Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are violent computer games harmless fun or a dangerous pastime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

H3llR4iser wrote: »

When I was a child, "Rambo" was the devil that made children into violent criminals, so draw your conclusions :)

It also inspired a young child who was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and when giving 4 months until his death, found himself constantly watching Rambo, and lived for a further 3 years.

He and his parents attested his additional live span to the attributes he drew from Rambo, and also being invited to meet Stallone, who actually spent alot of time with him in his final years. And he was invited as a special guest onto the set during the shooting for Rambo 2.

Was a pretty touching little documentary on the Rambo special edition DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

No I don't believe any link between video game violence and real life violence. It is just the go to boogeyman whenever someone unstable does something violent any link to gaming is given a lot of attention. Surveys say 63% of the US population play video games, it isn't surprising that some of them turn out to be violent.
    But I am convinced that the graphics in computer games are now so realistic that children can’t tell if they are computer generated or not
    That is really stupid and it makes me think that the scientists doing this study had a bias going in, makes me dubious about their whole conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Fifa causes aggression.

This. I've killed hookers to get my money back and blown up thousands of people with a bazooka in GTA, I've killed countless people by shoving a blade in their face in Assassins Creed but the game that actually makes me want to harm people is FIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How some people can do the whole 'video games rot your brain' act while they lie on the couch every evening glued to reality tv baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Before video games it was TV, before that it was books and "free thinkers", and before that it was either the drink or some random pagan god.

Can't be bad parenting, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've been popping pills and listening to repetitive music all my life thanks to Pacman...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I went looking for the study mentioned by the OP, but I could only find this Telegraph article, and no link to the study.

This is an old debate, which has roots in controversy over violence in comic books in 1950s USA.

One school of thought is that violent video games cause violent and aggressive behaviour. Whilst a correlation has been established between the two, causation has not been established.

The other school of thought is that video games either have no effect or have a minor beneficial effect as an ‘outlet’, like sports.

This article refers to a Brock University PhD candidate who found the same correlations of aggression in violent and non-violent video games, where both types of games were competitive and fast-paced.

I think that this pubmed article is a more balanced article. The authors question the relevance of these studies on correlations between video games and aggression. They mention that watching and engaging in sports and martial arts probably increase levels of aggression, but question whether this is a public health concern at all.

In my opinion, if you get a well balanced kid who played Manhunt, it's not going to have a significant negative impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Duggy747 wrote: »

Ground force: Vice city.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

davet82 wrote: »
    I'm a bit skeptical, i loved shoot'em ups as a kid (although with an 8bit console :pac: ) and it done me no harm... i think :)

Well theres arguments for and against.
    IMHO the scale of the argument is going to increase.
    The question is going to become more serious and relevant.
    Because of the high level and ever increasing simulated reality of the games.
    As well at the intensifying of the simulated violence.

So neither agree nor disagree.
    But see a storm gathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I would have replied earlier but I had to wash the blood off my hands.:rolleyes:
    Same old story, it comes down to responsibe parenting.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/01/15/video_games_make_good_kids/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The biggest and most comprehensive study into this was the Byron report funded by the British government. Some real research was done into the subject unlike the mickey mouse stuff reported by the OP. You never hear this report mentioned because it showed not connection between violence in kids and videogames. Actually it was mentioned a few times by the Daily Mail, they disagreed more than likely because it would have affected their scaremongering stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The biggest and most comprehensive study into this was the Byron report funded by the British government. Some real research was done into the subject unlike the mickey mouse stuff reported by the OP. You never hear this report mentioned because it showed not connection between violence in kids and videogames. Actually it was mentioned a few times by the Daily Mail, they disagreed more than likely because it would have affected their scaremongering stories.

We looked into all of the major studies in college (including the ones in The Mustard's post), and literally the only findings from all of them combined that was in any way notable was the fact that violent video games can prime aggressive responses - That is it.

I was particularly interested in the study and read up on a lot of extra materials at the time too, because my son plays a lot of games (he has asd and it's his 'interest').
    I had been hearing from everywhere that games could lead to aggressive behaviour - his principal even tried to convince me of this one day, his grandparents too, and random people.
    So I was really relieved by the lack of any concrete evidence out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If there's a problem with kids/teenagers not being able to tell the difference between reality/fantasy, I think that's what needs to be looked into. Not the media that alerts people towards the issue of someone with an unclear view on whether or not something they are doing as actual consequences.

From the article copied in the OP, I think that the way games have been designed may have a link towards agression, in the way the article describes it, but it's probably more likely to be driven by frustration. Games are designed now in such a way where your actions have a more immediate result and impact. If one is constantly involved with a medium that has such a quick turn around on success/reward I think one could end up conditioned to expect that.

People have to be responsible for their own perception. Whether it goes with reality or not. A parent can only tell their child/teenager to do/understand so much. At a point it's got to be the child/teenager that comes to question.

