Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars 101

• 27-05-2015 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

After a very very long hiatus of not driving (8 years) I have bitten the bullet and bought a car. For those of you worried about me on the road, I actually took lessons to see if I "remembered" how to drive prior to purchase - I was worried myself! Whilst checking out the threads on this site, I realised how little I know about cars in general! Is there a garage/school that gives lessons on the basics - tyre changing (I *think* I know how...) change spark plugs, air filters and the like? I'm sure my Dad showed me 15 years ago when I got my first car but it always used to be him and he's not around anymore....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Sometimes there are car maintenance courses on in the night school type of thing. Check with your local VEC (whatever it's called now, I think Education and Training Board) who might have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up youtube and ere for tips.

What type of car and if anything goes on it as said look up youtube once it's a simp,e enough fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Look up youtube and ere for tips.

What type of car and if anything goes on it as said look up youtube once it's a simp,e enough fix.

T'is just a Golf, and I think most posters here don't realise how daunting a car's innards are to the uninitiated! I've watched a clips, googled plenty of how to guides, and as soon as I pop the hood my brain freezes. (hmm....that looks different...) Now, I've got a trusty mechanic to whom I'll bring the car to when required (he's about 20 miles away) so this mainly for my peace of mind - if the tyre blows in the middle of the night and my phone battery is dead...I can change the tyre myself! (or some other car magic thing!)

Jump starter cables for instance - the theory is easy - plus, minus, snap them on the car battery - in practice - red is plus? minus?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Red is plus/positive.

Why not have a go in the drive changing the wheel.

If you do make sure to check nuts after a few drives.

The engine cover which is the air box/filter covers the leads/plugs and most of the engine.

Oil dip stick easy check on level ground take out wipe put in and take out to see level.
    Check coolant and other levels about once a week.
    Tyre pressure check regular also and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

You tube is a wealth of information. Funnily enough the instructors in FAS used to play videos to show different procedures as it was easier than actually teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

bisounours wrote: »
    T'is just a Golf... (hmm....that looks different...)

Is it a 1.4 petrol Mk. IV (98-03ish)? They're awkward enough to work on in terms of basic stuff like accessing the air filter,spark plugs and the throttle body for a bit of a clean. A haynes manual for whichever one you have would be good as you could have it there beside you as you work.
    b8014_vw_golf_bora_workshop_manual__46894.1410008070.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Advertisement