Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The junk we eat that passes for bread.

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The whole of western culture has gone for style over substance including the food trade .We have generations today that have never known the taste of a lot of the foods that we knew in the fifties .I have had deja-vu recalls of tomatoes and apples and we simply hav'nt got food like that anymore .The decline was imperceptible over decades to many people and older people were blaming themselves at times but the food has been decreasing in quality for years with intensive production methods and wily and very clever marketing .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The Holy Grail of a decent 800g slice pan for less than a euro doesnt exist then?

I do love the home made style brown breads, such as McCambridges etc, unfortunately its usually gone (devoured) in one sitting!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I have never met anyone who doesnt love a fresh Brennans bread , I find this thread amazing ,
    Ok mcambridges and sour dough bread and stuff are nice but you need a white sliced for sambos and making your kitchen smell nice.
    Monday mornin go to Dunnes and get a Brennans pan.
    On topic : If you are looking for a white sliced for cheap , you wont get a good one , Id rather have ham and cheese with mayonaise without bread than a 99cent tesco white sliced sandwhich.
    Its like cardboard.
    How much does baking your own bread cost . Like for each pan how much would you spend on ingrediants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I do love the home made style brown breads, such as McCambridges etc, unfortunately its usually gone (devoured) in one sitting!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't classify McCambridges bread as being anything approaching home style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

cloptrop wrote: »
    I have never met anyone who doesnt love a fresh Brennans bread
    I don't particularly - and definitely not the white. Bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have never met anyone who doesnt love a fresh Brennans bread ,
    How much does baking your own bread cost . Like for each pan how much would you spend on ingrediants.

If you like commercial factory produced processed white bread, Brennans is one of the best brands.

I do eat it sometimes, but, like a bit of people here, I would consider it a very poor substitute for bread made by the traditional method, either at home or in a bakery.

As for the price, here is my estimation.

2kg of strong flour is about €2.
    a packet of 7 sachets of instant yeast is 99c.

This means that the ingredients for a 500g homemade loaf of bread is 57c.
    The electricity cost is hard to estimate accurately, but making an guess based on the calculator on the esb website, it seems to be about 20/30c.

If you buy the ingredients in bulk, they will be a lot cheaper and you can use the oven for multiple things at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Whats wrong with Brennans , todays best bread today , Im shocked

maybe so, but Pat the Baker is first with freshness. So fresh it's famous!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

huskerdu wrote: »
    As for the price, here is my estimation.

2kg of strong flour is about €2.
    a packet of 7 sachets of instant yeast is 99c.

This means that the ingredients for a 500g homemade loaf of bread is 57c.
    The electricity cost is hard to estimate accurately, but making an guess based on the calculator on the esb website, it seems to be about 20/30c.
    Electricity usage is actually very low .. the main usage is during baking which takes about 1 hour, but the element is only on for part of that time because of the thermostat. I attached an energy monitor to mine once and I seem to remember it only costing about 5c, certainly not as much as 20/30c anyway.

Alun wrote: »
    Electricity usage is actually very low .. the main usage is during baking which takes about 1 hour, but the element is only on for part of that time because of the thermostat. I attached an energy monitor to mine once and I seem to remember it only costing about 5c, certainly not as much as 20/30c anyway.

Interesting, thanks. I went with the estimate on the ebs website and I thought it seemed very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

So your looking at close to a euro to make the bread yourself and then at least a euro in manpower , like if you did an hours overtime and just bought a loaf of bread on your way home surely youd profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I bought a brown bread pan in Dunnes over the weekend,own brand. It was stale 15 minutes after opening it and tasted like paper. They do a own brand batch which I find better than the Brennans batch for 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I make bread a bit from scratch no machine. Soda bread mixture can be made in 5-10 minutes then just baked for 40 mins. Eg I made Guinness,apple and cheese version yesterday before work. Other breads like whites crusty loaf are a more time consuming Sunday type thing as it has to rise twice, etc. I haven't bought a loaf of bread in at least a year now though. Brennans etc are all full of rubbish and taste terrible in comparison to home made.

So your looking at close to a euro to make the bread yourself and then at least a euro in manpower , like if you did an hours overtime and just bought a loaf of bread on your way home surely youd profit.

I do it because I like doing it and the result is fantastic.
    The effort is minimal, and because I like doing it, it doesn't feel like work.

If you don't like baking, I am not trying to convince you to try it.
    If you don't like homemade bread, then, again, I am not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Sean's quarter brown soda bread. Ingredients: Wholemeal flour, buttermilk, Bicarbonate of soda, water, salt. Homemade in a bakery, bougt in a petrol station at a reasonable price. Goes off in about three days, not kept in a firdge or whatever. Really very nice indeed though.

Advertisement