Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of fuel in Co.Wexford..Where's the cheapest/dearest fuel?

• 02-07-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is it just me or has the price of petrol and diesel been creeping up over the past week in Enniscorthy? A certain garage (won't name it YET) has had 3 increases in price in a week,it's gone from 132.9 to 137.9 in that time.Was in Waterford yesterday and petrol was 129.9 a litre. There was uproar before when it was claimed there was a cartel in the town regarding the prices garages charge,I'm beginning to think there's some kind of price fixing going on and the claims of a cartel mightn't be too far wrong!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Saw somewhere in waterford today with 128.9

Theres money being made somewhere. Whats happening is most stations have a system where they stay within a limit of another station, say station x might always be 1cent under y. So then its up to y to set prices, and x follows, no matter how much they pay in for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

OP, have you checked out www.pumps.ie?
    It's pretty good for comparing prices and seeing the trends of the prices going up and down.

http://www.pumps.ie/viewStatisticsByCounty.php?county=Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never heard of that site,thanks for link.They may extend the graph for Enniscorthy the way prices are rising.Maybe it's a covert operation to cut down on 'boy racers':D Make fuel so expensive they won't be able to afford to drive.Seriously though,I hate the way garages can set prices at will and still complain theres no profit in fuel.If a garage in Waterford can sell petrol at 128.9 and still make money how can local garages explain a price of 137.9 and higher,it all adds up when filling a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

i live in enniscorthy and work in gorey and the only place ill fill up in the apple green in frens, its 3c a liter cheaper then most places... as for price fixing in enniscorthy i dont think your to far wrong , i use to use the co-op as it was always cheaper then most places in town it now is the same as everyone else,(expect for mace the robbing ba****d's, need a gold card to get fuel there lol) wounder how that happened??, i smell cartel

Didn't want to name any one place but Mace has been mentioned now,they increase prices if theres a change in the weather.I try to avoid there if at all possible as a matter of principle.Tesco were to open a petrol station in town but all we have now is an empty shell on a half finished site.So much for competition in the town if all the places decide to charge the same.I knew one of the drivers that delivered fuel to garages,he stopped at Enniscorthy to fill tanks there and then went to New Ross-further to travel yet the prices down there were cheaper,odd? He was even puzzled and reckoned Enniscorthy had most expensive fuel in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The price of fuel in Enniscorthy is shocking... definitely one of the most expensive places in the county to buy fuel. Why this is the case I'd would like to know.

I bought fuel in Camolin last Thursday for 130.9 a litre knowing that it was about 134.9 in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

It was 1.37.9 in Mace today! I was on the red so had to go there as it was 10.30 but I would never normally give those thieves my custom.

One of the dearest places in the county is also one of the busiest,people fill up at mace cos it's handy.A mass exodus to Ferns or Clonroche for fuel might change their tune.Found dearer the other day- 141.9 in Kiltealy:eek: Makes Mace and Kavanaghs on Island Road seem like a bargain!! Rip off Ireland alive and well in Enniscorthy.

How in the name of Jaysus can a litre of petrol be 130.9 in Camolin and 137.9 in Enniscorthy?

I rarely fill in Enniscorthy... always make the effort to fill her up when I'm down around Clonroche, New Ross, Waterford or Wexford Town (Tesco).

If I were to go anywhere in Enniscorthy it'd be the Farmer's Co-op.

It's amazing,as soon as a rise in oil prices is so much as whispered,the garages in this town are raising their prices.No such hurry going the other way! The retailers in the town have had things good for so long they forget that people are now wanting value for money and are prepared to travel.Witness the crowds heading North for Christmas shopping.I'll be on the road today and definitely won't be filling up in Enniscorthy with the extortionate prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I rarely fill in Enniscorthy... always make the effort to fill her up when I'm down around Clonroche, New Ross, Waterford or Wexford Town (Tesco).

If I were to go anywhere in Enniscorthy it'd be the Farmer's Co-op.

100% agree, I'm the same. I only buy petrol in Enniscorthy if I'm really stuck. Enniscorthy petrol prices have been dearer than Ross, Waterford, Wexford & Camolin for years.

NEWSFLASH!!! The price of petrol in Mace has dropped to a mere 134.9,I got it down the country yesterday for 128.9,mentioned the price difference to the attendant and he nearly fainted.

