Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FV4034_Seraph

Do broken bones have to be mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Quick question can the doctor fill in the medical questionnaire form at an appointment or does it have to be left in with them? I know a lot of people drop them in but has anyone had it filled in at an appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

I've read that the BMI limit is 30? Has anyone been passed medically fit with one higher than this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Do broken bones have to be mentioned?
    Yes. Absolutely. If you've ever broken a bone in your body, you have to declare it.
    Icarus9 wrote: »
    Quick question can the doctor fill in the medical questionnaire form at an appointment or does it have to be left in with them? I know a lot of people drop them in but has anyone had it filled in at an appointment?
    That depends on the doctor. If you know your doctor well, and your doctor knows you well, they will do it on the spot. If you don't know your doctor, or your appointment is with a locum, they'll need you to leave it there so they can look up your medical history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    I've read that the BMI limit is 30? Has anyone been passed medically fit with one higher than this?

I think there was a guy who lifts and cos if the amount of muscle his BMI was over. I think the dr passed him cos he could obviously see why his BMI was over. I think if they have any doubt there was rumours of making them retake the PCA. Not 100% sure on that though :/

• Advertisement

Mop a top wrote: »
    I think there was a guy who lifts and cos if the amount of muscle his BMI was over. I think the dr passed him cos he could obviously see why his BMI was over. I think if they have any doubt there was rumours of making them retake the PCA. Not 100% sure on that though :/

Thanks I'm just wondering as I would lift weights and play rugby but my bmi would show me as obese. Clearly that's not the case as it doesn't take into account muscle. Hopefully they are not black and white with the 30 bmi mark and use their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LovelyHorse

Hi, can anyone tell me if you're allowed to squint on the eye test? I know it sounds silly, but an optician insists that you don't squint, whereas if it is a doctor with an eye chart, they might be more lax. To anyone that's done it before, what is the test like?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rezone

Yeah i was wondering about the eye test too, i wear glasses and my eyesight is 110percent with them but without i can muster maybe 2 lines on an eye chart? If anyone has done if before it would be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jalapeno peppers

Does anyone know how much notice you usually receive before your medical? And how long after PCA you would usually get that notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rezone

I heard 2 days after PCA and mine is 4 weeks away

• Advertisement

Hi, can anyone tell me if you're allowed to squint on the eye test? I know it sounds silly, but an optician insists that you don't squint, whereas if it is a doctor with an eye chart, they might be more lax. To anyone that's done it before, what is the test like?

The nurse who did mine was too busy looking at the page in front of her marking it off she wasn't looking at me to see if I squinted or not ;)

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Thanks I'm just wondering as I would lift weights and play rugby but my bmi would show me as obese. Clearly that's not the case as it doesn't take into account muscle. Hopefully they are not black and white with the 30 bmi mark and use their eyes.

According to my dr I'm "clinically obese" at 5'5" and in the 11 stone mark but that's mostly muscle. They use their head when it comes to BMI as far as I remember guys saying. Besides he/she will be able to see it's muscle when you're stripped off to your underwear

I would say I was a few lbs overweight bmi is probably between 25 and 26 but it actually says on our applicant guide that you will only fail on your weight if you are over 30 bmi AND your body fat is over the predicted maximum AND you look overweight so you guys will probably be okay

Haha Haha mop you animal! Yeah fair play they will use their common sense I'd imagine. Anyone here got medical dates? Mine is between 12 and 17 days away! Nowhere near the 4 weeks I was expecting!

How can you check if vetting is clear??

No medical date for me yet hearts breaking!! Hoping I will get something through in the post tomorrow but it makes sense that they are processing them in smaller batches than PCA... I really wanna find another girl who's passed to see if heyve got a date yet!

I'd say there are other girls watching the forums it's if they post not. Know another fella who's got a medical medical and doesn't post, but reads.

