Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible help/cure for stuttering

• 22-05-2013 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All
    I was doing some research online when I came across the following links from a study conducted using the vitamin Thiamin and also the vitamin magnesium which enhances the thiamin effect to reduce stuttering or effectively cure some people from stuttering.
    Obviously,people should consult their doctor before taking these vitamins.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/centerforstuttering/cure/prweb5039564.htm

http://stuttersense.blogspot.ie/2011/03/thiamine-breakthrough-in-stuttering.html

Personally,I am on thiamin since Sunday and Magnesium since yesterday(Tuesday) so no noticeable changes yet,here's more info-

Dr. Schwartz recommends taking 300 mg daily, as three 100 mg pills taken one at each meal. He also recommends taking 400 mg of magnesium orotate daily, as two 200 mg pills, one at breakfast and one at dinner. I've been taking the magnesium for over a month and haven't seen any change in my speech, but I've also heard that magnesium can take months to be absorbed into one's cells. Dr. Schwartz also advises no coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, meat, chicken, raw fish (sushi), antacids, or alcohol; and recommends taking a teaspoon of lemon juice in a glass of spring water four times a day (upon rising and before sleeping and between meals).

Above is from another link which it wont allow me to link for some reason!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DelftBlue

oh if only it were that simple.

I am not sure if those vitamins will help you or not, I hope for your sake that they do. I don't think there is any evidence to say they will and this Dr seems to advocate lots of other stuff you need to do as well. I won't be putting my money on this as a cure or even as a help. I have found that the search for a cure as the most pointless of activities with regard to stammering so I am going for acceptance.

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Thanks, this really helped me attempt to fight my mumble unfortunately I ultimately falld.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stutteringdude

I didn't complete the trial because my diet wasn't compatible with il try it again sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

There is no cure. You just have to learn to live with it. If you do, it becomes less and less of a problem. There are no easy cures sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

One of my close friends used to have a severe stutter. He doesn't have it now and it's barely noticeable unless he told you.
    His cure according to him consisted of:
    Talking about it to everyone he knew and letting on it was much worse ie stuttering deliberately, this helped desensitise him to it and get over the fear of speaking.
    He had left school at a young age with no qualifications because of the stutter. He returned to study as adult, got some qualifications under his belt, worked voluntary in the public arena with daily speaking to strangers, and this in turn increased his confidence.
    The only times I notice his stutter is when he visits the area he grew up in and it seem some bad memories surface, but even then it disappears again.

Hope this helps someone with the difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 arold10

I tried the pill referred to unfortunately, it did not work for me. Based on the study there is a possibility that only 30% of those who stutter may have a breakthrough by using the pill. Since, there is nothing to lose It's a good idea for anyone with a speech impediment to give it try, if it works stick to it.

Advertisement