Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

• 28-06-2010 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've spent the last week trying to decide whether or not to move from my iphone to an Android phone. Just when I finally made up my mind and was about to buy a HTC Desire, I came across the Galaxy S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98gIMNhILQ

The 8GB internal storage is a plus for me but I've heard Samsung are not great with supporting their phones over a long period.

Does anyone have one of these?
    Is there a huge difference between HTC sense (gimmick?) and the galaxy's interface?

Would it be worth spending the extra money or just saving it and going for the Desire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

I've spent the last week trying to decide whether or not to move from my iphone to an Android phone. Just when I finally made up my mind and was about to buy a HTC Desire, I came across the Galaxy S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98gIMNhILQ

The 8GB internal storage is a plus for me but I've heard Samsung are not great with supporting their phones over a long period.

Does anyone have one of these?
    Is there a huge difference between HTC sense (gimmick?) and the galaxy's interface?

Would it be worth spending the extra money or just saving it and going for the Desire?

Going by the demo vid the phone looks very slow compared to the Desire imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I thought I noticed that as well and on one other demo vid that I saw which kind of contradicts the reviews I've read that said it performs very well.

I know it is supposed to be better in the graphics department as it has a dedicated GPU on the chipset.

I saw one graphics benchmark here were it destroyed the desire and the nexus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUQP7CWyeQ&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: just noticed the desire's FR is locked at 30FPS so maybe destroyed is not the correct word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Does look a little slow in that clip... Samsung are sh!te at supporting their own phones with firmware updates but as this runs Android, who cares? :D

Looks interesting, I do like my Desire but the camera isn't great, very poor even compared to my old Tocco Ultra, if this has a similar quality cam I'll be keeping a eye on it.

HTC Sense can be replaced with Home apps and launchers (over stock Android) that look similar.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Does look a little slow in that clip... Samsung are sh!te at supporting their own phones with firmware updates but as this runs Android, who cares? :D

Looks interesting, I do like my Desire but the camera isn't great, very poor even compared to my old Tocco Ultra, if this has a similar quality cam I'll be keeping a eye on it.

HTC Sense can be replaced with Home apps and launchers (over stock Android) that look similar.

It supposedly has a better quality cam. 5mp as well but the sensors are supposed to be better. No flash though. 720p video recording.

Samsung said that they will have a 2.2 upgrade for it.

Ok.
    So I decided to go for this, ordered it last night. I'll post my opinions on it after a few days use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Don't suppose anyone's heard if any of the networks are going to launch this over the Summer, I asked Vodafone on their forum and they sound like they're not even aware of it.

A couple of weeks ago Samsung were talking about launching it in 110 countries simultaneously, and obviously want to get it across all carriers

Zagato wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone's heard if any of the networks are going to launch this over the Summer, I asked Vodafone on their forum and they sound like they're not even aware of it.

A couple of weeks ago Samsung were talking about launching it in 110 countries simultaneously, and obviously want to get it across all carriers

Not aware of any. I had to order mine sim free from expansys. I saw them on eBay for about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

These are lean times for me ordering a phone sim-free if it might come out on a network in a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Not aware of any. I had to order mine sim free from expansys. I saw them on eBay for about the same price.
    Seriously considering getting one myself. Looking forward to hearing what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Great screen and GPU, but no LED as well as the horrible Samsung skin and plasticky construction... personally I'd prefer a Dell Streak if I were forced to switch from my Nexus One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Had the opportunity to play with one of these while I was setting up Exchange ActiveSync for a friend. Have to say.. its beautiful.. And thats from a HTC Hero user running VillainROM 10 which is unbelievably smooth..

Im very very tempted..

Had the opportunity to play with one of these while I was setting up Exchange ActiveSync for a friend. Have to say.. its beautiful.. And thats from a HTC Hero user running VillainROM 10 which is unbelievably smooth..

Im very very tempted..
    There were one or two reports of lags on some review sites. Did you notice any at all when you were using it?

Mine arrived a few hours ago. I haven’t had time to mess with it that much other than spending a few minutes at lunch.
    Interface seems quite good. Haven’t noticed any lag though. I’ll have a better look this evening when I take the sim out of my iphone.

Deadly. Very jealous..
    Any chance you could see if your apple headphones with mic work on it?
    I have a set of the in ear ones for my iPod. It'd be amazing if the mic worked on the Galaxy S :)

mathew wrote: »
    Deadly. Very jealous..
    Any chance you could see if your apple headphones with mic work on it?
    I have a set of the in ear ones for my iPod. It'd be amazing if the mic worked on the Galaxy S :)

Yeah I'll test all that later. I have a set of seinheiser earphones made for the iphone with a mic and button that I've been using in the iphone since the apple set died. If they work, the apple set should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

There were one or two reports of lags on some review sites. Did you notice any at all when you were using it?

