Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landcruiser swb, Pathfinder or Discovery.

• 16-02-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I am in the process of buying a new wagon... Looking for advice from anyone that has any of the above. Going to spend 8-9k and I will be travelling about 650km per week.

What do people think the best buy would be?

Cheers RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Landcruiser from that bunch. No contest really. Discovery may be more comfortable and have a higher towing capacity but that's it. Have injector problem checked on the cruiser though before you hand over any hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

kay 9 wrote: »
    Landcruiser from that bunch. No contest really. Discovery may be more comfortable and have a higher towing capacity but that's it. Have injector problem checked on the cruiser though before you hand over any used earned cash.

Well il be in a postion to answer this I work in a garage where we do about no word of a lie 20 landrovers a week I. E rangerover and discovery il be up from singe the range rover changed from bmw they have turned into absolute dirt boxes and to say over the course of the last few years we have fitted new engines to both is putting it mildly.basiclly the disco and ranger over suffer the exact same problems and every job on the can cost 1000 euro a time.so where do I start with the problems ok let's start simple front suspension wishbones every year or so need doing. Also the rear top wishbones also. The whole rear suspension arms in fact need changing and this is all on fresh ones also.next we will go with the ride hight sensors at each wheel and then onto the suspension air compressor. Up that end of the car also is the electric handbrake control module that fails also and up beside that the the spare wheel winch all fail. There also prone to all the air pipes bursting and the intercooler pipes also fail. The chains that connect each camshaft also fail which in turn is why the engine is blowing in them all and bursting out through the crack case. Next they have a plastic transmission sump which warp with the heat and need doing.
    The list is endless if u want any more info just ask but I've so much experience around thsee I know them inside out.

But that's not to say all cars and jeeps don't have there faults of course they do some just moreso then others.

But yes the Landcruiser wins

As above, landcruiser all the way with the pathfinder a distant 2nd. Have a pajero myself and can't fault it. It's an automatic though due to my last one being a manual and eating flywheels. Tbh, I'd never buy a manual 4x4 again. Auto is better to tow, better off road too, better in traffic. Actually come to think of it it's better in every aspect. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

kay 9 wrote: »
    As above, landcruiser all the way with the pathfinder a distant 2nd. Have a pajero myself and can't fault it. It's an automatic though due to my last one being a manual and eating flywheels. Tbh, I'd never buy a manual 4x4 again. Auto is better to tow, better off road too, better in traffic. Actually come to think of it it's better in every aspect. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Depends on what you consider off roading. I'd go manual for serious off roading. Auto for driving on sand maybe and around the city.

Landcruiser sets the benchmark really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Landcruiser ftw, i would prefer a manual although hard to go back to a manual when you get used of the granny box.

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »
    Depends on what you consider off roading. I'd go manual for serious off roading. Auto for driving on sand maybe and around the city.

Landcruiser sets the benchmark really.

I agree the manual has the edge in extreme off roading but my off roading consists of soft wet land at worst. Very few in Ireland do or experience where a manual & rear locker are advantageous. Still think the auto box is a better all rounder. My left leg ain't as tired anymore lol :p

Advertisement