Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lg G2

• 09-10-2013 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

thinking of getting this phone, sim free. The reviews on battery life alone is the main factor for me. Has any got this phone?
    questions are did you buy online in ireland/uk or has anyone found a way to buy one from India/elsewhere, etc. that will ship to ireland. i really think i will buy this phone except only the 16gb version is available here. Considering the lack of micro sd slot, the 32gb would be much more comfortable.
    i will probably end up buying it here though with expansys.ie (listed as 569e).
    final question: i will be going to southeast asia and australia for much of next year. if i buy the phone here will it work over there if i get a local sim.
    listed network specs are: Network: 4G: LTE / 3G: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz / GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

couldn't decipher a definitive answer on this from google so just wan to make sure.

many thanks for any info/advice anyone can give me.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

ok i have done some research and have come across a few non-irish sites for international delivery to ireland.

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/lg-g2-32gb-d802/MTEwMjg3Mw_A_A?utm_source=shopmania&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=direct_link

http://mobyshop.com.sg/new-phones/brands/lg/lg-g2.html

I would just be a lot happier with the 32gb version which isn't available over here.

So if anyone has any input or knowledge of these websites as options to buy the Lg G2 32gb i would highly appreciate it.
    i will be buying in the next day or so, just need some outside opinions.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

I think amazon germany has 32gb black one for around €600 and simplyelectronics has it as well fot €539 but i haven't bought anything from them yet. http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23150

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

I ordered a 16gb g2 through expansys uk (there was no option of a 32gb)

But I got a bit of a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Does this have stock android, or have LG there own customisation on top, like HTC Sense??

Gryzor wrote: »
    Does this have stock android, or have LG there own customisation on top, like HTC Sense??

LG have their own skin but IMHO its much closer to stock android than touchwiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 neil81

Any of the Irish networks going to take on the lg g2 looks a nice phone, strange they don't seem to be offering it on contract

neil81 wrote: »
    Any of the Irish networks going to take on the lg g2 looks a nice phone, strange they don't seem to be offering it on contract

Apparently no, LG pulled out of the Irish market a year ago and their products are no longer available to buy in bricks and mortar shops in Ireland.

I got mine online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

thomasj wrote: »
    Apparently no, LG pulled out of the Irish market a year ago and their products are no longer available to buy in bricks and mortar shops in Ireland.

I got mine online.
    One exception to that is the LG gpad which Harvey Norman will be stocking by the end of the month.
    I know it's a small bit off topic but it looks like a sexy 8inch tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

This phone can be got for 460 on Amazon, seems to be a good bit better than the nexus 5, much improved battery and camera.
    Half tempted, anyone got the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Beware of reviews, there was talk at launch that LG were 'encouraging' websites and journalists to write positive reviews with rewards for glowing reviews.

I've heard it has serious bloatware on top of android with LG feeling the need to copy every customisation the competition offer regardless of whether needed or not.

The camera and battery are meant to be very good but think I'll stick with stock android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

I'm thinking of buying this phone...Are the reviews true or should i look at something else....Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Beware of reviews, there was talk at launch that LG were 'encouraging' websites and journalists to write positive reviews with rewards for glowing reviews.

I've heard it has serious bloatware on top of android with LG feeling the need to copy every customisation the competition offer regardless of whether needed or not.

The camera and battery are meant to be very good but think I'll stick with stock android.

I've had it since launch about 2 months now. I read every single review going and I can honestly they we're for the most part accurate.
    Very happy with it, best phone I've ever had in fact. I like the UI and find most of the extra features really useful. I don't get the whole giving out about bloatware because you can just uninstall whatever you want and if there is a feature you don't like you can just disable it?

I have a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and to be honest I actually find stock a bit bare. I have to install 3rd party apps to bring it up to the same level of functionality as my LG G2. By functionality I mean stuff like scanning for your face to keep the screen on and giving you a customisable list of apps when you plug head phones in just to name a couple. Like I said you can get stuff like this in stock android via 3rd party apps but it isn't as seamless when it isn't baked in, in fact I find it cheapens the look and feel when you have to use a 3rd party app.

Anyway I digress, for me the LG G2 is an all round winner. Great battery, camera, performance and highlight is the stunning screen. Only negative is the greasy plastic back but I've put it in a case so no matter.

Any questions let me know?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

I've had it since launch about 2 months now. I read every single review going and I can honestly they we're for the most part accurate.
    Very happy with it, best phone I've ever had in fact. I like the UI and find most of the extra features really useful. I don't get the whole giving out about bloatware because you can just uninstall whatever you want and if there is a feature you don't like you can just disable it?

I have a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and to be honest I actually find stock a bit bare. I have to install 3rd party apps to bring it up to the same level of functionality as my LG G2. By functionality I mean stuff like scanning for your face to keep the screen on and giving you a customisable list of apps when you plug head phones in just to name a couple. Like I said you can get stuff like this in stock android via 3rd party apps but it isn't as seamless when it isn't baked in, in fact I find it cheapens the look and feel when you have to use a 3rd party app.

Anyway I digress, for me the LG G2 is an all round winner. Great battery, camera, performance and highlight is the stunning screen. Only negative is the greasy plastic back but I've put it in a case so no matter.

Any questions let me know?
    Bought a 16gb one yesterday for £359...I heard that there's only 10gb left for user?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

MJ434 wrote: »
    Bought a 16gb one yesterday for £359...I heard that there's only 10gb left for user?

Yup 10.62GB, not great but enough for me.

Managed to get myself one for 450 online. Looks to be a great phone, beats the nexus 5 hands down. Should have it next week, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 young_ireland

Can you buy it unlocked from England and then use it on an Irish network even though its unavailable in Irish stores?

Can you buy it unlocked from England and then use it on an Irish network even though its unavailable in Irish stores?

Yes, the unlocked version can be got on Amazon.

Today's my first full day with this phone so will review it at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Bought mine for €450 unlocked from Amazon last week, I have it since Saturday and I'm delighted with it. I was going to buy the nexus 5 but I got frustrated trying to jump through hoops for google.

The first thing I will say is that the screen is fantastic and I still can't believe how long the battery is lasting.

I bought a Spigen Slim Armor case which I definitely recommend and I got the invisible defender screen protector, but this has scratched already it seems (from god knows what).

Great phone and I'd definitely recommend it. My colleague who owns the Nexus 4 was amazed at how lag free it was and how seamless it was to use, even for such a big phone.

Like notgill I decided to get the G2 after being disappointed with the nexus 5, especially the camera and battery not to mention the jumping through hoops. I managed to get this phone on Amazon, delivered within a week for €450.

Firstly, I've only had this phone for a few days but already I'm loving it. The screen is unbelievable, at 5.2 inches it really has to be seen to be believed. Despite the big screen the phone feels nice in the hand, it's no bigger than the HTC one, the thin bezels allow for the large screen. I haven't tested the camera too much so far but the early shots look promising, coming from a nexus 4 there really isn't a comparison.

The phone is unique in that it has buttons on the back of the phone, volume and power button are on the back, weird at first but doesn't take long to get used to at all.
    The UI is where the phone is slightly let down. There's a slight taste of touchwiz, although I find navigating the menus a slightly better experience. The drop down notification bar is a bit of a mess. Thankfully most of these can be customised. The phone seems lag free so far, everything zips along rapidly and it's definitely the fastest phone I've ever used.

The phone runs Android 4.2.2 and I cannot see this being updated in the near future. Also AFAIK this cannot be got in Ireland and must be got through online retailers. The battery seems excellent, 3000 mh makes the phone a powerhouse. Yesterday I left it on 100% brightness at work and when I finished work I had 65% battery remaining despite heavy usage, compare to 20% on the nexus 4. This battery could really last 3 days on light usage.

This phone is definitely a beast, probably the most impressive phone on paper spec wise Without the hefty price tag of some top end phones. If you can look past the slightly congested UI, and if speed, camera, screen and battery are important to you then this phone should be strongly considered.

• Advertisement

This is a pretty good review of the G2

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Zentoad

Does the LG G2 support FM Radio. I heard that the EUropean versions of the phone had this.

//Joe

Zentoad wrote: »
    Does the LG G2 support FM Radio. I heard that the EUropean versions of the phone had this.

//Joe

Yes they work perfectly fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Lg d802. Is that the lre version for Ireland? Ireland is 800 900 and 1900 so it should be OK right? Or is there a better version? Where is cheapest to buy a g2? Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neil81

The cheapest one i seen overall for a 32gb was one on ebay for 382 stg that would be posted from england, there are cheaper ones but they are outside the EU and there would be customs fees

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111217731990?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3814wt_1170

16gb might not have enough space in the long run, anybody know of any cheaper ones?

Thanks

Like notgill I decided to get the G2 after being disappointed with the nexus 5, especially the camera and battery not to mention the jumping through hoops. I managed to get this phone on Amazon, delivered within a week for €450.

