Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden gate

Options
  • 24-05-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭

Brother recently put up a side gate for me.

I am wondering what would be the best way to paint it.
    What kind of paint should I use on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

cena wrote: »
    Brother recently put up a side gate for me.

I am wondering what would be the best way to paint it.
    What kind of paint should I use on it.

Nee more info such as...........

Metal or wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭cena

its made of wood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Sadolin superdec

Anything a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »

Have that on the fence already. Got 3 coats and needs painting again.waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

On a related topic; I've put up a gate with timbers screwed to a metal frame.

What should I put in the sunken holes created in the timbers where they are fixed to the frame?
    I figure this is the most likely spot for the timber to eventually rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Can't say I've ever seen timbers on a gate/fence rot around a screw head, it's nearly always the end-grain at the bottom of the boards which goes first. I wouldn't worry about the screw holes especially if you're using pressure-treated timber, just paint over them with whatever wood-stain or paint you're using.

Advertisement