Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive skin when shaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bureau2009

i got a new job and i now have to shave every day , bummer, i used to shave once a week, after my 1st week my skins in bits !!! i have a bad boily spot on my cheek and my neck feels terrible!!!! thanks for the advice on here folks.

can you buy aqueous cream in your usual shops?
    Most chemists stock aqueous cream, also Boots, you might need to ask for it at the counter, it's very widely available.

A tube usually costs about 3 euro, a tub of it about 4.30.

Aqueous cream is B R I L L I A N T for shaving. Apply to face and neck, wait a few minutes, apply warm to hot facecloth, use some shaving gel and your skin will look and feel HUGELY better! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Amazed at how many people do not realise this and still just put it on and off they go

I blame Hollywood :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Andy!! wrote: »
    Also, Youtookmyname, where did you buy that shave stick? I looked in boots and tesco in Jervis yesterday but no luck.

You might find it in some pharmacy's. Boots carry there own shave stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Been using hair conditioner while shaving now for a while.Leave the conditioner on for a few minutes, wet face, apply shaving gel. Like a hot knife through butter. Really works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

kneemos wrote: »
    Been using hair conditioner while shaving now for a while.Leave the conditioner on for a few minutes, wet face, apply shaving gel. Like a hot knife through butter. Really works.

I've left my stubble grow for a few days so I wasn't looking forward to shaving.
    Nice tip. I'll try it out tonight to see if it helps;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's not a well kept secret, but it's still a good one. :) The shaving maestro of YouTube, Mantic59, recommends it in a few of his videos. It works particularly well if you shave just after you shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Speaking of butter, remember that Seinfeld episode with the butter shave :D?? I digress, I've always found shaving in the shower gives me best results.. Good long blast of hot water on the face softens up the beard nicely. I've a fairly thick growth and get the odd bad reaction on my neck but this lessens it greatly. Might try the conditioner tip combined with that. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

My skin is pretty sensitive to shaving. Especially the neck area. I've tried sensitive shaving gel, sensitive razors, even ended up buying some Loreal moisturiser to see if that helped. They haven't. The skin on my neck gets very irritated and I get the occasional cut too.

If you guys have any tips, like products you've used to help this, let me know. But mostly I'm asking for advice on an electric shaver. I've never owned one. Am I still going to get irritation and cuts with these? Argos has a 'fathers day' bunch of offers going on now with sales on electric shavers. Some even advertise that I can use the with shaving foam. They're unlikely to give a very close shave aren't they? I could live with that if I could do something about this damn irritation. It's driving me nuts.

Try Silkcocks Base from your chemist, it has no smell at all from it, found it fantastic as I have very senistive skin. :D

I've come to realize that my problem is two fold. One, the irritation when shaving. But I think when my hair grows back, it irritates the skin again and causes a bit of a rash. I think I've got the shaving part down now thanks to all the great advice in this thread, but is there anything I can do about the other problem? I have tried moisturisers, doesn't seem to help much. Am I using the right kind of cream, or would you suggest something else that would fight the irritation that the hair growing brings?

I think when you shave against the grain it causes the hair to catch the skin when it grows back, creating a rash. Try shaving with the grain or with and lightly against if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I've come to realize that my problem is two fold. One, the irritation when shaving. But I think when my hair grows back, it irritates the skin again and causes a bit of a rash. I think I've got the shaving part down now thanks to all the great advice in this thread, but is there anything I can do about the other problem? I have tried moisturisers, doesn't seem to help much. Am I using the right kind of cream, or would you suggest something else that would fight the irritation that the hair growing brings?

I've had that problem for years and always thought I was a strange case as all advice seems to relate more to irritation when actually shaving.

Lately I've invested in some Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream from shaving.ie and it's brilliant. Apply before and after.

I also bought a good brush and soap, making a huge difference.

Also, as suggested above, pay more attention to the direction of the shave and how heavily you lean and use a relatively fresh blade.

Currently using the King of Shaves Azor (I think it's called) razor and it's very good but will be investigating a proper old school razor and blades next.

Basically, what's working for me now is spending on proper equipment and being careful with the shave.

Hope that helps.

I tried shaving with the grain on my neck. The hair on my neck kinda grows horizontal and upwards. Lucky I didn't slit my throat haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

I bought some aqueous cream based on the recommendation on this thread and it has definitely helped with post shave irritation. Neck is not nearly as red or dry afterwards.

