Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

j1smithy wrote: »
    A second reason for tolling, is that the road is expensive to build and maintain. Although the road is of economic benefit to the entire country, is it not appropriate that those that use it most pay for it?

Besides it is possible to reduce the amount you pay by reducing the number of trips through the bridge and by living closer to your place of work.

Good input there smithy! So why don't the locals down the country whose minor b road has just had a fresh coat of tarmac laid onto it get the bill posted to them too? After all why should the people who don't use it be paying for it. Sure why not stick a toll booth on it while you are at it - we pay road tax for this!

You'll find that the M50 is more economically viable than many roads when you factor in the costs of construction versus the amount of use it gets.

As for your last comment - I am not going to feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What angle do the cameras take a photo at? By the looks of the diagram it looks very acute so if you had say a few large planks of timber on a roof rack overhanging, I wonder could it read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to call in Mythbusters. :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Time to call in Mythbusters. :D

lol would clear up some of the suggestions on how to doge he toll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

cormie wrote: »
    What angle do the cameras take a photo at? By the looks of the diagram it looks very acute so if you had say a few large planks of timber on a roof rack overhanging, I wonder could it read it?

Like a Nissan Micra carrying an 8x4 sheet of plywood, :) Give it a few weeks and we will hear them all.

Another good one would be to dress your car up with bunting and flowers as if its for a wedding covering from back to front. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 T1890

Does the eflow tag work in all lanes of the M4/M6 toll plaza or whats the story with that? Sorry if this has already been answered

T1890 wrote: »
    Does the eflow tag work in all lanes of the M4/M6 toll plaza or whats the story with that? Sorry if this has already been answered
    Not yet, there will be another big hullabaloo when that day comes.

Used it for the first time today since the barriers went and went through swiftly enough only to be greeted by a traffic jam no more than 200 meters past it stretching for as long as I could see, luckily I was taking the next (Blanchardstown) exit. What a joke. I also didn't notice any cameras on the gantrys. Are they hidden within them or what? Any photos of the actual camera mounted gantry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Used it for the first time today since the barriers went and went through swiftly enough only to be greeted by a traffic jam no more than 200 meters past it stretching for as long as I could see, luckily I was taking the next (Blanchardstown) exit. What a joke. I also didn't notice any cameras on the gantrys. Are they hidden within them or what? Any photos of the actual camera mounted gantry about?

found this

0001ac6f10dr.jpg

thanks, but is that image real or CG?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks very real to whats actually on the ground to me...

thanks, but is that image real or CG?
    Real.

I notice that alot of the locals around here that comute daily to Dublin have removed their front plates in order to evade the tolls.

Would it be feasable for the Gardaí to have a checkpoint on the M50 to catch plate removers?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Real.

I notice that alot of the locals around here that comute daily to Dublin have removed their front plates in order to evade the tolls.

Would it be feasable for the Gardaí to have a checkpoint on the M50 to catch plate removers?
    They can also catch them on their rear plates, no doubt the cops will be cracking down on this.

ehhhh... eflow.ie want to charge me €5.10 for my 1 passing today:eek:

Goods vehicle with an unladen weight exceeding 2,000KG but not exceeding 10,000KG.

€5.10 can't be right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Goods vehicle with an unladen weight exceeding 2,000KG but not exceeding 10,000KG.
    Welcome to Rip Off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Are you sure they can catch you on rear plates? Have heard of a number of people who have covered up their front plate by one way or another and have not been charged....

It better not be right, it's €2.80 usually for me. Ford Transit 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Didn't we discuss before that your van falls under the 2,000KG unladen weight class(just.) Think you said you didn't have a "jumbo roof" model.

It better not be right, it's €2.80 usually for me. Ford Transit 350.
    All 350's come in under 2,000kgs except the "jumbo roof" model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As I still can't get through to Eazypass and they won't reply to my emails, does anyone know what happens if you have a tag but it doesn't match your registration?

Didn't we discuss before that your van falls under the 2,000KG unladen weight class(just.) Think you said you didn't have a "jumbo roof" model.

Yup, but when I put in my reg, they want €5.10 off me!:mad:

Tolls for these commercials should be based on weight, ie they should have a weigh bridge and allow them to pull over, other than this they should lower the toll or have a cap on it. I also use my van for leisure and will not pass the toll with an empty van, ie on a Suday.

Run to Da Hills and TaxMan, you both have vans yeah? What price comes up when you put your reg in at the pay as you go part on eflow.ie? That is the right place to pay for non tagged journeys, right?

Run to Da Hills and TaxMan, you both have vans yeah? What price comes up when you put your reg in at the pay as you go part on eflow.ie? That is the right place to pay for non tagged journeys, right?
    Mine is the Highroof LWB, not the high cube as Tax mans. He pays a higher rip off rate because his van is about three foot longer than mine. I would have to pay the rip off fee of 3.80 if i use this plasa as I have no intention to submitting to the "system". I.E purchasing the electronic tag.

I'm in a Ford Connect so it's €2.80 for me.(tag account) I'd tell them to have a hard look at the Ford spec sheet. That's surely what they need to go by when they set vehicles into different weight classes.

Just put my reg into the non registered payment section and it automatically puts me in the under 2,000kg class.€3.80.:eek:It also lets me pick that weight class manually. What happens if you manually choose under 2,000kg class with your reg? Will it revert to over 2,000kg?

edit: Manual weight class option now locked out for me.

I'm in a Ford Connect so it's €2.80 for me.(tag account) I'd tell them to have a hard look at the Ford spec sheet. That's surely what they need to go by when they set vehicles into different weight classes.

Just put my reg into the non registered payment section and it automatically puts me in the under 2,000kg class.€3.80.:eek:It also lets me pick that weight class manually. What happens if you manually choose under 2,000kg class with your reg? Will it revert to over 2,000kg?
    I presume they go by the unladen weight of the vehicle as in the registration book, I.E mine is 1 tonne, as a front wheel drive, the rear wheel veresion would be 2 tonne etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Victor_M wrote: »
    Good input there smithy! So why don't the locals down the country whose minor b road has just had a fresh coat of tarmac laid onto it get the bill posted to them too? After all why should the people who don't use it be paying for it. Sure why not stick a toll booth on it while you are at it - we pay road tax for this!

You'll find that the M50 is more economically viable than many roads when you factor in the costs of construction versus the amount of use it gets.

As for your last comment - I am not going to feed the troll.

I take exception to being called a troll, when what I say is correct.

I agree with you though that the M50 is a very important piece of infrastructure, with more economic value than many roads. However if we were to fund it totally out of car tax revenue, there wouldn't be much left to go around anywhere else. Car tax increases would be massive and affect the poorest living in the country. I don't see the problem in that M50 users fund the M50 upgrade.

I don't like paying the toll either, but one of its purposes is infact to price people off the road in order to reduce congestion.

With the barrier free tolling, we can expect to see the number of licence plate thefts rise astronomically. It happened in London, it will happen here. In fact, I can see the non tag options being phased out in order to combat this. (The tag transmitting chassis no, which will be matched off a database with reg plates and a guard stopping all non compliant motorists)

Why can't this thread be renamed to "The M50 Barrier Free Trolling Thread" :D
    j1smithy wrote: »
    I With the barrier free tolling, we can expect to see the number of licence plate thefts rise astronomically. It happened in London, it will happen here. In fact, I can see the non tag options being phased out in order to combat this. (The tag transmitting chassis no, which will be matched off a database with reg plates and a guard stopping all non compliant motorists)
    Just like the UPC / EAN bar code that started off voluntary and eventually became manditory I can see the E_tag following suit. (Like the National ID :D). It will eventually become a part of a EURO interoperable registration disk and will be made a more permanent fixture in a car. Already fixed ANPR cams have been sighted along QBC's across the city, one recently set up on the N7 before Nulans X with technicians testing it with number plates. RFID tracking is much more positive and discrete than ANPR and less prone to fraud. http://www.corporatecam.co.nz/ANPR.html

• Advertisement

I presume they go by the unladen weight of the vehicle as in the registration book, I.E mine is 1 tonne, as a front wheel drive, the rear wheel veresion would be 2 tonne etc.

You can bet whichever source of weight class they looked at, they picked the one that'll make them more money.:mad:

Advertisement