Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

it's losing more like 2.6m/year or €43/trip

Hang on a second - this just sank in. It's costing the tax payer over €43 per person per trip on the WRC on the basis of the operating subsidy alone. If you add the capital cost in, simply (as Geuze did above), then the cost per passenger rises to €183 per trip.

According to the fare calculator on the Taxi Regulators website, the cost of a taxi trip is about €165 for the same journey. So it's official, it would be cheaper to have just paid for a taxi for people, one person at a time.

No wonder no one in IE or DoT wanted this built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Aidan1 - I think that CIE would be happy to see the back of the railway altogether. at least that seems to be what they are working towards and opening any new line runs counter to their ultimate goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Aidan1 wrote: »
    According to the fare calculator on the Taxi Regulators website, the cost of a taxi trip is about €165 for the same journey. So it's official, it would be cheaper to have just paid for a taxi for people, one person at a time.

Shocking observation :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Hang on a second - this just sank in. It's costing the tax payer over €43 per person per trip on the WRC on the basis of the operating subsidy alone. If you add the capital cost in, simply (as Geuze did above), then the cost per passenger rises to €183 per trip.

No wonder no one in IE or DoT wanted this built.

Fr McGreal will be reading your name out in mass if you are not careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

dynamick wrote: »
    Service is carrying 60,000 passengers per year.
    Subvention was expected at 2.4m/year but this was based on passenger number of 100,000. So it's losing more like 2.6m/year or €43/trip. So even if we disregard the sunk costs, it's still an incredibly stupid way to waste money.

Its not really losing that much though. Most of the running cost goes in staff costs, so straight away a large chunk of this comes straight back in taxes. Then the staff spend their wages and a lot of this comes back in taxes anyway.

I'd say the biggest real cost is the diesel per annum, and of course most of fuel cost comes back in VAT and duty anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not really losing that much though. Most of the running cost goes in staff costs, so straight away a large chunk of this comes straight back in taxes. Then the staff spend their wages and a lot of this comes back in taxes anyway.

I'd say the biggest real cost is the diesel per annum, and of course most of fuel cost comes back in VAT and duty anyway.

It doesn't come back to CIE; hence it IS losing CIE money. Its irrelevant where it goes after the fact; the line is horribly unsustainable for CIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

That same argument would also apply to the massive fleet of hypothetical taxi drivers and taxis that would be needed to transport the same passengers for the same cost (door-to-door too, which a train couldn't match).

I took a stroll along a disused section of the track from Tuam to Milltown near Kilconly last weekend and it really brought home what an asset this rail line could be if a much smaller amount of money was spent on it to turn it into a greenway for walkers and cyclists. The scenery even in flat old north Co. Galway was very pleasant to look at, especially on the elevated sections overlooking some small forests and bog lakes. In fact, some of the costs could be recouped by recycling the old rails, scrap metal is getting a very good price these days.

Plenty of community employment schemes could be set up to get some folks off the live register and do a lot of the work, now I wonder will the powers-that-be ever cop on and smell the coffee? Alas, probably not - the lack of capital funding may just kill off the WRC sooner rather than later however.

I commuted from Tuam to Galway by car for over 10 years and the train service, even if it had existed, I wouldn't even have considered it as a train could never have matched the car for speed and convenience (even with the traffic congestion around the city). Tuam to Galway via Athenry :rolleyes: and still be a 20 minute walk from the university / hospital? I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

MYOB wrote: »
    It doesn't come back to CIE; hence it IS losing CIE money. Its irrelevant where it goes after the fact; the line is horribly unsustainable for CIE.

Thats funny, I thought the government gave Irish Rail about €175m last year. How do you make out €2.7m is horribly unstainable for CIE, their total handout is about €300m, so closing the WRC would save lesss than 1%.

Lets close all lines that lost money then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Thats funny, I thought the government gave Irish Rail about €175m last year. How do you make out €2.7m is horribly unstainable for CIE, their total handout is about €300m, so closing the WRC would save lesss than 1%.

Average subvention per trip on Irish rail was about €4 last year. WRC carries only a tenth of the number of passengers for each euro of subvention. Is that not unfair when there are overfilled commuter trains?