I mentioned on another thread that Mace in Bellfield raised the price of petrol by 4c before it was officially announced in the Budget and proceeded to raise it by another 4c again after the Budget,greed is good as Gordon Gekko said in Wall Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I would love to see the local papers highlighting the price differences between different areas in the country, and even in the county in some cases. Simple research - You only have to look at www.pumps.ie to see how much cheaper petrol can be bought in other parts of the country. Why? Because we're being fooking screwed that's why :rolleyes:

From what I've seen Enniscorthy has the highest petrol/diesel prices in the county when compared to the 3 other towns.

I can go to Ferns or Clonroche and get my fuel significantly cheaper.

It makes no sense that fuel can be cheaper in small villages than in a comparatively large town.

Was in Waterford the other day-a litre of petrol is 137.9 across from W.I.T. It has hit 146.9 at Slaney Service Station here in town,how do they justify the high prices? A 9c per litre difference is crazy.
    A 4c rise in the budget magically turned into an 8 to 10c rise in Enniscorthy.

I am also confused as to why Petrol is dearer in Enniscorthy than Wexford, Waterford, Ferns & Clonroche. Its a pity but its why I go out of my way to avoid buying petrol in Enniscorthy.

It seems "Rip off Republic" is alive and well.

Was in New Ross yesterday,petrol prices have dropped there by between 2 and 5 cent a litre,saw it at the garage near the GAA pitch for 144.9c.In Enniscorthy it's still 152.9 at Kavanaghs, Island Road and the cheapest is 149.9-the usual story of quick to raise prices but not to drop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

zerks wrote: »
    Was in New Ross yesterday,petrol prices have dropped there by between 2 and 5 cent a litre,saw it at the garage near the GAA pitch for 144.9c.In Enniscorthy it's still 152.9 at Kavanaghs, Island Road and the cheapest is 149.9-the usual story of quick to raise prices but not to drop them.

Topaz? That's Donal Kelly's. I wouldnt go near the place, beware of them. there's a few stories going round town about him. I better not post it up here or i'll be in trouble! ha

Suffice to say there's a lot of people in New Ross (myself included) that won't go near the place.

Ledger wrote: »
    Topaz? That's Donal Kelly's. I wouldnt go near the place, beware of them. there's a few stories going round town about him. I better not post it up here or i'll be in trouble! ha

Suffice to say there's a lot of people in New Ross (myself included) that won't go near the place.

And in fairness there's an awful lot of people who would - it's a very busy spot and I doubt they can all be wrong! I pass there regularly and have often filled up with petrol and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »
    And in fairness there's an awful lot of people who would - it's a very busy spot and I doubt they can all be wrong! I pass there regularly and have often filled up with petrol and never had a problem.

I'm just saying there are also a lot that wouldn't, I have my reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

ok -I bought €20 in DK's and drove to Enniscorthy , - Ballycarney - Kiltealy - back to New Ross , and when I arrived in New Ross my tank was empty again .

I could'nt believe it went so fast .

Is there something I should know ?

ok -I bought €20 in DK's and drove to Enniscorthy , - Ballycarney - Kiltealy - back to New Ross , and when I arrived in New Ross my tank was empty again .

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Thanks Ledger -

Something I noticed at a lot of petrol stations at the price display , is that some have Diesel prices on top and others have Petrol prices on top.

I think some of them change it around too to confuse us

Have you done the exact same journey under identical conditions of speed, gear changes, weather etc, using less fuel from a different forecourt ?

Nice to see the forecourt owners in Enniscorthy haven't followed the trend of dropping prices:rolleyes:,they are between 5 and 10c per litre dearer than a lot of other towns.One of my colleagues is paying 146.9 per litre while the cheapest here in Enniscorthy is 151.9 at the Old Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its been a steady 149.9 in New Ross for the last 2 months now.

157.9 in the garage at the bottom of Bohreen Hill on Sat 4th June, compared to 148.9 in Clonroche.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    157.9 in the garage at the bottom of Bohreen Hill on Sat 4th June, compared to 148.9 in Clonroche.

The locals never buy petrol there for obvious reasons,prices are due to drop according to The AA but as usual rip off Enniscorthy will drag it's heels.

• Advertisement

I got petrol in Castlebridge for 146.9c/l on Tuesday. (Enniscorthy 152.9c/l)

Fuel prices in Enniscorthy are far too high. I buy fuel in Enniscorthy in extreme emergencies only, it make sense to shop outside the town.

Advertisement