Also Kev you can email or phone vetting but I don't think they'll give you much info- I heard on here a while back that you can't pass vetting until you pass the SMT? Not sure if that's true or not though! I just hope in not the only one with no medical date yet... My mind immediately jumps to there being some sort of problem with my application when in likely just going to the worst case scenario!

KevBo how am I an animal lol?!?! Well that's good about the medical dates. You can ring 101 and ask for recruitment. Theyll be told by all the different depts which stages you've passed and when. Has your online learning closed yet? When you get the call it will be 5 weeks until the start date. Could be looking at a July start since the medicals are fairly soon. Good luck anyway. I'm jealous as hell lol xx

5'5 and 11 stone for a female is good lol, so you must be an animal! Plus you've passed pca 2 times and your bmi shows as obese haha. Only conclusion really.

Think I should ring 101 and Ann desk avout vetting or wait until medical is over?

Got the date! Relieved :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Red_bull

I'm sure it was a relief! Hopefully the medical will be straight forward and not as worrying as the PCA.

The medical won't be as bad as the PCA im sure- we have done all we can now! Medical and vetting can't be influenced by us- I don't know if that makes them scarier or not as bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Red_bull

Hopefully it's not going to be like bringing the car to MOT. You think everything is fine until they tell you that the spring has gone and the engine is about to fall out!

I don't think it will be anything like that :) the medical forms cover a lot of the topics I think they will look at and then it will be an on the spot assessment but I think if there was anything you'd know about it before you went in like eyesight, hearing etc.... Surely you'd know if there was a problem beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elliotness

Hey folks, first time on the boards since passing the AC, does vetting come before the physical and medical?

I've just been sent an email re: the online learning which begins in June. Where does that fit in with the recruitment process?

Curious to see how long I have to get fit haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

elliotness wrote: »
    Hey folks, first time on the boards since passing the AC, does vetting come before the physical and medical?

I've just been sent an email re: the online learning which begins in June. Where does that fit in with the recruitment process?

Firstly, welcome to the boards! Nobody seems to know what's going on at the minute for sure. Some folks were notified yesterday about the online learning stage first whereas other people from this campaign who didn't get the thumbs down letter received vetting forms months ago, followed by a PCA invite which a lot of people have already completed. With regards to getting fit, you'll probably want to get your arse in gear asap to be honest. Most people who got their results for the AC in December have been training since then or even before that. Some haven't bothered due to the financial uncertainty that faces the PSNI, however you could be called for a PCA invite any time and you'll want to boss it and not just merely pass it and definitely not fail! A lot of fit people are caught out by it and fail by mere seconds so don't underestimate it buddy and get training!

elliotness wrote: »

Exactly what Wannabe said. Get going now, you should have been training to maintain a reasonable level of fitness already of you want to pass the PCA and then step it up a gear when you get your date. You could get a letter inviting you there in 3/4 weeks, they only have to give you enough notice for a familiarsation day and s couple of weeks to the real day.

Last campaign was very clean cut as far as the running order went, vetting, PCA online learning, medical, hotel GV. This one is all over the place from what I'm reading on here so who knows if you'll get enough time to train properly for it. I think you'd be daft not to already be training even just a little

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Does anyone remember from campaign one:

How long do you wait to hear about passing the medical and do you get a separate letter saying you pass the substance test or is that included in your medical pass?

How long after passing did calls go out for the 1st squad?

Has anyone got a pass letter from medicals yet?

• Advertisement

Icarus9 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember from campaign one:

How long do you wait to hear about passing the medical and do you get a separate letter saying you pass the substance test or is that included in your medical pass?

How long after passing did calls go out for the 1st squad?

Didn't medical and SMT on the Tuesday, results letter came on Saturday. Never got a result for SMT.

Calls depended on your position on the merit list but there was typically a 5 week wait between each stage including medical to offer of a place at GV "the illusive call" then about 2 weeks from call to induction weekend and a further 3 until you start

Advertisement