Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should/How Do I Get Rid Of My Car?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice, please? I have an '02 VW Golf, which broke down the other day. I think the gearbox went. The engine still works...i.e. the car runs but it doesn't 'go'. I had to get a new ECU (laptop) about 6/9 mths ago and a few other things...new battery, new coil etc...cost a few grand. I'm reluctant to put anymore money into the car but I think it's still worth something...maybe as spare parts to a mechanic kind of thing. Would anyone know if there are people willing to pay for a car that doesn't go?! Am I doing the right thing getting rid of it and just cutting my losses at this stage. I don't have enough to buy another car at the moment so I don't think trading it in/for scappage is an option. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd find out what's wrong with it first - might be the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above, remove the guess work, Find out what is wrong with it and make an informed decision from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 151 ✭✭greenermetals

if you scrap it, (and im not saying you should,) make sure and get the cert of destruction from an authorised treatment facility. It seems pretty fresh to be scrapped though, but if you sell it, make sure you transfer ownership.

Those types of golf dont seem to have the reliability of its predecessors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JudeMurrayDub

Thanks very much for replying - great advice. I'm meeting a mechanic later and will let you know how it goes.

Advertisement