Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Western Rail Corridor Thread

• 07-04-2013 4:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

This is a thread for those who believe in one use for the line from Limerick to Sligo, and one use only, as a functioning railway line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is a thread for those who believe in one use for the line from Limerick to Sligo, and one use only, as a functioning railway line.

I think any WRC supporter with cop on who knows the history of this subject on boards will give this the widest possible berth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I believe it should be a functioning rail line. There is a use for it.

1. Get a lifting train.
    2. Put the rails on to flat wagons.
    3. Sell the sleepers to the highest bidder.
    4. Buy brand new sleepers, for the appropriate gauge is required.
    5. Sell to a third world country that needs cheap second hand rails, such as Cambodia, Zimbabwe, Malawi. God knows they need it more than Ireland ever will.

Guess what Spongebob, do you know what that is?

Yay, a functioning railway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Con Logue wrote: »
    I think any WRC supporter with cop on who knows the history of this subject on boards will give this the widest possible berth.

It's dodgy alright - starting to split up and reproduce itself - Beware !!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Isn't there a thread for this already or did I miss the fun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

donvito99 wrote: »
    Isn't there a thread for this already or did I miss the fun?

More than one. The 'fun' as you put it is almost 10 years old at this stage and the 'fun' has given much to the moderators to be a doing for many years already....but not in the Trains Sub Forum thankfully. This place is civilised. :)

However one thread is needed where only one use is countenanced or entertained, namely that the entire alignment is preserved as a railway and/or restored as a railway and in which thread other uses and suggestions as to what to do (particularly with the currently unused alignment) are not to be entertained at all.

Where better than in the Trains forum which creation long postdates WRC discussions elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Difficult to isolate this item here as a technical matter when it has been almost wholly political for the last couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭pigtown

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    However one thread is needed where only one use is countenanced or entertained, namely that the entire alignment is preserved as a railway and/or restored as a railway and in which thread other uses and suggestions as to what to do (particularly with the currently unused alignment) are not to be entertained at all.

Howabout a thread where only one topic is entertained, namely the WRC as it currently exists; Limerick-Galway, and how it could be improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmlfc

where are we now? last I heard they were goona tarmac the remaining line and turn it into a cycleway

NO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Please use one of the two current WRC threads.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement