Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chicago Terminal Five Aer Lingus

• 13-11-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Thinking of traveling through O'Hare via the Aer lingus fllight from Dublin. I notice that the flight lands at O'Hare T5 and am a little worried that since it's the "international" arrivals terminal I'd have to go through Customs again despite of pre-clearing in Dublin. Also, how long would it take me to get to T2?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

They won't make you go through customs and passport control twice. I regularly fly into the international terminals of Newark and Philly from Ireland and we always bypass customs and passport checks. Sometimes they will even gate off a passage so that we are passing within inches of the Germans, Italians and Spaniards standing in line with their passports.

Been years since I was in O'Hare so I can't remember how far T5 is from T2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup, you'll just be guided through. Most you will have to worry about is dirty looks from the poor sods queueing beside you ;)

Transferring between terminals shouldn't take longer than 20 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, once you arrive in the Immigration Hall, there will be a nice lady from the TSA with a loud booming voice directing passengers from Ireland to proceed straight on thru, bypassing the check points completely. You can't miss her. She won't let you miss her. The last thing the folks in Chicago want is want is stray lambs from Ireland clogging up the immigration queues unnecessarily. As Buffybot says, it is fun to look at the puzzled and envious looks at the masses of people waiting to clear Immigration as you just zip on thru !

As you exit, you just hand your customs declaration form to a dude at a desk and you are in the International Arrivals Hall. Take the escalator upstairs and follow the signs to the monorail train that will take you to T2. They come every 2 mins. The journey is not long. Total trip time from when you hit the Immigration Area to T2 is 10 mins, maybe 20 if there is a long line of people waiting to hand over their form to the customs dude.

Once you are in T2, you are in the main check in area, not the actual departure gates themselves. (Chicago does not have an international transit area that the likes of Heathrow or Paris have.) You'll still have to go thru the same airport security procedures as if your journey was starting in Chicago...queue up, take belts, shoes off, put your hand luggage thru scanners etc etc. The lines can be quite long, so don't dilly dally when you first arrive in T2, unless you have several hours to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

ProudDUB wrote: »
    As you exit, you just hand your customs declaration form to a dude at a desk and you are in the International Arrivals Hall. Take the escalator upstairs and follow the signs to the monorail train that will take you to T2. They come every 2 mins. The journey is not long. Total trip time from when you hit the Immigration Area to T2 is 10 mins, maybe 20 if there is a long line of people waiting to hand over their form to the customs dude.

That will be impossible as you will have had your customs declaration form taken off you when you pre-cleared immigration and customs in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

lynchie wrote: »
    That will be impossible as you will have had your customs declaration form taken off you when you pre-cleared immigration and customs in Dublin.

They used to do it the way ProudDUB describes. Immigration was done in Dublin but Customs was done in Chicago. When I went this year, both were done in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 theirishhoser

Thanks for all the info everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My bad. I haven't flown into O'Hare since last Spring. Didn't know that they had changed the procedure. Howev, unless they have totally redesigned the Customs and Immigration area, you still have to by pass the Customs official collecting forms as you exit. Passengers arriving from Ireland may not have to hand in the form, but the folks in front of you (that are arriving from other countries) still do. So the long lines may still be there if you are worried about transfer times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Customs and immigration are both done in Dublin now, so you're bags should be transferred for you (before you had to get them from baggage claim, walk through customs, then leave them at another baggage belt.)

You're directed around immigration.......which is fantastic when you go up the escalator and look back and see the hundreds of people in line during peak travel times.

Advertisement