Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

With the second and third films confirmed is it a possibility that they go down the "civil war" route. can set it up at the end of this one with the invasion then play out the registration in the upcoming individual films and have the epic battles between heroes in the next avengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Trippie wrote: »
    With the second and third films confirmed is it a possibility that they go down the "civil war" route. can set it up at the end of this one with the invasion then play out the registration in the upcoming individual films and have the epic battles between heroes in the next avengers

Spiderman played a pivotal role in civil war though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Spiderman played a pivotal role in civil war though.

ye but with relaunching him and having a cameo in this film it doesn't rule it out

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Trippie wrote: »
    ye but with relaunching him and having a cameo in this film it doesn't rule it out

He's owned by a different film studio, not a chance in hell he'll be in this or any other marvel film. Can't see them doing civil war on film, would be a very hard one to adapt anyway and besides the films are set in a world where most of the supes are fairly recently discovered/created(apart from Cap), civil war needs the supes to be a part of everyday life by the time it happens rather than something extraordinary within the unviverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

One thing the thor movie didnt show was how strong thor actually is, all his power moments were with his hammer. I mean how powerful is supposed to be? superman powerful? would a bullet pirece his skin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They might tackle "Infinity Gauntlet". That would be an epic Avengers movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One thing the thor movie didnt show was how strong thor actually is, all his power moments were with his hammer. I mean how powerful is supposed to be? superman powerful? would a bullet pirece his skin?

He's one of the only marvel heroes who can take Hulk in a straight fight, so I would say not far off Superman power (although arguably neither are as powerful as superman considering some of the stuff hes done in the comics/animated series). I doubt we'll ever see him at his full power in the movies though, Superman always seems much weaker in the films too, I guess they want them to seem a little more human in the movies so they make them a bit more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Even the Hulk is nowhere near as strong in the movie as he has been portrayed in various comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's one of the only marvel heroes who can take Hulk in a straight fight, so I would say not far off Superman power (although arguably neither are as powerful as superman considering some of the stuff hes done in the comics/animated series). I doubt we'll ever see him at his full power in the movies though, Superman always seems much weaker in the films too, I guess they want them to seem a little more human in the movies so they make them a bit more vulnerable.

I actually thought Superman has been protrayed at his most powerful in the movies

1.Flying into and lifting up the san andreas fault
    2.Pushing the moon
    3.Flying with the staue of liberty in his hands
    4.hurdling every nuclar bomb into the sun
    5.Lifting up that massive island
    6.Bullet in the eye ball

I actually thought Superman has been protrayed at his most powerful in the movies

2.Pushing the moon
    6.Bullet in the eye ball

spinning the entire world backwards through time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I think Mickeroo probably means when it comes to a fight, they haven't shown Superman's true potential. In Superman Returns, he doesn't swing a single punch, for instance. I wanna see him knock the shit out of someone tbh.

2.Pushing the moon
    6.Bullet in the eye ball
    Galvasean wrote: »
    spinning the entire world backwards through time

All fair points :D

But yeah as Nervous Wreck said I meant more in terms of ass kicking! THey never have him let rip in the movies, I'm hoping they'll remedy that with the new one!

I think Mickeroo probably means when it comes to a fight, they haven't shown Superman's true potential. In Superman Returns, he doesn't swing a single punch, for instance. I wanna see him knock the shit out of someone tbh.

Oh right. Yeah, he needs a super powered foe to fight. Earthlings are too puny to fight him properly. I recall an episode of the Justice League cartoon where Earth was being invaded by aliens and Superman got to 'cut loose' on their leader. said it was one of the few times he's ever fought at close to his full potential as every time he did it before "Someone got hurt". It was a badass side of Superman that you rarely see.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

That was Darkseid btw.

Oh right. Yeah, he needs a super powered foe to fight. Earthlings are too puny to fight him properly. I recall an episode of the Justice League cartoon where Earth was being invaded by aliens and Superman got to 'cut loose' on their leader. said it was one of the few times he's ever fought at close to his full potential as every time he did it before "Someone got hurt". It was a badass side of Superman that you rarely see.

Thats exactly the part I had in mind!

Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFsxSH8fUA

Apologies, I would embed but I think this is the third time I've posted this clip on here in various threads :P

Should have thrown a batarang.

Snigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But Iron Man not accepted into Avengers in I2 :confused:

He was as a consultant. Dont know what that means - but they seem to have found a use for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAMeryU-qYY

And here is what its like when Superman meets his match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But Iron Man not accepted into Avengers in I2 :confused:

that was a headfeck.

they knew the only way to get someone with his ego on the team, was to present him with the vista of someone else- someone he didnt get to pick - in the suit pretending to be him.

and it worked.

:)

on the sequels things i think the infinity gauntlet would be fantastic. with aliens already looking to be part of this universe already (and hell its what loki and thor already really are) thanos shouldnt be that hard a stretch.

just retcon him abit so ya dont have to do all that stuff about titan and his family (unless they wanna bring in starfox, but TBH captain marvel would be more appropriate)

it'd also give them the chance to stick in obscures characters that wont support a film as cannon fodder

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Should have thrown a batarang.

Snigger.

More than one way to skin a cat my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAMeryU-qYY

And here is what its like when Superman meets his match

They should make a new superman movie with doomsday as the villain. Would require a pretty spectacular budget to pull off right though.

it'd also give them the chance to stick in obscures characters that wont support a film as cannon fodder

The Transformer had a very successful Marvel comic run in the 80s. Throw em in too (along with Dr. Who)! :pac:

More than one way to skin a cat my friend ;)

We were talking about raw power and how that should be translated onto the silver screen. That video you posted is all part of the 'batman has a plan' thing, but it is not a cool fight. If you want more of that stuff, you can watch Oceans Eleven or some such.

What i want is Hulk VS. Superman on the silver screen.

Or Superman VS. Darkseid/Doomsday.

As great as it is to see Batman outwit villains, its nice to see a decent tussle too.

I just hope the avengers movie can supply this.

I'm holding out for Thor and Hulk to have a smack down. The world needs more DBZ style hyper powerful beings knocking lumps out of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

pljudge321 wrote: »
    They should make a new superman movie with doomsday as the villain. Would require a pretty spectacular budget to pull off right though.

Was thinking about the Avengers movie last night on the drive home.

Does anyone know how long it is? I dont see how JW is going to be able to fit in a decent enough story combined with enough action to make it work......

Can anyone see this film stacking up to the likes of the new Batman movies or to....i dont know....LOTR etc....i.e. the successful and (IMO) awesome action films of recent times.

Ill still go and probably enjoy the movie - i just wonder if the film is going to stack up.

Was thinking about the Avengers movie last night on the drive home.

Does anyone know how long it is? I dont see how JW is going to be able to fit in a decent enough story combined with enough action to make it work......

Can anyone see this film stacking up to the likes of the new Batman movies or to....i dont know....LOTR etc....i.e. the successful and (IMO) awesome action films of recent times.

Ill still go and probably enjoy the movie - i just wonder if the film is going to stack up.

I don't think it could ever have a better chance of being a good film than it does now, considering the talent involved and how well Marvel have built up the back stories for it.

I'm not going to compare it to LOTR or Batman either, its its own thing and is entirely different in tone to those movies.

Well i guess my question then is what are we expecting it to be as good as/better than?

IronMan? CA? Spiderman 1/2?

I agree it will never have a better chance - i guess im just wary of ensemble casts/multi character superhero films. We all remember the unpleasantness of Spiderman 3.

• Advertisement

Well i guess my question then is what are we expecting it to be as good as/better than?

IronMan? CA? Spiderman 1/2?

I agree it will never have a better chance - i guess im just wary of ensemble casts/multi character superhero films. We all remember the unpleasantness of Spiderman 3.

If its as good as either Spider-Man 2, CA, Iron Man or Thor I would be overjoyed to tell the truth. Since its Whedon at the helm, I reckon at best we could get something on par with Serenity in terms of quality, which would probably mean an instant classic, but I acknowledge thats a long shot. He's proven himself as someone who knows how to make a proper ensemble movie though so fingers crossed.

I don't think there's too much danger of a spider-man 3 scenario, Marvel weren't involved in that production and I don't think they would put pressure on Whedon the way Sony did with Raimi.

Advertisement