Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB to take on a British thug firm to chase after 130.000 unpaid bills.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I couldnt care less that the ESB are using debt collectors to get their payments, i'm more annoyed that theyre using a Uk company, i'm sure there are plenty of Irish companies that they could have used!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bord Gais use Emerald Isle Collections in Dundalk by the way http://www.emeraldislecollections.com/?page_id=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

moan moan moan, at the end of the day we'll all bend over and take it though, as we do with every thing else they hit us with in this country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sykk wrote: »
    Some fat bastard can try intimidate all he want, but they can't actually physically ever touch you.. Scare tactics fail.

Isn't there a well known Dublin criminal that now operates a taxi/chauffeur service which also now runs a collection agency?
    (Can't think of his name right now)
    Apparently his scare tactics work effectively!

I wouldn't like him turning up at my door (if I was out) and confronting my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Biggins wrote: »
    Isn't there a well known Dublin criminal that now operates a taxi/chauffeur service which also now runs a collection agency?(Can't think of his name right now). I wouldn't like him turning up at my door (if I was out) and confronting my wife.

The Viper Foley from what I remember.

• Advertisement

Thats the chap - soon to be out of the taxi business anyway.

He has survived the ultimate debt collector about five times now. Charming man. http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/1115/foley.html?view=print?view=print . Simple van driver in the wrong place at the wrong time..... repeatedly. Can't see any issue with him setting up shop as a debt collector..

prinz wrote: »
    He has survived the ultimate debt collector about five times now. Charming man. http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/1115/foley.html?view=print?view=print . Simple van driver in the wrong place at the wrong time..... repeatedly. Can't see any issue with him setting up shop as a debt collector..

Indeed, charming man that you'd love to invite in for a cup of tea while discussing you ESB bill!

Looks like he's not too good at the business anyway:
    The debt collection agency run by the Dublin criminal Martin “The Viper” Foley, slipped into the red last year, posting a loss of €18,388 for the 12 months to the end of September 2010.

The performance by Viper Debt Recovery and Repossession Services, which compared to a profit of €27,316 in the previous year, came as sales plunged at the business.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1103/1224306978812.html

Anyway, back on topic, if the other agency thats actually hired by the ESB wants to be scary and put the fear of god into some people, I'm sure they will and are quiet capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Although I do not like this kind of intimidation (or the minimum price idea for electricity)
    I do think a lot of people need to go back to the days when we were more cautious about electricity use. Do we need every light in the house on when we are in one room? That's a good example.
    Friend of mines kids, when they visit they turn on any lights that are off (this is say time) and if you turn them off they just turn on again. Telling them not to doesn't seem to hit home. It's the way they were brought up though. In their own home every light is on most of the day. Which seems common these days.
    When I was small in the 80s my man always drilled home 'if you're not using it turn it off' which included stereos and tvs etc.

I hate intimidation tactics to get money. But I also wonder what else would work. A lot of folks don't know about the repayment options (to be fair it's because they haven't looked into it) - we have too laid back a 'sure it'll be grand, somehow' attitude. And at the moment we are being reminded that no it won't just resolve itself without pulling up your boot straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Prepay Meters are needed. This post pay stuff is shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I agree. People should pay their electricity bills.
    "Let them eat cake"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The other scheme I'm referring to for people struggling with utility bills is below:

http://www.anpost.ie/NR/exeres/A2B30CA6-BBC5-45CF-AA38-9DE8061E0822.htm

It's done through an Post and when you're set up with it you can call ESB and look for the Household Budget price plan. It gives you 4% off I think. Not an awful lot, but better than nothing and every little bit would help if you're stuck:

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/manage-your-account/trouble-paying-your-bill.jsp

Prepay Meters are needed...

What is the story with them?
    I was told that currently you cannot request one to be installed but that only the ESB will stick one in if they consider you a risk of not paying up?
    (A friend asked for one and was refused. He then had to try 'crying' to them about his future inability to pay so they eventually put one in for him.)