Another way to look at it is this - every day Irish rail runs 5 trains each direction over the 58km ennis athenry line. And every day those trains carry a total of 166 passengers. Each train carries 16 passengers. The trains go more slowly and less frequently than the bus service which costs the state nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No other line is losing proportionately as much while providing service to so few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Not at all. The key issue is around obtaining the best value for money for the subvention provided. These are public funds after all, that €183 per passenger subsidy could have been spent on schools, hospitals or, perish the thought, on far more cost effective services rail services, from which society would have gained far more benefit. Many rail services lose money, but very few lose this much - the question is whether those funds could have been spent elsewhere in the transport budget and gotten a better return.

Cost per passenger is a good simple metric. On it's most basic level, it essentially means that, because the cost per passenger on the WRC is a multiple of that on (say) Cork-Dublin, or Athlone/Galway, that the money spent on the WRC (capital and current cost) could have achieved far greater (societal) return elsewhere on the network - that it could have moved more people, for less, elsewhere. That doesn't make rational sense from a transport policy perspective.

On a slightly more complex level, the model of regional development being pursued west of the Shannon (and elsewhere in the developed world) involves investment in 'sub-optimal' infrastructure to prop up the economy, and to incentivise business investment ("if you build it, they will come"). Evidence for this ever working successfully is disputed, but the principal of the State investing in areas like this is generally accepted. The question then becomes 'why the WRC, over any number of other such projects' (like better bus services within Limerick and Galway cities, better commuter rail for Galway and Limerick on existing lines). The answer to that seems to be the political sway of groups like West on Track, and the emotional poor me-ism of some people west of the Shannon, who refuse to plan on a 21st century basis (or even a 20th century basis), but still expect 21st century rail services, and the ultimate capitulation by Ministers for Transport to build this thing, despite all evidence to the contrary. As has been said before, thats down to the fact that the FF Govt felt they had to be seen to 'do something' for the West of Ireland in terms of infrastructure, at a time when they thought they had money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

MayoForSam wrote: »
    That same argument would also apply to the massive fleet of hypothetical taxi drivers and taxis that would be needed to transport the same passengers for the same cost (door-to-door too, which a train couldn't match).

I took a stroll along a disused section of the track from Tuam to Milltown near Kilconly last weekend and it really brought home what an asset this rail line could be if a much smaller amount of money was spent on it to turn it into a greenway for walkers and cyclists. The scenery even in flat old north Co. Galway was very pleasant to look at, especially on the elevated sections overlooking some small forests and bog lakes. In fact, some of the costs could be recouped by recycling the old rails, scrap metal is getting a very good price these days.

Plenty of community employment schemes could be set up to get some folks off the live register and do a lot of the work, now I wonder will the powers-that-be ever cop on and smell the coffee? Alas, probably not - the lack of capital funding may just kill off the WRC sooner rather than later however.

I commuted from Tuam to Galway by car for over 10 years and the train service, even if it had existed, I wouldn't even have considered it as a train could never have matched the car for speed and convenience (even with the traffic congestion around the city). Tuam to Galway via Athenry :rolleyes: and still be a 20 minute walk from the university / hospital? I don't think so.

Glory be a converted follower. I might just take up the cloth.

Plus the fact we are all getting older and flat tracks/greenways to walk and cycle on attract grey users - and guess what they have money to spend on lunch, B&Bs, good quality bikes, etc etc.

Just adding to this post - the tide is turning did anyone hear the report on drivetime re the Great Western Greenway:

06 May 2011, 13:00:00
    we hear about the Great Western Greenway in Mayo pod-v-21m26s060511drivetime-pid0-1286256.mp3

:DFolks I know this thread has died away of late, but just had to share this email that West on Track has sent out to numerous councillors in sligo mayo. It's quite unbelievable.

[BOARDS.IE EDIT] Folks, under no circumstance can you share other people's emails - and especially email addresses!! - on this site without the permission of the person who sent the email. Email snipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

some of them live in Towns rather than Villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

his individual has engaged on internet fora such as boards.ie

is he referring to you westtip:confused:

it's a funny read alright.

you know that voice Clarkson does when he's being nerdy? That's how I picture this guy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Looks like you better start packing westtip before the Ox Mountain gang get you.

claremorris.jpg

is he referring to you westtip:confused:

it's a funny read alright.

you know that voice Clarkson does when he's being nerdy? That's how I picture this guy :pac:

speaking as one of westtip probable other IDs...yes , they mean him....:D

I've changed the locks, bought the dark glasses and hired a body guard, in fact the email just gave me the chance to write to the all aforementioned councillors refuting all the WOT arguments - so far only a positive response!

