Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Exemption?

• 18-05-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone here has brought a car in from the north or the UK and received the VRT exemption? If so, can you give some details about the documentation and stuff that you had to provide?

I'm in a situation where I'm from the north and living in the north, driving a northern reg car with a Northern/UK driving license, but may be moving to Dublin soon for work. Currently the car is registered, taxed, insured and MOT'd for the north.

From the outside it might sound like I'm exempt from VRT however I'm not sure if I am. The reason for this is that I bought the car originally in 2004 when I was working in Dublin. About a year and a half later my contract at work finished and I left Ireland completely and went to work abroad in Europe and left the car in the North. I arrived back from Europe towards the end of last year and have been living in the North since then at my parents, but haven't been working. It is now almost two years since I last lived and worked in the Republic.

If I do move to Dublin, I don't want to be driving around worried about being stopped by Customs/Gardai about not having the car re-registered, however like anyone, if I'm legally exempt from paying VRT, I sure don't want to pay it. I have checked online and my VRT quote was just over 1000 euro and while I would prefer to have that money in my pocket, I would be willing to pay it in order to have peace of mind.

Another factor is that I don't see myself staying in the Republic forever and would most likely leave again in less than two years and may have to import it back into the North then.

As far as I understand, you need to provide documentation about the vehicle and yourself to prove that you were outside the Republic for at least 6 months. I guess my problem is that because I havent been working for a while, this evidence is tricky to produce for the last 6-7 months. The period before that I lived abroad so a lot of the documenation is not in English.

I guess I'm also worried that they might try and trace back and have me produce evidence right back from the time I bought the car almost 4 years ago and fine me in some way for not paying VRT then.

This might sound strange but this issue is a big reason why I'm reluctant to move back to Dublin for work.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If the car was originally on IRL plates, you can just notify Shannon and stick the old plates back on. No VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

The car has northern plates and has never been registered in the republic or had Irish plates. I guess it should have been re-registered when I was working in Dublin originally. However I didn't do it then which is maybe just as well as I probably would have had to import it back into the north after leaving Dublin, then import it again now if I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

If you have had the car for 6 months and have had it taxed and insured for this period there should be no problem but you do need evidence- they may accept evidence from 4 years ago if you had it taxed and insured then. Contact the VRO office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jessielee2709

hey

im in a similar situation, i owned my car in 2007 in the uk but had no use for it when i moved back last year and its in my friends garage, but now i want to bring it in and i hope im exempt from the vrt, im just worried about the time frame that im living back in ireland or does that matter as the car is still in the uk and off the road, but it was taxed insured ect in my name and i have bank docs ect that i lived in the uk for the whole of 2007? can you give me any advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

hey

im in a similar situation, i owned my car in 2007 in the uk but had no use for it when i moved back last year and its in my friends garage, but now i want to bring it in and i hope im exempt from the vrt, im just worried about the time frame that im living back in ireland or does that matter as the car is still in the uk and off the road, but it was taxed insured ect in my name and i have bank docs ect that i lived in the uk for the whole of 2007? can you give me any advise?

As well as tax/insurance from UK, they also wanted an active bank statements showing I was living in UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Reliefs and Exemptions
    There are various reliefs and exemptions from VRT. These are described in individual public notices which are available from any VRO. They include exemption which may apply in the case of:

transfer of residence
    transfer of business activity
    inheritance.
    Relief is also available for certain persons with disabilities who meet specified medical criteria. An information booklet VRT 7 - Vehicles for People with Disabilities - Tax Relief Scheme is available from the Central Repayments Office, M: TEK II Building, Armagh Road, Monaghan - Telephone 047 - 62100

Note that vehicles that come within the scope of the above reliefs and/or exemptions must also have documentation confirming the level of CO2 emissions of the vehicle. The documentation outlined above is required for all category A vehicles regardless of whether VRT is payable.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt1.html#section10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This should be straightforward enough. Your normal residence has been in NI for the entire period, although you spent short periods elsewhere. When you worked in Dublin your normal residence remained in NI as your family ties were there and you returned there regularly (say this, if asked). You are not in the situation of a person whose normal residence was always in the Republic and who has moved abroad, who has to prove that they really moved. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Streed

Hi,
    I bought a car in NI that was orginally bought in the south. The car was bought new and then transferred to NI. Do I need to pay vrt on this car?
    I don't think it ever had irish plates.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Streed wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a car in NI that was orginally bought in the south. The car was bought new and then transferred to NI. Do I need to pay vrt on this car?
    I don't think it ever had irish plates.

thanks

If it never had Irish plates then it most likely was never registered so VRT will be due, unles you meet the criteria for exemtion.

cheers,
    Must check with the dealer tomorrow for the exact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Great to get away with VRT if you can (legally).

I saw a High Spec 2006 Citroen C6 (approved used) for sale in the North for Stg 16K. Some 07's are selling for that. But, thought I'd run a check on the VRT site, more out of curiosity. OMSP according to the Revenue is EUR60K with VRT of 21K.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

my car is being trailered over here this week so should hopefully be getting it registered on friday, ive put all the details of the car into the vrt calculator on the revenue website and its giving me a vrt amount of just under 1300euro, this value is based on the car having co2 emissions of 158gm however going by my v5 document the car only has 151gm's, when i put this into the calculator the vrt amount drops to just under 1100euro.

Im a bit lost here because i read elsewhere on the revenue website that the co2 level is only used on cars registered after july 2008, does this mean that i will have to pay the higher rate even tho the co2 amount given on the website is higher than what the car is actually producing.

The car is a 2003 Citroen C2GT,

yeah. CO2 emissions do not apply as your car is older than 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

No, CO2 emissions (if available) are used in the calculation of VRT for all cars, but only on post July 2008 cars for motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

So am i able to use the v5 as evidence of the emissions being lower than what they claim or do i have to get the car re-tested for emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK they'll accept the figure on the V5.

your emissions will have no bearing on the VRT value because your car is 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patrick Of

I bought a car in February 2012 and relocated from UK to Ireland in April 2012. I am about to bring in my car from UK this month of October. Will I be exempted from VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patrick Of

I bought a car in February 2012 and relocated from UK to Ireland in April 2012. I am about to bring in my car from UK this month of October. Will I be exempted from VRT?

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

bit of a zombie thread Mods...

Advertisement