Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iron on laminate, on worktop?

• 30-11-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys,

I have a Big sheet of laminate that I want to iron onto an old timber worktop.
    Was going to just sand the worktop down but its stained from years of water dripping on it and i just want to make it look a little nicer.
    Whats the Best way to goo about this.
    I was thinking Just cut the rough shape out, place it ontop and iron it on. should i put something between the Iron and the Gloss finished laminate so it doesnt mark or burn it?
    If i round the edge of the counter top is it possible to bend the laminate when its heated and stick it as one piece? or is it better to do the top and then seperately do the edging?
    Should i put weights/blocks on top for pressure to get a good grip?

its a granite effect laminate sheeting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hydroflyer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Is the old surface damaged or just stained?

I may have been tempted to paint it if it was not damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

is there a glue on the laminate sheet?i wouldn't imagine there is

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hydroflyer

I was told it was just iron on laminate, so I presume it has glue, and when its heated up it becomes sticky? If not what sort of glue? I have loads of waterproof PVA or I could get a tube of Tec7. Im pretty sure it has glue already on it though, and its rolled up so would have the problem of having to clamp it down some how while it sets.

Yea I wanted to just sand it down and put a nice varnish over it but herself thinks there is too much timber in the kitchen already :(

Thanks for the Replies Lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Un roll the laminate out and if the back of it is very smooth there is no glue on it. If there is no glue you will need to stick it on with contact adhesive that needs to be applied to both surfaces and not a job to be undertaken if you have not done this before as it can turn bad very very quick... Are you sure your not talking about iron on edging that it in a roll? Because you iron that on and it already has the glue on it..

Advertisement