keeping it is if it could be subscribed to?

Would it be worth say 3.99 a month?

No charge would be worth it. IP is the future & notifications and access via that path are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

IP is definitely the way forward both for alarm monitoring and for the voice network itself too.

I just think it's a little unreasonable to continue updating a system that's generating almost no revenue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree entirely.

I just think it's a little unreasonable to continue updating a system that's generating almost no revenue.

Agreed but they will have to give end users plenty of notice before turning off the service.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Agreed but they will have to give end users plenty of notice before turning off the service.

Seems to me that's pretty much what they're doing though.

Fundamentally all telecoms companies are changing at the moment.

Their entire businesses are being turned upside down and inside out by changing technology.

If you're a traditional telco like eircom or any of their counterparts in any other country you're moving from a situation where you were a voice telephony provider that provided broadband internet as a supplementary service built on your voice network, to a situation where your voice network's now just an application on your broadband platform.

Essentially eircom's moving from being a phone company to a pure ISP.

Same with cable companies like UPC, your TV service is suddenly a supplemental service and the core business is providing broadband.

Even the mobile industry is going from a situation where it's all about voice and texts, to a situation where voice and texts are just applications sitting on a high speed 3G and 4G data network.

Effectively the core business of mobile providers is rapidly becoming being a mobile ISP and doing hire purchase agreements on extremely expensive handsets that are basically just portable computers.

Free IP services like WhatsApp, iMessage, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts etc are gobbling up SMS traffic. I'd say that technology will probably become obsolete entirely in a very short time or will be adapted into being something else entirely.

I certainly can't see them charging for SMS messages like they do at the moment. They'll have to be free or almost free.

So, I can see exactly why eircom are probably going to put the landline SMS servers in a skip at some stage rather than spend money upgrading or replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

out of interest, how dò phonewatch panels communicate? i always thought they use sms over the land line.

Its basically information sent over a standard PSTN line.

They basically dial into the monitoring centre over a PSTN line and send a very short amount of information using a modem.

Because it's 1 line of data being sent at most, they can use a very simple modem that means you've no need to do all that checking of the line and complicated handshaking that high speed modems used for dial up internet access need to do.

I'm not sure if the more modern panels use IP over GSM data. They certainly would be capable of doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

Many of the newer panels would have the ability to be monitored over IP .
    Some monitoring stations are playing catch up when it comes to this.

• Advertisement

There are still a few systems, including alarms and also Sky's set top boxes, that are over reliant on voiceband modems for communication.

The problem is that there's a huge difference between how a traditional digital PSTN line (i.e. bog standard eircom line) and a VoIP service handle audio. To your ear, the VoIP service may actually sound better, but the compression can be much more dynamic and adaptive than a PSTN line resulting in all sort of chaos for the modem.

Basically, a PSTN line just samples at 8kHz and with only 8bit resolution using a somewhat non-linear system that's adapted to ensure human voices sound good.
    VoIP and also mobile phone networks can be way more flexible than that but it kills modems that are totally restricted to the PSTN approach to things.

At this stage, we're at the tipping point where PSTN lines are becoming less common than they once were and IP services are replacing them.

The alarm companies and Sky would want to seriously catch up! They're lost in the 1990s somewhere.

PSTN phoniness are rapidly becoming about as relevant as fax machines.

The alarm companies and Sky would want to seriously catch up! They're lost in the 1990s somewhere.

Most systems on the market have other forms of communication so are not reliant on a phone line.
    The relation to this service comes about on older systems reliant on the texting service.
    This thread was set up to make people aware of same.

Are there any adaptors that might send the SMS traffic through an IP system?

i.e. some kind of a device that contains a modem and can produce the necessary dial tone and PSTN voice paths to connect to the panel and then transmit the data back to the monitoring centre over IP or that could convert it back to GSM SMS ?

Are there any adaptors that might send the SMS traffic through an IP system?

i.e. some kind of a device that contains a modem and can produce the necessary dial tone and PSTN voice paths to connect to the panel and then transmit the data back to the monitoring centre over IP or that could convert it back to GSM SMS ?

If you have an older system that relies on the text service then fitting a voice dialer or GSM would be the easier solution. I have not seen any other device that will do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Hi Lads, will this affect a HKC GSM - P dialler hooked up to a Securewave 1070 ? Someone was telling me it still use's eircoms system and will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

imitation wrote: »
    Hi Lads, will this affect a HKC GSM - P dialler hooked up to a Securewave 1070 ? Someone was telling me it still use's eircoms system and will be affected.

No it does not,, that unit utilises a mobile phone network so your texts will function regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

No as one is a GSM over a mobile network and Eircom is a landline kind of obvious if you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭tippgaafan

Is the email notification on the Siemens SPC up and running. Will a firmware upgrade be required ?
    Yeah, that's the great thing with the DTV having text, voice and CSM.

Just to put it out there. Siemens from next month will have email notifications via SPC secure.

imitation wrote: »

No it will not effect you if using a GSM-P.
    These systems use there own sim card. Nothing to do with Eircoms Phone service.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Just came across this thread, never heard about fixed line SMS being phased out as currently don't have Eircom as our service provider on the fixed line so didn't get /probably won't get notice about the seice becoming redundant.

We sue the fixed line SMS of a SW812 and its very handy feature, so when the service disappears then looks like 2 options really?

GSM-P unit to exisitng panel

Replace with a new control panel

What would the cost for either?

• Advertisement

In the long run upgrading to an IP panel with free apps, free notifications and free remote access would be the cheapest option. As all these services only require an Internet connection you will never be tied to any provider either.
    Just beware of companies trying to sell or over sell you subscription service for these.
    Siemens, Risco and GSD provide all this for free.
    I was pricing a job the other day where the customer was quoted €120 a year just to use an app to connect to the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

altor wrote: »
    No it will not effect you if using a GSM-P.
    These systems use there own sim card. Nothing to do with Eircoms Phone service.

GSM is almost pointless unless it has heartbeat/keepalive

blocker - 5 dollar :(

I agree,
    Very frequent polling. Looking into the setting on the new Siemens software you have the ability to set polling as high as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Darando wrote: »
    Just came across this thread, never heard about fixed line SMS being phased out as currently don't have Eircom as our service provider on the fixed line so didn't get /probably won't get notice about the seice becoming redundant.

We sue the fixed line SMS of a SW812 and its very handy feature, so when the service disappears then looks like 2 options really?

GSM-P unit to exisitng panel

Replace with a new control panel

What would the cost for either?

A voice dialler would be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Spotted this is the Eircom November roadmap document here

Withdrawal Fixed SMS Service
    eircom are withdrawing the Fixed SMS service as of the 30 June 2015 to all Operators.

It's on the bottom of page 24 in the November 2014 roadmap doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Zith wrote: »
    Spotted this is the Eircom November roadmap document here

Withdrawal Fixed SMS Service
    eircom are withdrawing the Fixed SMS service as of the 30 June 2015 to all Operators.

It's on the bottom of page 24 in the November 2014 roadmap doc.

I just received an email from the PSA confirming same.

gctest50 wrote: »
    GSM is almost pointless unless it has heartbeat/keepalive

blocker - 5 dollar :(

Heartbeat/keepalive?
    I take it you are comparing to a polling device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

to people who use this service on there alarm ?

faolteam wrote: »
    to people who use this service on there alarm ?

Radio would be the hardest to block.
    Polling devices work by missing so many polls but by the time that happens an intruder may be long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

so what would be the best option now

Advertisement