Perception can be warped by any medium, once there's enough exposure to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

And one month later...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

davet82 wrote: »
    super mario taught me to jump on peoples heads

I massacared tons of turtles in my youth because of that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

GTA 5 is still not out........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

there is no doubt about it. This guy in Connecticut, referred to as a nerd and a geek throughout his teenage years, decides to prove to everyone he is not, by turning his fantasy world of video-game-violence into reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Now there's a lad who would find a conspiracy in a cup of tea.

Sure blame it on the video games, that way you can keep your guns safe for the Apocalypse / Rapture / Dec21 or whatever rubbish ye're all into these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

......and what? Tell us what you know the cops haven't released yet?

Tell us what you know about the psychological thinking, supposed mental disability (Asperger) this guy had which lead him to have poor social interaction with people, the gun training his mother gave him, the large amounts of guns in the house, and the motive for shooting his mother, classrooms, and then himself.

Or, yeah, just say video games and let's move on. Lot more simpler than getting to the root of the problem.
    there is no doubt about it. This guy in Connecticut, referred to as a nerd and a geek throughout his teenage years, decides to prove to everyone he is not, by turning his fantasy world of video-game-violence into reality.

Or maybe he was sick of everyone calling him a geek and a nerd.

Both of you don't know jack shìt, so don't go spouting it like you've solved the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I did a psychology class about violence in video games a few years back, and it was interesting to look at. Studies were conducted where people's visceral responses to video games were monitored* (heart rate, sweat, etc) and games certainly had an impact on those. However, people responded more strongly to survival horror games (where you run away from threats rather than face them head on), and far far less to your typical GTA sandbox experience.

The point was also made that those with a predisposition to violence are more likely to pick up and enjoy violent games, and that simply playing the game isn't going to make a non-violent person a serial killer. If two hypothetical teenage boys who liked Battlefield 3 went out and gunned down 20 people, it wouldn't make the 2 things related. If not a violent game, they would have found other entertainment that appealed to them.

*Another interesting thing is that gaming is quite unique as a storytelling medium. It's much more immersive than books/tv/film because you have an active role. Yet people still have very strong reactions to passive media. It's only logical that they'll react as strongly if not more so to games. So, in my mind, the fact that heart-rate/sweat-rate increases during violent gameplay is a bit of a red herring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

~Lizard people? Mind control satellite? Flesh eating nanobot? Daily mail headline? People in the floor? Elephant in the room? bananas in pyjamas?

dont take my word for it Duggy. As far back as 2000, the FBI included playing violent video games in a list of behaviors associated with school shootings

link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think it is utterly correct, I often blame FIFA for me chasing a ball on a AstroTurf pitch at 9 o'clock on a Wednesday ..... All games should be banned I tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dont take my word for it Duggy. As far back as 2000, the FBI included playing violent video games in a list of behaviors associated with school shootings

link

D'you know what that says to me? That violent people play violent video games. Not that violent video games make violent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

link

The FBI only included it as a reason because to them it was an "unusual" link between several of these shootings. Newsflash ALOT of people play video games, they all probably watched similar things on tv, similar movies and read similar books, whats the big deal about games?
    Millions of people play violent games everyday and they arent out running around shooting up schools.
    How about coming to the conclusion that maybe he had other mental problems, a disagreement with his mother turned violent and he snapped, or a hundred other reasons instead of jumping on the bandwagon of "dem vidja gaemses are the devil"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No doubt about it?
    So before the police have done their job, fully investigated the facts and come to logical and probably correct reason this terrible tragedy occurred youve already made up your ignorant, small mind that of course it was video games that caused all this,
    Hmm where have i seen this before? http://kotaku.com/5968683/mob-blames-mass-effect-for-school-shooting-is-embarrassingly-wrong/gallery/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

link
    Wasn't Marilyn Manson blamed for columbine and a certain metal band back in the 80s were brought to court over someone killin themselves as apparently there was subliminal messages. It's all based on the individuals.games,music,movies and books are not to blame....psychos are....how many people had the desire to kill John Lennon after readin the book chapman did? Sadistic psychos have lived throughout centuries....I played the video game manhunt that is banned now andi never had the urge to throw a plastic bag over someone's head

The US Marine Corps licensed Doom II in 1996 to create Marine Doom in order to train soldiers. In 2002, the US Army released first-person shooter America's Army to recruit soldiers and prepare recruits for the battlefield

source

• Advertisement

Sirsok wrote: »
    Wasn't Marilyn Manson blamed for columbine and a certain metal band back in the 80s were brought to court over someone killin themselves as apparently there was subliminal messages. It's all based on the individuals.games,music,movies and books are not to blame....psychos are....how many people had the desire to kill John Lennon after readin the book chapman did? Sadistic psychos have lived throughout centuries....I played the video game manhunt that is banned now andi never had the urge to throw a plastic bag over someone's head

I think the band you mentioned was Judas Priest

Advertisement