I have yet to try using it as a shaving gel though (i.e putting it on before shaving) but good to know its effective both ways. Will try this the next time to see if there is a difference

I seem to get more irritation when i shower after shaving so now i always make sure to shower first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I used to have the same problems as the OP, neck was in bits and burning after every shave. I've a strong, thick growth that didn't help either.

I switched back to a brush and shaving stick with a good razor, (get your face nice and hot beforehand), after shaving I use the clear, non-scented aftershave gel from the Body Shop (or if you can get it an Alum block as previously mentioned).

Tried Aqueous cream once did'nt think it was great. A good base will work miracles for your shave.Try Shaving.ie if you can't get it elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Try Aqueous cream great shave off it-no rash either:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Most chemists stock aqueous cream, also Boots, you might need to ask for it at the counter, it's very widely available.

A tube usually costs about 3 euro, a tub of it about 4.30.

Aqueous cream is B R I L L I A N T for shaving. Apply to face and neck, wait a few minutes, apply warm to hot facecloth, use some shaving gel and your skin will look and feel HUGELY better! :)
    no need for putting damaging shaving gel on thatll flare it up just shave with the acqueous cream

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Andy!

I have had the same problem the only solution that worked for me is to not shave everyday. I know if you work in a professional environment where you need to be clean shaven it can be hard to do this but if you leave it grow for a day more than you can shave with no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

king of shaves gel is your only one

• Boots used to do a great selection of shaving products, which was basically a three step thing - you exfoliated your skin first, then used this kind of oil with your shaving foam and then you put on balm afterwards. I have extraordinarily sensitive skin so used to have terrible problems when I would shave and found those brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Clinique for men is the best I have tried! Going to cost a bit more than the usual things, but its so worth it! Have great feel to my face and neck after it, even the OH approves

andrewg82 wrote: »
    king of shaves gel is your only one

Tried it on your recomendation.EXCELLENT

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Lads looking for advice

Been getting sever burns after shaving which last for a couple of days,they then dry and start to flake.The burns are in the exact same place every time and are around the goatie area.
    I've tried electric razors and double edged blade but no change.My routine is usually shower,apply shaving gel,shave,apply silcoks base,wash and apply moisturiser.

Any tips or advice much appreciated

Sounds like something you could show your doctor.You might be better off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

never mind your King of Shaves and other gloop in a can stuff. You need to go back to traditional basics and try DE (double edge shaving) using good quality shave soaps and creams.
    You will find lots of help over in the "Facial Hair and Hats" forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I haven't read the whole thread...

I used to suffer while shaving with sensitive skin for years. In the end, the only way I got around it was giving up all the lotions, creams oils etc etc. Nothing except soap. It was an accidental discovery born out of laziness!!

When you have sensitive skin, the natural instinct is to try to fix it. Over a period of years I noticed that while trying all the different things on the market that they would work to varying extents but the more effective the lotion, the more I needed to keep on using it. After running out of the latest thing and not knowing what I wanted to try next, I just used soap and water and after a week or two of being raw after shaving, it all settled down. I realised that a little discomfort was far superior to a regime of chemicals that ultimately left me more susceptible to sensitive skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MrDetective

Just had the BEST shave of my life thanks to reading this thread and buying the King of Shaves range.

HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST if God could shave a person, I imagine that's what it would feel like.

I've got sensitive skin, always got razor burn etc. I even tried using oil once but that was a disaster. And I've never had any luck the Mach 3 or any of that sh*t.

So I said f*ck it, might as well give it a go since people here recommend it, and I bought the KOS scrub, oil, azor 5 blade and face balm. And it was INCREDIBLE!

*And it all smells great too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Could we get a one post general advice? I suffer from irritation after using an electric razor. I'm getting a little bit lost in the advice here.

What I would really appreciate advice on is the following:

What razor to use?
    Should I use a pre-shave? If so, what pre-shave?
    What cream should I use?
    Should I use a post-shave? If so, what post shave?

Avoid anything in a can,buy a brush and cream or soap.Pre and post creams I would say yes if you have sensitive skin.Best to use a five blade razor such as gillet or the cheaper wilkinson hydro which last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Is there a shop around Dublin where I could pick some products up? I know I could use shaving.ie but I'd like to get going this weekend.

Advertisement