Nope, but then I only used it for less than 10 mins. I would suspect that the lags are noticeable only after continuous use..

Hold on, are we talking about VillainROM, or Galaxy S? :D

No lag on my VillainROM 10, and been using it for nearly 2 weeks.

Nope, but then I only used it for less than 10 mins. I would suspect that the lags are noticeable only after continuous use..

Hold on, are we talking about VillainROM, or Galaxy S? :D

No lag on my VillainROM 10, and been using it for nearly 2 weeks.
    I was talking about the Galaxy S.
    Ye, I'd suspect lags after continued use alright, but in theory a restart should solve that.

Ok so I've been using the device for a few hours.
    It looks like a slightly bigger iphone although it's thinner.

Setting up everything on the on the device itself was easy, email, importing contacts through gmail. I actually set gmail up as an exchange account in order to use its push functionality.

The problems started when I tried to connect it to my macbook.
    If refuses to recognise it as an external disc and keeps trying to use the modem no matter what I do in the settings.

I read on the android forums that you can get around this by turning on USB debugging but it didn't work for me.

I had to boot up the pc and am currently copying my music over from there. A bit annoying. I better find a solution to this as it will really piss me off if I have to keep moving to pc in order to put new music on it.

I'll post some pictures up tomorrow. Got delayed with

EDIT: Just an update on the connecting to a macbook/pc issue. I had a similar issue connecting to my pc in work this morning. I could see the drives on explorer but not access them. I didn't realise I had to go into the Notifications section of the phone to tell it to mount the drives. They work now. Hopefully this will work on the Mac as well.

Money on the way to the credit card to get one. Hopefully I'll be able to order it tonight.

Did you order from expansys? How long did delivery take?

Any work on those headphones w/mic?? :)

Money on the way to the credit card to get one. Hopefully I'll be able to order it tonight.

Did you order from expansys? How long did delivery take?

Any work on those headphones w/mic?? :)

Delivery from Expansys took less than 2 days.

I tried both Iphone headsets that I have. Unfortunately the play/pause button didn’t work. I didn’t try the mic but I’m assuming they didn’t either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rukkus

These appeared in CPW today. I tried to buy one on O2 PAYG but the guy in the shop said he couldn't sell it to me as the price wasn't in the system yet even though it listed the price on the website and in their mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

rukkus wrote: »
    These appeared in CPW today. I tried to buy one on O2 PAYG but the guy in the shop said he couldn't sell it to me as the price wasn't in the system yet even though it listed the price on the website and in their mag.

Any idea how much it is on contract?

Delivery from Expansys took less than 2 days.

I tried both Iphone headsets that I have. Unfortunately the play/pause button didn’t work. I didn’t try the mic but I’m assuming they didn’t either.
    Expansys are quick. Ordered at 0720, shiped by 830 :eek:
    Can't wait till Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Zagato wrote: »

3 should be stocking this phone. August launch I think.

bindybandy wrote: »
    Any idea how much it is on contract?
    Just poped in to CPW there to have a look at it.
    According to the sign beside it its:
    49 on O2
    49.99 on Vodafone and Meteor
    I presume those prices are 'from' and dependant on what price plan you're on etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Canaan Abundant Cougar

Hi Walkman,

Do you have any idea what date in August? With all the delivery problems with the HTC desire, I might just wait for the Galaxy S.

ambrose
    Walkman wrote: »
    3 should be stocking this phone. August launch I think.

Battery life isn't great.
    I've had to charge it 4 times in 2 days so far.
    Bear in mind I always charge when the battery drops below 50%.

I got some task managers to see if it helps.

Battery life isn't great.
    I've had to charge it 4 times in 2 days so far.
    Bear in mind I always charge when the battery drops below 50%.

I got some task managers to see if it helps.
    Is it getting very heavy use since its new tho? Or are you using it the same amount as your previous phone?
    Happy with everything else?

Is it getting very heavy use since its new tho? Or are you using it the same amount as your previous phone?
    Happy with everything else?

I'm probably using it a bit more than usual because I've been messing about with it.
    When I first ran into the issues attaching it to the mac I was annoyed but since then I've discovered that I can tell it to manually mount the sd card on the mac.

I also downloaded another media player (meridian) and between it and mypod for
    podcasts, I can control which app handles the pause button on the headset.

Also because it's Linux, there's a huge about of customisation that can be done on the interface.

• Advertisement

It was delevered at 10.. Cannot wait to get home to it!!! :D

Advertisement