He seems to forget that the existing PW will all be lifted if its ever re-opened in the first place, seeing as its ancient, rusted and warped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

dynamick wrote: »
    Service is carrying 60,000 passengers per year.
    Subvention was expected at 2.4m/year but this was based on passenger number of 100,000. So it's losing more like 2.6m/year or €43/trip. So even if we disregard the sunk costs, it's still an incredibly stupid way to waste money
    What about the state competing against itself by running buses at convenient intervals and curtailing the competitiveness of the rail option by limiting service? The Irischer Zeiten neglected to mention that in its report when they noted a slight decrease in useage. The long-term costs to the country of having that motorway will be higher than that of even the limited-service railway. The state runs both services.

Anyone want to bet that hourly trains running from 9 am to 6 pm skipping all stops between Limerick and Galway would be a better sell than five trains in each direction (four on Sundays) at odd times of day (two- to three-hour intervals between services) that stop at eight intermediate stations? Remember, the X51 is a daily timetable (that means it runs the same timetable on Sundays). And for those that miss the X51, there's the local 51. How is it that there's a need for all those buses but not for the trains? (But of course, when the state feels like it, they cut bus services to induce train use.)

The state laughs at you, because they seem to realise that they can influence your thinking so easily.

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »

As well as seeking to take control of the railway north of Claremorris, this individual has consistently attacked the idea of reopening the other sections of the Western Rail Corridor and is currently propagating false figures about the performance of phase 1 in letters to the media and to the Department of Transport. These claims will be publicly refuted by Iarnród Éireann in the most comprehensive manner in the next few days and a copy of their statement will be sent to you.

He is really scare of you Westtip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

CIE wrote: »

Anyone want to bet that hourly trains running from 9 am to 6 pm
    Ah yes, the auld public servant mentality, sher who'd want to travel anywhere after the angelus bells have stopped ringing.

Luckily the M18 allows us drive on a much safer route for the other 15 hours of the day and allows private sector public transport companies provide a service.

pray tell how the state will cut private sector bus services to induce train use. I'm all ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Colman O'Raghallaigh or whatever the pretentious village idiot describes himself as thinks that is ONE individual.

Wrong

It is many......

Of course, this has been going on since 2004, and with the revenue coffers empty, they are not going to like being told.

"Sorry, no cash"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

@Westtip

I'll call you shortly. You are not alone.

However, well done on generating the typical reaction from the bould Colman. The troops will be rallying. Hopefully WOT supporters won't be threatening you with the same kind of sordid threats I got 7 years ago.

For the record: WOT don't do public debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

And its deputy states:

Turbotim10

Whilst I appreciate that it is vital that existing infrastructure is maintained in a safe condition (both road and rail), I do hope that consideration is given to the fact that rail projects such as phase 2 of the WRC to Tuam will reduce the dependency on the road network in the West and will build on the success of the already re-opened section of the WRC.

The above I shall remind posters, my fellow posters....in case you want to know is the "gentleman" who banned:

DWCommuter
    dermo88
    corktina
    OurLadyofKnock
    Judgement_Day
    westtip

And many many many more posters over the years. I wonder what they are taking in the water when they describe Ennis-Athenry as a success.

Ask - ask sincerely, could ALL those posters be wrong?
    Ask - were their misdeeds so bad that they warranted being banned?
    Ask - did their acts warrant being harrassed by the head honcho at the playboy mansion?

Currently, the WRC, it barely fulfils the lowest barrier from closure under Renfe (Spanish Railways), and DB (Germany), where the KPI is 25% Revenue/Cost ratio AND/OR >/= 50,000 users per annum.

It is not out of spite, schaudenfruede, or pique that the WRC is seen to fail. It endangers the cause of future investment in the network. It has indirectly lead to the closure of Waterford to Rosslare Strand. It will indirectly lead to the closure of Limerick-Ballybrophy. It endangers the future of Limerick Jctn to Waterford. Its existence will also prevent Clonsilla to Navan from going ahead, because it has been designed to fail and prevent future railway investment. The Motor Industry of Ireland dream of such a failure. Its just like having those awful plastic push/pull sets on the suburbans pre DART......

CIE - The best advertisement for a car dealership since.......since.......since.......

But certain parties involved with preventing the Navan railway by stealth stand to lose out substantially. These are linked to the previous, discredited, incompetent, corrupt Fianna Fail maladministration, which was without a shadow of a doubt the worst government Ireland had since Independence.

Leo Varadkar has my every sympathy in attempting to repair the damage left to him by Dempsey and Cullen.

They could teach Nigerians about corruption.

Lesson number one, how to hide it, without waving 50,000 banana notes in the air.

Lesson number two, how to distract 'patriots' in Celtic T-shirts, while looting the treasury.

Lesson number three, how to lie and keep a straight face.

Lesson number four, how to appoint a proven liar and thief to the Parliamentary ethics committee.

Lesson number five, how to bump him off <snip> before he squeals on everyone in a dangerous Eastern European city.

If it were not true it would be comic. Unfortunately......the aftermath is tragic and it permeates every seam of Irish society. It is the toxic legacy of Haugheyism. This toxic legacy ensures that there is:

No accountability
    No transparency

Merely a Nixonesque trail of subterfuge, of lies, of intrigue, of backstabbing, of double dealing, of nod and wink, of cover up, of failure, of deceit.

Consequently.....Ireland faces an Argentine style morality crisis. If the people at the top lied and cheated, what example does that set for the rest of society?

The answer......none whatsoever.

dermo88 wrote: »
    And its deputy states:

It is not out of spite, schaudenfruede, or pique that the WRC is seen to fail. .

Dermo only picked out this one sentence from your lengthy and brilliant post, Indeed it is not out of spite, another campaigner on this trail got castigated by WOT several years ago for being anti western development - he has been a long time campaigner for the greenway argument based on the fact this kind of investment will grow our most important industry in the west - Tourism. Anyway thanks for al the supportive messages, my intitial reaction to the councillor email - yesterday was one of disbelief and anger -but the fact that 7 (yes 7) councillors forwarded it to me for information - as they were disgusted by its contents says a lot.

On reflection, Our Lady of Knocks post about WOT clearly
    He is really scare of you Westtip.
    shows that by the endless flow of rationale argument they are indeed scared their house of cards is tumbling down - the game is up, but out of spite they want to cling to the last vestage of hope by preventing a scheme that will revolutionise tourism in the west, the massive success of the Great Western Greenway is staring them in the face, the massive failure of the Ennis Athenry failure is doing the same. The latest is a "press release" coming out of West on Track earlier this week read this, and think what you like about this mindset:
    Press Release

Following a meeting today of the Western Inter-County Railway Committee, a committee consisting of elected representatives of Clare, Galway, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo County Councils, in Claremorris Co. Mayo, a statement was issued on the future development of the railway between Claremorris and Colloney.

“The Committee has considered the findings of an engineering survey of currently disused Collooney-Claremorris Railway. It is unanimous opinion of all the elected members present that the findings preclude the possibility of developing a greenway along or adjacent to the route of the proposed revitalized line”

A spokesman added that there had been a great deal of misinformed comment on this subject recently but it was now clear that such a greenway was incompatible with the future development of the railway.

Contact Cllr. Micheal McGreal Chairman

It is indeed sad for a campaigning group to add the final kind of comment, and for me is their greatest compliment yet. One can just imagine the tone of such a clandestine meeting, I wonder is Leo V aware of their decision- he is now BTW.

