Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Guardian Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

And then Argos will sell it the cheapest, only problem is they prob wont have it up in their catalog until the actual release or days after

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Reviews are flooding in - It's amazing by most accounts. Eurogamer awarded it an "Essential" badge. Looking forward to getting my collectors edition even more now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

21 positive , 6 mixed at the moment ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Digital Foundry's analysis of TLG's performance across both PS4 models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully it runs fine on the normal PS4.

edit: just after watching the digital foundry comparison and not good news at all for ps4 owners:(

frame rates between 20-30fps throughout.

For PS4 Pro owners 4k mode is still laggy with only the 1080p option giving a consistent 30fps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Ill grab it when it goes on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Watched Jim Sterling's video on it and he says it has lots of mechanical and AI (Trico) problems. Seemed like he was being very nit-picky though. Didn't mention performance/framerate issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully it runs fine on the normal PS4.

edit: just after watching the digital foundry comparison and not good news at all for ps4 owners:(

frame rates between 20-30fps throughout.

For PS4 Pro owners 4k mode is still laggy with only the 1080p option giving a consistent 30fps.

We all survived Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2 with those single digit frame rate drops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

J. Marston wrote: »
    Watched Jim Sterling's video on it and he says it has lots of mechanical and AI (Trico) problems. Seemed like he was being very nit-picky though. Didn't mention performance/framerate issues.

He said it was a technical mess, hardly nitpicking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-last-guardian-playstation-4-review-a-powerful-spirit-trapped-in-a-frail-vessel

Jeremy Parish says it's not perfect but the overall experience is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wouldn't quite feel like a Team Ico game if it wasn't technically held together by a mix of luck, overambition and good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Metacritic has it (now) at 43 positive and 12 mixed reviews. Metascore of 83. I'm happy with that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wouldn't quite feel like a Team Ico game if it wasn't technically held together by a mix of luck, overambition and good intentions.

For anyone who played both games on PS2 this is probably a no-brainer. I'll definitely pick it up but might leave playing it until the Christmas break.

Am I correct in saying there's no way to play Ico & SOTC on the PS4 - it was only the PS3 they released the HD update for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Andrew76 wrote: »
    For anyone who played both games on PS2 this is probably a no-brainer. I'll definitely pick it up but might leave playing it until the Christmas break.

Am I correct in saying there's no way to play Ico & SOTC on the PS4 - it was only the PS3 they released the HD update for?
    You can play them one PS Now, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wouldn't quite feel like a Team Ico game if it wasn't technically held together by a mix of luck, overambition and good intentions magic

FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

RasTa wrote: »
    Have to laugh

£44 Amazon.co.uk
    €75 gamestop...
    €60 Smyths(pre order)

Ah the good old Gamestop tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

RasTa wrote: »
    Have to laugh

£44 Amazon.co.uk
    €75 gamestop...
    €60 Smyths(pre order)

If you've a prime account/free trial to use, Amazon knock another £2 off the price too.

Really looking forward to this now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

From reading on reddit I've seen that the game can't maintain 1080p 30fps on the standard ps4, it even stays around the 20s when looking at a blank wall. Ps4 pro can get 1080p 30fps but chugs when you try to go to 4k.

Sounds really poorly optimised and I won't be going near it until I hear or a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

From reading on reddit I've seen that the game can't maintain 1080p 30fps on the standard ps4, it even stays around the 20s when looking at a blank wall. Ps4 pro can get 1080p 30fps but chugs when you try to go to 4k.

Sounds really poorly optimised and I won't be going near it until I hear or a fix.

That's actually the standard this console generation.
    :pac:
    Both PS4 & Xbox One have dumb, weak CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Fantastic stuff so far.
    Pro taking a bit of a hiding at 4k though - nothing unplayable or anything like that, but some may want to smooth out the inconsistencies with the 1080p method.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What a wonderful feeling it was to walk out of a shop with a copy of The Last Guardian today :)

Only played the first hour, but it is exactly what I hoped and imagined the first hour of The Last Guardian would be like. Trico is an extraordinary creation: just watching its behaviour and movements is a joy. The first
    pool dive
    is a beautiful, thrilling moment unlike many others I've seen in games. Same when you see Trico navigating its way through a gorgeous tree-filled green area, causally ducking between branches. The way the gameplay and relationship between the two characters gel is purest Ueda.

The game's aggressive minimalism is so refreshing, even if it is a familiar trick in Team Ico games. No distractions or surplus - just an absolute focus on what matters.

Only annoyances so far are the over insistent tutorial bubbles, and the five minutes or so it took to adjust to 'triangle' as jump. But generally the opening of this extraordinary game - although frankly its mere existence is extraordinary - has made the long, long wait absolutely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My kid wants a PC for xmas which is handy so I can buy this for myself and steal his PS4 :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Worth the wait then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Played about an hour or so last night, and really love Trico's AI. All the movements really feel natural and not forced like you see in a lot of games. I got this off of the Irish PS store, the narration appears to be Japanese, with English subtitles, is this by design? I don't see any option for English narration.

This game has offered at least a half dozen of the most extraordinary moments I've ever encountered in a video game. I mean:

Just astoundingly beautiful stuff.
    I got this off of the Irish PS store, the narration appears to be Japanese, with English subtitles, is this by design? I don't see any option for English narration.

It's not Japanese, all the 'Ico' games are told in a made-up language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

It's not Japanese, all the 'Ico' games are told in a made-up language :)

For the boy i understand that it is made up, but there is occasional narration too from the story teller, that definitely sounds Japanese but could be custom too for all I know of Japanese :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

At what stage do the on-screen tutorial promts stop? They're driving me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Pickpocket wrote: »
    At what stage do the on-screen tutorial promts stop? They're driving me nuts.

It seems they stay on for the whole game. What an utterly bizarre oversight. It's the type of ugly, immersion-breaking UI I've come to expect from Japanese devs. Very dissapointing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, colour me happy and slap me silly with a side of salmon, The Last Guardian reminds me of why I love this damned hobby in the first place.
    I like the idiosyncratic control system, not seen since SotC and not seen in another game since.
    Glad to see Polygon managed to grow a pair and play a game with controls you have to put effort into, seeing as they forgot their big boy pants when Star Fox Zero came in for review.
    The behaviour of Trico is wonderful, a development of Argo from SotC, this is not some obedient NPC that will obey your every command, on command, this is a beastie with its own behaviours, and you'll just have to get used to each other.
    The control of the character itself, within the game world, does harken back to the PS2, but mostly in that it refuses to take the control from the player. Play Uncharted or the Arkham games, a lot of the time you simply push the stick in a vague direction, press the indicated button and the character on-screen hops to it, performing mighty feats despite the two presses of a button on your part.
    Not so here, you want to climb, swing, navigate rough terrain and fallen masonry, your going to have to obey the local physics laws and pay attention to the handholds. Uncharted took the challenge of Tomb Raider, pulled it's teeth and made adventuring something anyone could do with no effort, The Last Guardian makes you work for your rewards.

The queues from Ico and SotC are there, architecture, that certain glow, the light through the gaps blinding in the interior, with the green lush outside resolving into view as your virtual irises adapt, then you hear the wind and the bird song... It's simply wonderful, can't wait to jump back in after only two hours this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That jump into the pool of water, the unexpected rolling wave!
    Also, love being in a confined space when you are suddenly accompanied by a muzzle of a certain mythical creature, doing its best to continue adventuring, even though they can't fit!

The game feels a little like an apology.
    Sorry for having you kill all of those magnificent creatures and constructions in Shadow of the Colossus :(
    To make it up to you, here's ones to go adventuring with instead!

Advertisement