Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

• 11-09-2011 1:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Cant believe this, in the 21st century, its like a scene from a sick movie.
    Some of the men could of been held as slaves for 15 Years:eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318
    Four men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of committing slavery offences in the raid at Greenacre travellers' site, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, on Sunday.
    The men, who are English, Polish and Romanian, were found in "filthy and cramped" conditions, police said.
    Detectives believe some may have been there for up to 15 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

You had me thinking there for a second that the BBC News report called them knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

iTS HARD TO BELIEVE IT COULD HAPPEN IN THIS DAY AND AGE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i just scanned through the link, i wonder did everyone on the site know of this slavery, and why did peoples families not miss them, there are a few nationalities on the slave list, unbeleivable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

before anyone gets pc on the op's wording they had slaves
    slaves up to 24 slaves for up to 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It seems a bit strange (as well as downright criminal) but then sometimes I think we don't know the half of what is going on at our own areas, as well as others (as in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Latchy wrote: »
    And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

The Garden of England is Kent not Hertfordshire. But that doesn't take away from this awful story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It is unbelievable to think it's going on for 15yrs. There has to be more to the story.
    I'm sure the media will make an Irish connection somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

orourkeda wrote: »
    iTS HARD TO BELIEVE IT COULD HAPPEN IN THIS DAY AND AGE

Not sure if caps lock by mistake or just very shocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

It's scandalous _ _ _!

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    It's scandalous _ _ _!

Pat ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Garden of England is Kent not Hertfordshire. But that doesn't take away from this awful story.
    Geograpical accuracy aside it can be wherever I wish it to be and yes , it is an awful story .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just when i thought the travellers couldnt commit worse crimes, they never stop surprising me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13909240

I knew that story sounded familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Let's not jump the gun and get all racist here. These people are a different ethnic group than us settled folk and simply have different traditions within their own culture. It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules.

Let's not jump the gun and get all racist here. These people are a different ethnic group than us settled folk and simply have different traditions within their own culture. It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules.

There is traditions - which is fair enough... but then there is slavery, which is a whole other thing altogether!
    ...And we should expect them to live by state rules if not European ones!

Biggins wrote: »
    There is traditions - which is fair enough... but then there is slavery, which is a whole other thing altogether!

*I know - I was just doing my impression of yer man from Pavee Point.* :D:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

If they've been living in the one spot for that amount of time, they are settled, and not really living up to their given name now, are they!?

It still cannot excuse what they have done, those who were against the eviction are hopefully eating their own words right now.

*I know - I was just doing my impression of yer man from Pavee Point.* :D:D:D

Pavee Point ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if it's a cultural thing? Maybe they've wanted Pulp Fiction too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nowherefar

Maybe they were keeping them to provide big game hunting to Tories. Where's van damme when you need him??

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Being held a slave by a <snip> family might not be too bad. No house or caravan cleaning anyway.
    Unless you're kept as a sex slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules. They can feck off home if they love their rules so much.

steve9859 wrote: »
    er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules. They can feck off home if they love their rules so much.

Where is home ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

from the link in the OP
    when we looked back since 2008 we were aware of 28 people who had made similar accusations
    and its only being investigated now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theyre not a different race

that 2nd word you use is debatable , people wouldnt do some of the things these stories tell us , sometimes their actions paint them more as rabid animals more than anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

steve9859 wrote: »
    er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules.

:confused: Last I heard; Leighton Buzzard, Befordshire was in england. I might be wrong though .....

Where is it said that these travellers are of Irish origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If they've been living in the one spot for that amount of time, they are settled, and not really living up to their given name now, are they!?

It still cannot excuse what they have done, those who were against the eviction are hopefully eating their own words right now.
    This is a different site to the one that's been in the news lately.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Pavee Point ? :confused:

The traveller advocacy group.

Advertisement