Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what exactly is so "crappy" about Legend of the Rangers?

• 18-12-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Surely, Legend of the Rangers >> Grey 17 is missing...

jacQues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

where to start?
    1)Targeting system - Good lord, seroiusly what the hell was that meant to be
    2)Ghost ship - this is just a pet peave but it was meant to be an old minbari ship & it didnt look anyhting like a minbari ship Babylon_5_-_Liandra.jpg
    3)"New" Minbari ship -
    ship01.jpg vs Minbwacr_lg1.jpg i know which one i would choose (yes i know the valen was half human, but look how pretty the victory class was)
    4)The Hand - more powerful than the shadows.....they couldnt kill a ghost ship!
    5)Hyperspace just didnt look right

thats all for now, before i drag up more bad mrmories :)

but on the plus side here is a nice site to looks up ships
    http://www.themadgoner.com/TMG/Sci_Fi/SciPages/Babylon5/Front_Page/Mark4_Build.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Madrab, I think you also forgot about the diabolical acting and cast :)

But seriously, how can you not cringe everytime they show 'that targetting system'.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jacQues

madrab wrote:
    1)Targeting system - Good lord, seroiusly what the hell was that meant to be
    I agree. For an old ship a tad "weird" and definitely out of place.
    madrab wrote:
    2)Ghost ship - this is just a pet peave but it was meant to be an old minbari ship & it didnt look anyhting like a minbari ship
    3)"New" Minbari ship
    Did the white stars look anything like the old Minbari ships? Remember that the old ships were designed for the warrior class and the ones for the rangers by the religious caste plus humans.
    madrab wrote:
    4)The Hand - more powerful than the shadows.....they couldnt kill a ghost ship!
    "The hand" wasn't in it at all! They merely gave some ships to other races.
    One got destroyed by a suicide maneuvre. The other two with a "trick". But none by "regular" weapons.
    madrab wrote:
    5)Hyperspace just didnt look right
    Its the new redesigned look for it. They also changed the jump graphics etc. The same new look for all the new films, actually.

So yes, the targeting system is way overdone. But my question is still there, do ye think that Legend of the Rangers is worse than "Grey 17 is missing"? I feel that some episodes are less good than Legend of the Rangers. And yes, I also feel that Legend of the Rangers isn't "bad", just less good than the rest of the films. Maybe its "rejected" because the fans are spoiled? :)

jacQues

jacQues wrote:
    Did the white stars look anything like the old Minbari ships? Remember that the old ships were designed for the warrior class and the ones for the rangers by the religious caste plus humans.
    The Whitestars were mimbari & vorlon ships & iirc were designed to be different so that they wouldnt be recognised by the other races (plus they still look more Minbari than the both of thos ships)
    jacQues wrote:
    "The hand" wasn't in it at all! They merely gave some ships to other races.
    One got destroyed by a suicide maneuvre. The other two with a "trick". But none by "regular" weapons.
    They still didnt seem that menacing, the drakh were more powerful
    jacQues wrote:
    So yes, the targeting system is way overdone. But my question is still there, do ye think that Legend of the Rangers is worse than "Grey 17 is missing"? I feel that some episodes are less good than Legend of the Rangers. And yes, I also feel that Legend of the Rangers isn't "bad", just less good than the rest of the films. Maybe its "rejected" because the fans are spoiled? :)

jacQues
    Oh yeah Grey 17 is a big pile of crap, but that is just a filler episode, The Gathering & A Call to Arms Vs Legend is a better comparison

Other things that bother me are the fact that we never heard about the Hand, there is a bit of background about the ancients in some of the B5 wars books (which are canon) which go on about the biggest threat during their age was the Kirishiac war, when all the first ones had to band together to stop them. They were not the Hand, as they were in the series (their ship was the one that looked like an easter egg with fins :) )

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The reason we should be so hurt about "Legend of the Rangers" more than "Grey 17 is Missing" is that LotR was to be a launch-pad for a new series (made even clearer when you look at its full name).
    It was meant to get us enthused about a whole new set of adventures in the B5 universe and instead horrified us because many of the things we disliked about it were important set features - they wouldn't go away the following week. We'd still have that awful target system for example and we'd have to wait weeks to see who this Hand is that we never heard about anywhere else or never seemed to be referenced in any future episodes (e.g. "Sleeping in Light" or "War Without End").
    On the basis of this pilot, I'm glad we never saw any more of the show and denying a B5 series like this is why we feel so passionately about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jacQues

A silly thought here...

"The hand"... could that be the same race from Thirdspace maybe?
    In Thirdspace, some escaped when the artifact was destroyed. Those may have build the "donated" ships.

I've never read any of the books. So correct me if I'm wrong.

jacQues

That theory has come up a few times but i think it was debunked, i just cant fing where i read it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

legebd of the rangers was class! it was a propper war film and would have made a decent show, though not as good as Crusade (which i liked better than B5 seasons 1,2 and 5)

I agree that the targeting system was utterly kac, but that could have been goten rid off easily enough.

The Valen is meant as an in-joke, the fact that all human desinged ships look like the "flying brick". in this case, very much so:(

The whole ghost thing is something that didn't have to be recurring in every episode, just when the plot needed it.

But come on, the ship was a comlete piece of ****e! the Serenity was in better shape! (And it still looks Minbari)

Advertisement