Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

God that Stock Exchange bar opening up sounds terrible, would of done well when Sex and the City was still on Television, doubt it will now, multilevel bars sounds tiring as well with many stairs. Still, it will hopefully make town more busy so I wish it well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

Where is that Stock Exchange (wow great name, really exploits the current popularity of the finance sector) place opening up? Where that Blu place was before? Dignity?
    Shanley wrote: »
    The entire space is dotted with large scale iconic images of New York City (perfect for photo opportunities)
    Great recession buster that - save money on travelling by getting your photo taken next to photos of those places.

Shanley wrote: »
    "A brand new group of late bars are to open in Galway on July 19th. Multi-level bars catering to different crowds, The Stock Exchange is the ideal after-work lounge bar for professionals to let their hair down after a day in the office. The Manhattan Lounge is a dream come true for the sophisticated ‘Sex and the City’ crowd seeking wine and cocktails after a few hours of major shopping sprees. The entire space is dotted with large scale iconic images of New York City (perfect for photo opportunities), including the Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, bustling Times Square and of course, Wall Street."

From their Facebook Page

The really are trying to make it sound like a classy place full of young, attractive go getters who discuss the current economical situation over a few cosmopolitans when in fact this is going to be a place place where women drink till they collapse in a heap on the floor, tears stream down theur make up smudged face as they desperately try to remove the dried, caked in vomit from their hair and call their best friend a slut because she looked at some drunk bloke who they'd claimed as their own. Its going to be a place to grab a quick shag with some bloke you just met whose so drunk that he'll vomit on you before passing out. All in all a classy drinking establishment just like Coyotes and every other club in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The really are trying to make it sound like a classy place full of young, attractive go getters who discuss the current economical situation over a few cosmopolitans when in fact this is going to be a place place where women drink till they collapse in a heap on the floor, tears stream down theur make up smudged face as they desperately try to remove the dried, caked in vomit from their hair and call their best friend a slut because she looked at some drunk bloke who they'd claimed as their own. Its going to be a place to grab a quick shag with some bloke you just met whose so drunk that he'll vomit on you before passing out. All in all a classy drinking establishment just like Coyotes and every other club in Galway.

count me in. When is it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

count me in. When is it open?

+2

If it turned out like the above poster describes it'll be the busiest nightclub in town!! :pac:

• Advertisement

All in all a classy drinking establishment just like Coyotes and every other club in Galway.
    I would much rather the clubs we have in Galway currently to being plagued with trendy cocktail bars rammed with insufferable yuppie tosspots.

NoPasaran wrote: »
    I would much rather the clubs we have in Galway currently to being plagued with trendy cocktail bars rammed with insufferable yuppie tosspots.

My point is that this new club is going to be exactly the same as the clubs already here.

My point is that this new club is going to be exactly the same as the clubs already here.
    Good, they're decent craic and much better than the concept put forward in the pitch for this new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

insufferable yuppie tosspots.

Does such a thing exist anymore? I'd have thought the Celtic Monkey killed them all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Does such a thing exist anymore? I'd have thought the Celtic Monkey killed them all...

But Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Does such a thing exist anymore?

Yeah they do, you'll see them out in in the racecourse in two weeks wearing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Not an new opening as such, but O'Farrells filling station opposite the spinnaker has rebranded as an Inver outlet. They were formerly an emo station I think.

Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Anyone know what is going into the old Nestors shop on Eglinton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yup twas Church Lane,i graced it a total of two times, each as bad as the other. Twas tiny and full of stairs, my lingering memory.

Tried to get in once many years ago for the novelty.
    Apparently we weren't studenty enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Where that Blu place was before?

IIRC Blu was beside Garavans (not something I pay attention to anymore).
    dloob wrote: »
    Tried to get in once many years ago for the novelty.
    Apparently we weren't studenty enough.

Church Lane was the postgrad haunt for a while, which probably explains why the studentiness was required.

There is a new pharmacy being kitted out in Liosban - in the same unit that used to have a pharmacy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

McAlinden's bar to re-open under new management, page 57 of the Galway Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Empty HMV store has a new tenant. Lot of activity there for the last few days.

Cara Pharmacies are advertising for jobs. They will be opening soon in a city centre location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

From The Galway Independent, for fans of Tapas in Galway:
    The restaurant will reopen in early September under the name Cava Bodega.

The new incarnation will be located on Middle Street, opposite Charlie Byrne's Bookshop, in the site previously occupied by Mustard. The new premises has been vacant for a prolonged period, with extensive renovations for the new Cava Bodega restaurant currently being undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ace Printers (next door to Sally Longs) seems to have closed recently, only reason I noticed is they have a "Let By" sign in the window, and they seem to be gutting out the unit. Don't know what's going in there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Col200sx wrote: »
    Ace Printers (next door to Sally Longs) seems to have closed recently, only reason I noticed is they have a "Let By" sign in the window, and they seem to be gutting out the unit. Don't know what's going in there though.

Been gone for weeks, possibly even months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Col200sx wrote: »
    they have moved to Liosban indsutrial estate

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Empty HMV store has a new tenant. Lot of activity there for the last few days.

Cara Pharmacies are advertising for jobs. They will be opening soon in a city centre location.

Well, whaddya know...

Cara are opening in the HMV shop, according to their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=555259407844215&set=pb.146033272100166.-2207520000.1376431237.&type=3&theater

Compu B Apple Store are opening in the former Zerep shoe shop on William Street and are hiring http://compub.com/jobs/sales-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Dealz opening a new store next month (somewhere in the town) - 25 new jobs

http://galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/2284-25-jobs-at-new-discount-store-for-galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Dealz storeis going in where atlantic homecare used to be in the galway shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

D Trent wrote: »
    Dealz storeis going in where atlantic homecare used to be in the galway shopping centre

Isn't the galway shopping centre where tesco is? Where was the atlantic homecare there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Isn't the galway shopping centre where tesco is? Where was the atlantic homecare there?

Where that CSI exhibition was for a while. Huge place by the bowling alley and gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

More recently host to Absolute Gallery during arts festival

• Advertisement

That's a big unit and has been empty (apart from the temporary art gallery or CSI) for many years now.

Not sure if this streetview link will work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement