Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American to Chicago

• 05-07-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey all,

Flew American to Chicago a couple of years ago and while it was overall a decent flight, there were no seatback screens. Have they changed this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Simple answer: no, they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cschear87

Hi,
    If you want an alternative I would consider flying Continental. I'm American and have flown back and forth multiple times and always try to use them. good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 theirishhoser

Ah. Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

cschear87 wrote: »
    Hi,
    If you want an alternative I would consider flying Continental. I'm American and have flown back and forth multiple times and always try to use them. good luck!!

Continental have now merged with United

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I flew Dublin to Chicago with American last month. The check-in system in Dublin Airport was crazy. You have to get through their own security desk before check-in and bag drop, which caused huge delays. I queued from before 07:00 til after 09:00 (flight supposed to leave at 10:00). American paid for everyone to use the Fast Track lane through security, and then we queued for Customs and Immigration and then another security check. They did hold the flight for everyone but it was chaos.

The flight itself was fine (overhead screens as mentioned above), but I would only consider flying with them again if they figure out some better check-in system. Or if the price was unbeatable :) United seem to come in a bit cheaper for that route in any searches I've done. We only chose American because we were bringing our cats with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Flew with American last week from JFK to Dublin. Plane was old, staff weren't the friendliest and it is a let down not having your own tv ! Seat was comfortable and good room and the food was decent enough ! Bring headphones if you're going with them or they'll charge you for them. It was the cheapest option and was good value for money in the scheme of things. Flew with BA on the way over and that was miles better ( and the same price ) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

biddywiddy wrote: »
    I flew Dublin to Chicago with American last month. The check-in system in Dublin Airport was crazy. You have to get through their own security desk before check-in and bag drop, which caused huge delays. I queued from before 07:00 til after 09:00 (flight supposed to leave at 10:00). American paid for everyone to use the Fast Track lane through security, and then we queued for Customs and Immigration and then another security check. They did hold the flight for everyone but it was chaos.

The flight itself was fine (overhead screens as mentioned above), but I would only consider flying with them again if they figure out some better check-in system. Or if the price was unbeatable :) United seem to come in a bit cheaper for that route in any searches I've done. We only chose American because we were bringing our cats with us.

Most carriers operate on that system, I have flown American, Delta and United from Dublin and all of them had the Passport/Security check before check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Most carriers operate on that system, I have flown American, Delta and United from Dublin and all of them had the Passport/Security check before check in.

Did it create such a big backlog with each airline? American had two transatlantic flights checking in around the same time (JFK and ORD) and just 3 security desks (apart from the Business Class lane, which had its own security desk). The staff just seemed stressed out and one staff member, who seemed to be a supervisor, asked around to see how long everyone was queueing. I suppose the fact that a lot of transatlantic flights leave around that time meant that security and immigration was busy and sure to cause some extra delays on the way to the plane.

I flew to Newark from Shannon in April with United. They did have one security checker, but it was all quite calm and organised. Maybe that's just because it's Shannon and things never seem to get too busy there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It may also be due the fact that the JFK route for American only started in June and like most new things there are teething problems...

Disclaimer: I don't work for either DAA or AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

biddywiddy wrote: »

Sorry for the late question on this post - can you tell me what food and drinks are complimentary on this flight? I am taking the same one in a couple of weeks - lets hope they've sorted out their checkin problems!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You'll get free lunch and a snack before landing.

Soft drinks, beer and wine are now complimentary. Spirits you will be charged for.

Advertisement