Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work experience in ambulance or fire service?

Options
  • 24-12-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm doing TY next year and I'm interested in joining the dfb after school. I live in sligo and I was wondering if it is possible to get work experience with the hse ambulance service? I would also be interested in work experience with fire service but only retained stations up here and I doubt they take on work people. Am open to correction on this.
    Would appreciate any advice ye could give me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

sligolad1 wrote: »
    I'm doing TY next year and I'm interested in joining the dfb after school. I live in sligo and I was wondering if it is possible to get work experience with the hse ambulance service? I would also be interested in work experience with fire service but only retained stations up here and I doubt they take on work people. Am open to correction on this.
    Would appreciate any advice ye could give me. Thanks

Hope it all works out for ya!
    My best advice is join your local Civil Defence or first aid group. Then get your Emergency First Responder or Emergency Medical Technician qualification. Then get your driving licences for B and C.
    Don't be afraid to call into the local fire station, most are very welcoming and they'll give ya good advice.
    When Dublin Fire Brigade recruit they'll more than likely use physicometric testing, practice these online. Plus don't hold out just for the one fire service, have a look about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

join volanteeer search and rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The National Ambulance Service do offer work experience positions to transition year students but it only involves station duties and does not include ride-alongs or shifts on ambulances. The positions do give an excellent insight to the day to day running of the station, you will also get to chat to and mix with the crews and you will learn a lot from them. Contact your local ambulance station for advice on taking the correct route for your region.

The best of luck for the future.

Advertisement