Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal Insulation

• 07-02-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I'm looking to get one room done, which has three external walls and looking for some tips from anyone who knows.

I assume the radiator will have to be moved out, as well as sockets. Would they generally be done by someone putting in the insulation? Also we need to have wide window frames so that the insulation can cover the casing(is that the right word).

Would anyone have an approx cost? Or anything else to look out for? Is it a job for a newbie, or should I get someone in?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ritchi wrote: »
    I'm looking to get one room done, which has three external walls and looking for some tips from anyone who knows.

I assume the radiator will have to be moved out, as well as sockets. Would they generally be done by someone putting in the insulation? Also we need to have wide window frames so that the insulation can cover the casing(is that the right word).

Would anyone have an approx cost? Or anything else to look out for? Is it a job for a newbie, or should I get someone in?

Job for a plumber and electrician.

Plumber will need to extend/fit piping to fit radiator back on 50mm insulated slab.

Sparks may need to extend or rewire for sockets,if you have no slack cable for the socket plates to come out by 50mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

It's not a serious big job infairness you could prob do it yourself if your anyway handy. But pay lads for what you expect them to do and only let them do what there suppose to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

We did the same a few years ago. The key is that you are hiring plasterers to fit the boards and skim over it.
    You do not want to pay them for doing all the prep work. So when getting quotes explain to them that you will....
    Remove skirting.
    Remove window sill
    Remove electric switches/outlet points
    Remove radiator and bracket from wall.
    Put cardboard down on floor.
    Remove furniture from room.

The plasterer then knows that he will not need to do all this and can give you the best quote.
    NOw, the question becomes - are you comfortable doing the above. In my case I was (just about), but I got lucky because I found that on removing the radiator there was some slack in the pipes so I was able to simply move them in to the new position by extending the hole/slot in the floor boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Thanks guys.

Any examples of the type of insulation that should be put in? So I can try cost it myself before getting a quote from someone willing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

XtraTherm or kingspan
    http://www.xtratherm.com/products/thin-r/xt-tl-mf-thermal-liner-mech-fix

Give your supplier the room dimensions and they should give you a price to include, boards, adhesive and mechanical fixing.

• Advertisement

That's it an insulated slab is what you want.
    Remember more insulation better the job. In my eyes anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

That's it an insulated slab is what you want.
    Remember more insulation better the job. In my eyes anyway

More the better?? What's your thoughts on dew point?

Johny 8 wrote: »
    More the better?? What's your thoughts on dew point?

Even though I'm not an expert on dew point ill try ans this anyway.

I do know it depends on what type if wall it's be applied to as a solid wall you can end up bring dew point into the room that's why a vapour barrier is used now if there is already a cavity wall insulation the dew point should stay in the wall that's also why a vapour barrier should be used. So whatever the thickness of insulation tour change the location within the wall of dew point.

If the wall been covered does tends to get moisture on it as is then internal insulation might not be the ans.

What's your opinion on it.

Advertisement