Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with this new .com craze in sentences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The first person I heard say it was Catherine Tate a few years ago. I don't know if she started it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Tim Comerford from RATM was credited on one of their albums as tim.com.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The first person I heard say it was Catherine Tate a few years ago. I don't know if she started it though.

I'd say it's a bit older than however long shes been on the box. Sure that people would have used the phrase back in the late '90's early 2000's, when the internet was going .com mad. Don't suppose the character she had saying it was supposed to be from back around then by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ireland is fast becoming a mini America with these phrases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Ruth Scott is a muppet.org/talentless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I like to be patriotic and say .ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I've heard people say things such as:

"Hello, I'm XXX YYY... DOT COM."

It was kinda funny to begin with, but now it's just annoying as hell. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Webmonkey wrote: »
    As time goes on more and more people I know especially on facebook seem to be using .com after every verb, for example I'm bored.com, I'm tired.com, wreaked.com. FFS it's awful, who came up with this? I've heard Ruth Scott on 2fm using this as well.

First of all I thought it was just girls that done it, now I noticed a former class mate update his facebook status with wreaked.com. It's cringe worthy!
    I flipping hate this and thought I was the only one who didn't understand what was going on!! I thought it had faded away again as quickly, but no, I've viewed it on a few peoples profiles lately!! It's stupid.

Oh and what's wreaked.com? ................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

It really isn't any different to any of these memes which pop up among those who allow their vocabulary to be dictated by what appears to be cool for 15 minutes. Another example is the affix "out", most often used in conjunction with the word happy:"I'm happy-out." They usually have a brief shelf life because they are patently stupid and annoying, a fact which becomes clear as soon as the novelty wears out.

The greeting, "what's the script?" used to annoy me a lot, but it barely got off the ground at all (at least in my experience) so I was spared the pain of hearing it all too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

i think it is a lot to do with confused.com but i remember using it years ago a couple of times for my own amusement, never stuck though. I shoulda copyrighted the trend! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

How about OMG.ie ???

anyone?

yea well you wait till some toff reads this and it'll be all OMG.ie in UCD.......you'll see!

I coined that ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Piriz wrote: »
    How about OMG.ie ???

anyone?

yea well you wait till some toff reads this and it'll be all OMG.ie in UCD.......you'll see!

I coined that ****!

Quick! Copyright it ! You'll be minted.com by the end of the year ! Or possibly minted.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'M OSCAR. DOT COM.

/Arrested Development

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'M OSCAR. DOT COM.

/Arrested Development
    Deadly show. Can't wait for movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Ha, this is weird. I was gonna start this thread earlier because two girls on mine, one after another, completely unconnected, had "www.absolutelydyin.com" as their status update.

Let me guess OP: "www.inbits.com" or "www.locked.com" or somethin along those lines?

She did in her dire comedic sh1te. I cite Dennis Leary's Lock and Load from 2000/2001. I remember him saying it way too much back then: "WWW.WHATTHEFUCK.COM".

Does anyone do this in person.com?:confused:
    If on live radio, then yes...Ruth Scott, she's very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've never heard anybody say it but it sounds fairly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

robinph wrote: »
    I'd say it's a bit older than however long shes been on the box. Sure that people would have used the phrase back in the late '90's early 2000's, when the internet was going .com mad. Don't suppose the character she had saying it was supposed to be from back around then by any chance?

The character was a foul mouthed grandmother referred to as 'Nan'. It's hard to say what age she was supposed to be but at a guess I'd say she was supposed to be in her seventies. I think the episode was broadcast in 2003 or 2004. I think the quote was "It's too last minute.com". She also said in a later episode "it's too f***ing late.co.uk".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

just seen my cousin using it on stalkbook....just want to hit him.

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

now I noticed a former class mate update his facebook status with wreaked.com. It's cringe worthy!

Yeah I know sorry, my spelling isn't the best but that's not the point of this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

It's almost as bad as the retards on here who think it's cool to add a little egrave when the spell F*uck.

Sad twats. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

probably has its origins in some of the confused.com advertisements.

I was thinking earlier in the week, where it all came from & I came to the conclusion it has to be that annoying silly advert about home/car insurance and what not. Damn you confused.com. It defiantly has to have come from this. I can't find any other source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

As time goes on more and more people I know especially on facebook seem to be using .com after every verb, for example I'm bored.com, I'm tired.com, wreaked.com. FFS it's awful, who came up with this? I've heard Ruth Scott on 2fm using this as well.

First of all I thought it was just girls that done it, now I noticed a former class mate update his facebook status with wreaked.com. It's cringe worthy!

That is cringe worthy . . .using that in a sentence . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    It's almost as bad as the retards on here who think it's cool to add a little egrave when the spell F*uck.

Sad twats. :pac:

Íts cálléd á fádá ín thís cóúntry . . .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As time goes on more and more people I know especially on facebook seem to be using .com after every verb, for example I'm bored.com, I'm tired.com, wreaked.com. FFS it's awful, who came up with this?

As in "wreaked havoc" ?

I've seen this once or twice recently, and it's pretty pathetic.....it ranks right up there with Tony Fenton's "cockney" rhyming slang.

People who try too hard to be cool.......aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

This post has been deleted.

Tell me about it! I have a mate that spells the whole lot out now.The dot and the forward slashes

Example: paininmybollix.com/crap

Now becomes: paininmybollixdotcomforwardslashcrap

VERY VERY ANNOYING! IT'S NOT FUNNY:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

That .com thing is like soo two years ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Íts cálléd á fádá ín thís cóúntry . . .:rolleyes:

I know that, but I refuse to type out anything in Irish.:pac:

Advertisement