The fact that WOT actually quoted internet forums like this one as a source of what was it he said in the now infamous email [HTML]in vile generalized and personal attacks on voluntary community workers [/HTML] in an email is quite astonishing, he really must hate me, but actually what he really hates is that someone in the west could dare to offer any alternative view - and guess what gather support which is snowballing. All the councillors were written to yesterday with an email which read:
    Dear Councillors:

I refer to the email below you have received from West on Track. I don’t think there is any need to pull punches here, as the Individual the organization refers to is clearly me; about that I make no denial, however many of the accusations made in the email I refute and have been referred to my lawyer, None of the information I have sent you is either misleading or false, of that I can assure you. Also the fact that my arguments are unacceptable to West on Track are neither here nor there, West on Track do not hold the monopoly on arguments or opinions about the future of the Western Rail corridor. I have never sought to “take control” of the line north of Claremorris as suggested by West on Track, I have merely put into the public agenda an alternative view – one that has gathered credence and is gaining local support in Sligo.

The tone of the email is condescending and makes wild accusations which as I said have been referred to my lawyer – but as legal proceedings will take some time to resolve I feel a response is necessary without making personal accusations. West on Track did not send the email to me, and have not openly asked for a public debate on this issue, I feel the need to make representation to all recipients about the fairly obvious slur on my good name that is being made in the email. I consider it slightly underhand to refer to an individual – not by name but by insinuation – and not to include that person accused in the circulation of the documentation. I do hope they took good legal advice before sending out the email.

Let me make one thing clear. As I am sure a copy of this email will be sent to West on Track - to save anyone forwarding this email I am sending a copy to Colman O Raghallaigh – in an open society I believe in open debate and if an attack is to be made on a persons character rather than the arguments being made by that person – that attack should be made in person, openly and a public debate should be had. I am also sending a copy to Minister Leo Varadkar because lets face it at the end of the day, it will be his call. If the attack on the persons arguments is reduced to name calling and innuendo – then clearly the arguments being made by the accuser are falling foul. This is what I think has happened here.

Regarding all the arguments about Greenway versus Railway versus Railway with parallel greenway on the section of the line from Claremorris to Collooney lets just look at some key points:

Transport 21 makes no clear commitment to re-open this section of the line – if you don’t believe me check out the Transport 21 website. Here is the link to the exact page: http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/Western_Rail_Corridor.html the exact quote is: the line from “Claremorris to Collooney is to be preserved” So please don’t be under any illusions – there were never plans to re-open this section of the line – not from the last government and not from this government. In fact the idea for a greenway along this line was mentioned as a possible use of the line by Eamon O’Cuiv – would you believe at a West on Track Conference back in May 2009 in Claremorris – some of you might have been at that conference but just to remind you – this is what he had to say
    Eamon O’Cuiv May 2009, The Minister told the conference that he "would like to take the opportunity to pose a question and that is should we use the section of the railway line north of Claremorris as a walkway and cycleway while it is not open as railway? The Claremorris to Collooney stretch of the railway line will not start before 2014 and its use as a walkway and cycleway would solve a lot of encroachment issues in the meantime. It is something for us to think about."

The Government have committed to building a national cycle network (this was in both the labour and FG manifesto) and is in the programme for Government – and in the view of a growing number of people the route from Claremorris to Collooney represents an excellent opportunity for such a Greenway as part of the National Cycle Network. This is what several of us are doing – arguing in favour of this execution.

By the way for your information, re the further extension of the railway the Labour party made no reference to the further extension of the WRC phase 2 (Athenry Tuam) nor phase 3 (Tuam – Claremorris) in their manifesto, and FG stated both further extensions would be subject to an independent cost benefit analysis – you can make of this what you will – personally I have drawn my own conclusions.

The Western Rail Corridor was the subject of an extensive study in 2005 – the report known as the McCann report became the benchmark/blueprint for the re-opening of the line. The section of the line from Claremorris to Collooney was clearly identified at that stage as the least likely to be re-opened – for two main reasons – it was actually difficult to justify on demographics and therefore demand, and the fact the section of the line was built in the 1890s to light railway standard and the cost to bring it up to the required modern standards was going to be €4.3 million per mile compared to the forecast cost of €2.1 million per mile for the Ennis Athenry section – these are 2005 costs. Ask yourself this question – in the current climate do you really think the Government will be allowed (yes allowed is the right term) to go ahead with such a project?

The conversion of the northern section of the line to a Greenway would not be a “short term gain” as Mr. O Raghallaigh says. Many businesses have benefited from the opening of the Great Western Greenway – which has seen 700 people per day using the route in the Easter holidays. These bring in what I call Tired Hungry Tourists. The line from Collooney to Claremorris may not have the stunning views over Clew Bay but does run through some beautiful countryside which would have massive appeal for both foreign tourists and for internal tourists to use, It would be an ideal execution and bring immediate jobs to both counties Mayo and Sligo. If you want to use your imagination then look at the shots that have been posted on Facebook along the line and imagine Tired Hungry Tourists using this route every day: Take a look at the photos that have been posted you will see what I mean

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001773703036#!/media/set/?set=a.132428960167935.31528.131984266879071

Converting the line to a greenway would be giving the counties of Sligo and Mayo a vital piece of infrastructure that will deliver jobs – and believe me if we sit around waiting for a train from Claremorris to Collooney – we will – and this a personal opinion be waiting until most of our grandchildren are pushing up daisies. However, as many of you know – An Taioseach Enda Kenny has openly said he supports the idea as reported in the Irish Times in January –If you want a copy of the email he sent me get in touch – but please read the Irish Times report here

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0131/1224288605586.html Actually I quite like the idea of having the leader of the government on “my” side, although I don’t see this issue as a battle of one view over another – I see it as massive opportunity for tourism economics in the West of Ireland, I have this sneaking belief that Mr. Kenny agrees with me. Frank Mcdonald wrote this piece, and I have copied this email to Frank for information, - Frank you should read the email below from West on Track to understand the fire I am under for daring to present an alternative view.

Regarding the rest of the Western Rail corridor – the bit from Athenry to Tuam and from Tuam to Claremorris. My personal belief is if these projects are to go ahead – provision should be made for a parallel greenway on the route. This has been achieved as Mr O Raghallaigh quite rightly points out in the UK– and it is my belief it should be done with the proposed route from Athenry to Claremorris indeed it would add huge value to the whole Western Rail corridor project. Personally I don’t think the rail project will go ahead, we know the times we live in, and sacrifices have to be made, and at the time of the opening of the Ennis Athenry section the then Minister of Transport Noel Dempsey said: “However, we all have to face the reality that the current funding environment is very difficult and it will not be possible to progress all the projects in Transport 21 in accordance with the ambitious timescale envisioned at its launch.” Read his full speech here http://www.noeldempsey.ie/index.php/national-speech/speech-for-the-official-re-opening-of-the-western-rail-corridor-monday-29-march-2010

Of course he is not running the show now, but there was a fairly consistent message delivered by the last Minister that this project had to be supported and well supported by the travelling public to ensure the future of the rest of the project. – see next point.

Mr Dempsey went on to say in the same speech “I cannot overstate the critical importance of local support for Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor in promoting the development of further phases of the Corridor.
    Now that the dream of reopening Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor has been realised, the challenge is to ensure its success.”
    Regarding current use of the WRC from Ennis to Athenry – It was actually a journalist in the Irish Times who published information gained under an FOI request that showed the line is not actually being used as much as forecast, I think its about 4330 journies per month being made on the line, which equates to about 14 people per train up and down the line. The latent demand it seems actually wasn’t there. If Irish Rail are going to refute their own figures provided under an FOI request to a journalist I look forward to seeing them. The line has clearly not set the world alight but there you go – many people forecast this from the outset. I have copied this email to the journalist in question who wrote this article. Gordon Deegan the link to the article is here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0310/1224291779125.html It makes interesting reading. If you want a copy of the FOI release to the journalist drop me a line via email and I will send them to you.

I actually believe the WRC campaign has fundamental economic argument flaws, again this is one view, but it is gaining credence, West on Track are entitled to express a view. The west of Ireland is one of the most car dependent societies in Europe, we rely on the road for all of our supply chain logistics, for our social lives and for doing business. With widely dispersed housing patterns and relatively small urban areas, and small communities re-opening a nineteenth century branch line along the route of an old rail line is not going to have the big impact which West on Track claim. In fact I think even if the rail line were put in place from Letterkenny to Limerick it would have minimal economic benefit to the West. Yes it might be nice to have but … The key transport infrastructure for the West of Ireland – is without doubt the Atlantic Road Corridor a view I have expressed in the letters pages of both national and regional newspapers. This project will make a huge difference to the economic well being of the West of Ireland. However I am in complete agreement with West on Track – in the mail below they say “The recovery in Ireland and in particular the west of Ireland will hinge on infrastructure and tourism among other things” Yes – tourism infrastructure as has been clearly proven on the Great Western Greenway will bring us out the doldrums. Yes the upgrading of the N17/18 will make a huge difference. I just think the arguments for a rail line along the old WRC alignment will actually add very little value to our economy. Many economists agree with me – including Colm McCarthy, I have copied this email to Colm so he can see the accusations being made against me.