Genuine question.

token101 wrote: »
    The other scheme I'm referring to for people struggling with utility bills is below:

http://www.anpost.ie/NR/exeres/A2B30CA6-BBC5-45CF-AA38-9DE8061E0822.htm

It's done through an Post and when you're set up with it you can call ESB and look for the Household Budget price plan. It gives you 4% off I think. Not an awful lot, but better than nothing and every little bit would help if you're stuck:

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/manage-your-account/trouble-paying-your-bill.jsp

Cheers for that.
    I know a few here will appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

drdeadlift wrote: »
    pay as you go electricity might be the best for some customers in the future,sure esb might make a bit less if people use their power a bit more gingerly.Its gas the way prices always go up.

esb's prices are set by the regulator, 100% nothing to do with esb what the regulator decides they can sell their units for.
    Electric Ireland has had to write off €15m in bills for householders that it was unable to recover last year and a similar amount the previous year.

god help a company trying to claim some of the money they are owed back.

and im 99.9% sure esb said there would be no disconnections over the cold xmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I was told that currently you cannot request one to be installed but that only the ESB will stick one in if they consider you a risk of not paying up?
    (A friend asked for one and was refused. He then had to try 'crying' to them about his future inability to pay so they eventually put one in for him.)

Genuine question.

the smart metering is still in test phase, 20,000 homes have them afaik.

theyre at elast another year or two away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i once had to deal with BCW Ireland (that is their irish office registration) with regards to a BOI loan i once had (paid if off since) to be honest BCW were that bad to deal with.... many times i missed payments when i was out of work and waiting for the social welfare officer to get off her fat ass and stamp my claim form (8 month wait) and they (BCW) adjusted my repayment amount to suit what i could afford to pay.

eventually when i got back dated 8 months worth of claims i was able to pay off the last of my loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

feudal system still in existence here... Black and Tans part 2

Yes indeedy. Sure ESB had to agree to take the lives of GAA fans as valid payment for debts owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We spent 800 years trying to get away from them and now Semi State bodies are letting them walk all over us again.

Would you see any British semi state body hiring republican thugs?, not a chance.

At least we allow serfs to access the internet now though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very easy to get installed. Just ring up and tell them you have lost your job and want a card meter installed.

My 2 mates got them. They give you a card that you simply top up in spar/centra etc etc

you can look at the meter at any time and it tells you your balance remaining.

I think a point to note is that ESB are not chasing somebody who owes €10 and passing the balance onto every next bill, it is people that oew a couple of hundred, but more importantly, have made no effert to reduce the bill, ie. weekly payment etc and have simply ignored payment scheme requests by ESB.

I have no problem with this, if you didnt pay your UPC bill, your dissconnected after one month, end of!
    Would you see any British semi state body hiring republican thugs?, not a chance.

So now your saying, BCW are Loyalist Thugs ?

I don't see an Irish semi-state hiring loyalist thugs either. What's your point? This is no different to people shopping in Tesco or signing up to Sky TV. You don't want to deal with a British based debt collection agency? Pay you bills when they are due.

We spent 800 years trying to get away from them and now Semi State bodies are letting them walk all over us again.

Letting who walk all over you? The British? BCW are a UK company, but they offices in Dublin aswell. So the guy calling you will be probably be based in Dublin, most likely in the same situation as the people he's calling, hating every minute of his **** job. They have bought the debt from ESB. It's got literally nothing whatsoever to do with colonialism. You're talking nonsense.

kceire wrote: »
    Very easy to get installed. Just ring up and tell them you have lost your job and want a card meter installed.

My 2 mates got them. They give you a card that you simply top up in spar/centra etc etc

you can look at the meter at any time and it tells you your balance remaining.

Cheers for that good post.
    Do they charge for the installing of that meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What's the problem?
    Pay your bill and you have have nothing to worry about:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As I said, Bord Gais use Emerald Isle Collections based in Dundalk. Aren't they all republican foot soldiers up there?

(Nice trolling by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I see that ESB have now introduced a new 'low user' extra charge for those of us that don't use enough electricity (probably to raise enough revenue to pay the Black and Tans)

link to story

you really couldn't make this stuff up if you tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

By "letting them walk all over us", you mean letting them ask for money that you owe them? Jesus wept! Does it matter if they're semi state? There's competition in the market, they have to compete with private companies and to be honest, you really have to make no efford to in paying your bill to get cut off. Now Airtricity on the other hand.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Will the UK debt collection company hire Irish residents?

• Advertisement

Will the UK debt collection company hire Irish residents?

Collaborators Joe. Pitch-capping would be too good for them.

Advertisement