Firstly, I've only had this phone for a few days but already I'm loving it. The screen is unbelievable, at 5.2 inches it really has to be seen to be believed. Despite the big screen the phone feels nice in the hand, it's no bigger than the HTC one, the thin bezels allow for the large screen. I haven't tested the camera too much so far but the early shots look promising, coming from a nexus 4 there really isn't a comparison.

The phone is unique in that it has buttons on the back of the phone, volume and power button are on the back, weird at first but doesn't take long to get used to at all.
    The UI is where the phone is slightly let down. There's a slight taste of touchwiz, although I find navigating the menus a slightly better experience. The drop down notification bar is a bit of a mess. Thankfully most of these can be customised. The phone seems lag free so far, everything zips along rapidly and it's definitely the fastest phone I've ever used.

The phone runs Android 4.2.2 and I cannot see this being updated in the near future. Also AFAIK this cannot be got in Ireland and must be got through online retailers. The battery seems excellent, 3000 mh makes the phone a powerhouse. Yesterday I left it on 100% brightness at work and when I finished work I had 65% battery remaining despite heavy usage, compare to 20% on the nexus 4. This battery could really last 3 days on light usage.

This phone is definitely a beast, probably the most impressive phone on paper spec wise Without the hefty price tag of some top end phones. If you can look past the slightly congested UI, and if speed, camera, screen and battery are important to you then this phone should be strongly considered.

4.4 kitkat is starting to be rolled out to the G2 by the end of the month

Don't forget the double tap to turn on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AD_1988

LINKY.V.18 wrote: »
    thinking of getting this phone, sim free. The reviews on battery life alone is the main factor for me. Has any got this phone?
    questions are did you buy online in ireland/uk or has anyone found a way to buy one from India/elsewhere, etc. that will ship to ireland. i really think i will buy this phone except only the 16gb version is available here. Considering the lack of micro sd slot, the 32gb would be much more comfortable.
    i will probably end up buying it here though with expansys.ie (listed as 569e).
    final question: i will be going to southeast asia and australia for much of next year. if i buy the phone here will it work over there if i get a local sim.
    listed network specs are: Network: 4G: LTE / 3G: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz / GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

couldn't decipher a definitive answer on this from google so just wan to make sure.

many thanks for any info/advice anyone can give me.

Cheers guys.

This is to all those who want to buy an LG G2.

The cheapest new LG G2 I could find was on eglobalcentral.eu. The 16GB version costs €359.99 and the 32GB version costs €404.99 + Delivery is free to Ireland!!

Just click on this link for the 32GB version
    http://eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g2-d802-4g-lte-32gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

and this link for the 16GB version
    http://eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g2-d802-4g-lte-16gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

They are based in Hong Kong ,don't forget to add vat + duty+ shipping agency admin charges .

Yeah, I wouldn't order this Phone from outside the EU, too much hassle with customs, delivery times, fakes etc.

It's 400 euro on Amazon.co.UK, great price tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

@Alpha_Dog_1: Do you have a link to the amazon listing you bought your phone from?

I'm also interested on buying this phone. I really want to get the 32 GB in Black. On the 4th Jan I actually placed an order through Amazon, but the seller was one of the Amazon Marketplace sellers and not Amazon itself. Here's the link to the item listing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FQSE8FE/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
    The price was 449 pounds. The listing says the phone is not currently available.

However, the days and now weeks passed and I didn't get any status update on the phone. The original email I got from Amazon did say that it was expected to be delivered between Jan 21st and Feb 13. I thought that it was just Amazon playing safe and that it would be delivered sooner. But no, I just kept waiting... Anyway, so yesterday I contacted the seller through Amazon and they just said "oh yes, sorry for the delay, but we're still within the delivery timeframe"... so basically telling me to continue waiting. Also, I checked the seller profile and it said that they're based in Oregon, US! That sounded a bit strange to me, especially because I thought I might need to pay custom charges, just like you would with these Hong Kong sellers. Anyway, I got cold feet and just cancelled the order with Amazon. My card never got charged, so I'm grand.

Co-incidentally, I saw that expansys will get the 32 GB version in a few days, but in WHITE! Anyway, thought some people here might want to know that:
    http://www.expansys.ie/lg-g2-32gb-white-255411/

I don't know, I'm thinking of buying from one of these Hong Kong sellers. If the worst thing that can happen is that you have to pay custom charges, well, that's not too bad, because it would just make the price of the phone similar to what you'd pay for with Amazon or Expansys. Or are there more risks than this?

Advertisement