I could give you more arguments and points folks – Lets leave it at that for now. I am actually quite flattered in a way that all my writing and campaigning on this subject has produced such a personal attack on me from West on Track however I am more interested in dealing with the arguments.

If you want to join the facebook campaign for the SligoMayogrenwaycampaign go to this link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001773703036 More and more people are joining every day – the movement is growing. Also I would ask – why not step up to the plate – if you think the arguments in favour of a greenway are strong ones say so – tell West on Track and lets go for it.

If I had a pub, restaurant, bed and breakfast, hotel along the route – I know what I would like to see and I know which project will create jobs and prosperity.

I remain yours sincerely

www.sligomayogreenway.com

So far I have only had postive responses, and nothing one could describe as vile and abusive, I will leave that to others.

Thanks again folks, these people have deepened my resolve.

almost impossible to read that email westtip...can you edit it plese...

corktina wrote: »
    almost impossible to read that email westtip...can you edit it plese...

yes thanks to Mgmt not sure what happened when I pasted that in - but it is now above thanks to Mgmt, in fact I have fixed it in the original post.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    @Westtip

I'll call you shortly. You are not alone.

However, well done on generating the typical reaction from the bould Colman. The troops will be rallying. Hopefully WOT supporters won't be threatening you with the same kind of sordid threats I got 7 years ago.

For the record: WOT don't do public debates.

His whole argument is and always been based on a sort of passive agressiveness in that "you better support my cause or else..." - very infantile.

"Play the game my way or I will put in all my toys back in the box and nobody will play!!"

Can anyone find any fault or anything negative about turning the line North of Athenry into a cycleway? There is none. It is a 100% win-win situation for everyone except WoT.

So therefore everything I have said about then for the better part of a decade now that:

WEST ON TRACK IS NOT ABOUT RAIL TRANSPORT

WEST ON TRACK IS NOT ABOUT REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT

WEST ON TRACK IS ONLY ABOUT ONE THING ONLY: WEST ON TRACK.

100% vidication there in his email to Westip. It is like a sort of unofficial QUANGO which sees its own survivial as being the only agenda.

(dermo88, you forgot to mentiont that Turbotim lives in London and he was banning people from Ireland who criticised his beloved WRC)

• Advertisement

100% vidication there in his email to Westip. It is like a sort of unofficial QUANGO which sees its own survivial as being the only agenda.

]

OLK good post and again thank you, one small point though the email from West on Track was not sent to me - it castigated and villified my name - without naming me, and was sent to every councillor in the counties of Sligo and Mayo, fortunately several of those councillors who I have got to know in my canvassing for this project, had the courtesy to send the email to me - saying have you seen what they are writing about you. This is what is so galling for WOT, many of the councillors have actually already changed their mind about the committment to the WRC north of Claremorris because of what they have seen going on on the GWG which has created jobs in Newport/Mulranney area, councillors and indeed all politicians are interested about the what can be done now, not what might be done in 20 or 30 years time. This is why the greenway argument is so compelling for many of them in both Sligo and Mayo. The argument has already been won, the battle now is to get the thing through the multitude of layers in the system, the vested interests of West on Track are going to try and stop this happening as it ensures them a place on quangos like the Western Inter County Railway committee - Anyway I must go now and settle into my bunker - somewhere on the western rail corridor - I am taking plenty of supplies, I have satelite broadband and will report from somewhere near the ox mountains soon, watch out on the news as official announcement is made of A coup de verte rue taking place somewhere outside Tubbercurry - I can just see Brian Dobson now - handing over to Teresa Mannion our north west correspondent - reporting on the revolutionary occupation of the WRC by Westtip and his army of followers...... Actually I am just going for a walk in the hills after going to Lidl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement