Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I agree about the feast or famine! I went through a spell of guys messaging me with "wot u up to", or "hey, hws u sxcii", or just people I wasn't interested in!

All of a sudden, there's about 5 or 6 guys messaging me who are attractive, really funny, and totally on my wavelength!

I have obviously overlooked something *suspicious face*

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

coco_lola wrote: »
    I agree about the feast or famine! I went through a spell of guys messaging me with "wot u up to", or "hey, hws u sxcii", or just people I wasn't interested in!

All of a sudden, there's about 5 or 6 guys messaging me who are attractive, really funny, and totally on my wavelength!

I'm thinking the very same thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

So happy to be hearing all these success stories :) I'm talking to a few really nice guys at the moment. Looks like a couple of them are heading up to the Rory Gallagher festival, as am I. So it looks like there won't be "first dates" as such, but we'll meet up while we're there. So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Love hearing success stories. :D

I bit the bullet and text yer 'wan back, she got back to me and apologised for not replying sooner she is crap at texting and was doing mad shifts in work. We are both busy over the long weekend, but I'm assuming she would have either
    (if she didn't wanna meet up again):

(a - Not text me at all
    (b - Text me and said she wasn't interested

So we'll hopefully arrange something for next week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Well I took the plunge, pic and all, tried messaging a few wans, no reply as yet. Hmmm

• Advertisement

• Everyone and their dog uses online dating now. And this makes it really annoying. Before the only people that would use it was people who were genuinely interested in meeting someone. Now, since everyone is on it, their friends come on to check it out and see what the fuss is about, but aren't looking for anything at all and it makes it hard to figure out who is being genuine and who is having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Everyone and their dog uses online dating now. And this makes it really annoying. Before the only people that would use it was people who were genuinely interested in meeting someone. Now, since everyone is on it, their friends come on to check it out and see what the fuss is about, but aren't looking for anything at all and it makes it hard to figure out who is being genuine and who is having a laugh.
    Yep agree with that to an extent. Although one or two of my more old fashioned friends still raised an eyebrow when I told them I'd gone on dates with guys I met online!

Kinda fed up of it this last while, nothing much happening. have signed up for speed dating - HELP!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

coco_lola wrote: »

My theory is that now that the summer is here people are finished college/exams and want to go out and have some nice dates in the good weather.
    Haven't used online dating in earnest for a while now. This coming Sunday will literally be my first day off from work in 3 weeks (then I'm off to work in Limerick for a full week) so organising dates has not been easy in the slightest. In fact I have so much going on at the moment my head is melted and I don't think my fragile psyche could cope with the stress! :p
    That said, I briefly logged into POF (more out of force of habit to be honest) and three of the five or six faces looking back at me (in the 'these people have viewed you at some point' thing) were one of my best friends, my sister and one of ye lot. I'll be on my way so.

Blasted thread, put the idea into my head... just went and messaged someone didn't I? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Deleted profile again after another pi**taker who I've been chatting to for about 3 weeks and still haven't met.. I say 'you free at the weekend' he says 'not sure yet' after asking last week was I free... Not a fan of time wasters and peeps wasting your time until something better comes along. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well, my mad couple of weeks are over, but the guy I was supposed to have been meeting this weekend (would have been our 3rd date) has gone into radio silence. There was a gap of three weeks between dates due to my schedule, so I'm guessing he met someone else in the meantime and is rolling with that, which is fine; I wouldn't have expected him to sit at home on his own waiting for me. I just wish he'd bloody well said something, though, rather than just ignoring my texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Deleted profile again after another pi**taker who I've been chatting to for about 3 weeks and still haven't met.. I say 'you free at the weekend' he says 'not sure yet' after asking last week was I free... Not a fan of time wasters and peeps wasting your time until something better comes along. :rolleyes:

At least you got a response!
    My last interaction on POF was going splendidly (or so I thought) until I ask would she be around town for a coffee or something over the weekend....and....
    Nothing, nadda, zip.
    Pfft!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Well, my mad couple of weeks are over, but the guy I was supposed to have been meeting this weekend (would have been our 3rd date) has gone into radio silence. There was a gap of three weeks between dates due to my schedule, so I'm guessing he met someone else in the meantime and is rolling with that, which is fine; I wouldn't have expected him to sit at home on his own waiting for me. I just wish he'd bloody well said something, though, rather than just ignoring my texts.

Jeez, things move fast in the OD world. The ignoring texts though is well uncalled for
    Panthro wrote: »
    At least you got a response!
    My last interaction on POF was going splendidly (or so I thought) until I ask would she be around town for a coffee or something over the weekend....and....
    Nothing, nadda, zip.
    Pfft!

I think I'm getting too old for this sh*t.. How long were you chatting to her?

Jeez, things move fast in the OD world. The ignoring texts though is well uncalled for

I think I'm getting too old for this sh*t.. How long were you chatting to her?

A few days back and forth, I messaged her first and within an hour came the first response, then then just messaging one another fairly regularly over the course of a few days.
    Ara, another chalk down to experience!

Panthro wrote: »
    A few days back and forth, I messaged her first and within an hour came the first response, then then just messaging one another fairly regularly over the course of a few days.
    Ara, another chalk down to experience!

I remember when I first stumbled across this thread and someone said you really need a thick skin for online dating.. Never was a truer word spoken..

I remember when I first stumbled across this thread and someone said you really need a thick skin for online dating.. Never was a truer word spoken..

Yeah definitely, a massive pinch of salt is needed with it I'm finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I had a wonderful one sentence response conversation over the last day or two. I feel invigorated by the quality of the words that were exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

GrumPy wrote: »
    Love hearing success stories. :D

I bit the bullet and text yer 'wan back, she got back to me and apologised for not replying sooner she is crap at texting and was doing mad shifts in work. We are both busy over the long weekend, but I'm assuming she would have either
    (if she didn't wanna meet up again):

(a - Not text me at all
    (b - Text me and said she wasn't interested

So we'll hopefully arrange something for next week. :)

You should give her a call instead. ;) Direct conversation and plans get made quicker. Simples. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Hey all, just reading some of yer success stories on here, and its helped me to make up my mind and get back into the big bad world of internet dating.. :o

Just one question tho, is pof where its at?? Because I really don't like that site at all. I was on okc for a couple of months last year, met two great girls and had a couple of great dates. So re-activated my account yesterday, but the place is just dead :confused:

• There have been success stories in this thread?

Man, I must've missed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

There have been success stories in this thread?

Well there has been a couple over the last 3 threads and as near as makes no difference 20K posts, hasn't there o.O

There have been success stories in this thread?

The success stories are hidden among countless tales of woe, much like good POF profiles are hidden among countless crap ones.

Just got one of those 'Meet Me' things from a girl I messaged almost a week ago (who didn't reply).
    Now if that isn't proof positive that the 'Meet Me' feature sends out random profiles to people I don't know what is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just got one of those 'Meet Me' things from a girl I messaged almost a week ago (who didn't reply).
    Now if that isn't proof positive that the 'Meet Me' feature sends out random profiles to people I don't know what is!

The meet me thing is fake. I once had a girl message and say she got an email saying I wanted to meet her.

I've never once used the damn thing :pac:

Although I'm sure there is prob a few genuine cases, but most I reckon are randomly generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Galvasean wrote: »

Yeah it could be. I get Meet Me's from people ive already told im not interested so not sure if they are actually hitting the meet me thing or not :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

That Meet Me thing is a bit weird alright. I've had a few girls apparently pick me on that, but they don't email and don't reply when I send them a mail.

I noticed something new on POF today/yesterday. A girl sent me a flirt, but apparently it's a feature only available to women...

"Hello G-Money, <girlsnamehere> has expressed interest in you! (This is a flirt option for women)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

G-Money wrote: »
    That Meet Me thing is a bit weird alright. I've had a few girls apparently pick me on that, but they don't email and don't reply when I send them a mail.

I noticed something new on POF today/yesterday. A girl sent me a flirt, but apparently it's a feature only available to women...

"Hello G-Money, <girlsnamehere> has expressed interest in you! (This is a flirt option for women)"

I actually had that too a while back. Does it show up on the site? I only noticed it as an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Herrick wrote: »
    I actually had that too a while back. Does it show up on the site? I only noticed it as an email.

No idea, the other day was the first time I received that type of mail. Don't know if that's been a feature all along or what for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

G-Money wrote: »

Didnt notice the "flirt" feature. Must check it out and get flirting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Jeez this thing is harsh.

Never knew there were so many picky people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement