Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

swim, bike, run ... it'l be fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best with it - looks like I need to re-open the IM bucket list!

What is your bib #?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Anton Glamorous Repression

Give it socks and best of luck. Don't worry about bike cut off times, just remember to pace the two big climbs sensibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Enjoy tomorrow. This is definitely a race I'd like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck KQ. Hope they allow you keep those stabilisers on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

BTH wrote: »
    Hope they allow you keep those stabilisers on. :)

With the winds on the bike I needed them, what a savage course! :)

Ticked around in just under 12hrs, which I'm pretty happy with. Belted out the last 5k of the run to try and get under the 12... talk about going into the suffer zone.

Will put up a full report when I get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

kingQuez wrote: »
    Ticked around in just under 12hrs...

I don't think anyone can "tick around" that course in sub-12 - great result!

Get that report up....:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will put up a full report when I get a chance!

*taps foot*

*checks watch*

*taps foot*

:) i'll get to it, ive a few lines written but haven't gotten back to them yet.

Right, this has been half written since a few days after the race.. I'm just going to post it without further editing because it's already well overdue :) to summarize: this is a race for the bucketlist. If you want the long version.....

Here we go:

After registering for the race in Club La Santa I did the usual packing of bags, then tripple checking that they had everything that was needed. I went overboard with puncture repair kit this year; two tubes, gas cannisters, and a pump on my person for the cycle - and a spare tube + cannister and nutrition food in the bike special needs bag. Dropped the bike into transition at about 5pm friday. Chatted with some friendly pirates, and one amazing one who had just rented a bike an hour earlier as hers got broken in transit and the local mechanics weren't able to fix it for her. The show must go on eh?

The morning of the race was an early start alarm went at 4.30; the street was quiet until you got to transition, and then there was a lot of buzz with people milling about and checking things they'd already checked 10 times. I pumped up my bike wheels, clipped the shoes onto the bike and set them up with elastics, added my bike nutrition and garmin, and then joined the long queue for the toilets. It started to lash rain. Eventually pulled on my wetsuit and headed down to the beach. As soon as you walked onto the beach, it was still dark but you could see three boats with flashing lights in the sea, 1800 competitors starting toline up in the starting pen, and a few thousand spectators along the beach. The noise of the helicopter overhead set the mood :) I walked down to take a warmup swim, but just as I was getting in they were turning people back to join the start. I managed to duck my head and then had to get back out.

The swim is two loops of a 1900m course, with a turn after about 200m. I started towards the back of the pen as I'd scared myself silly watching the swim start video from other years. In retrospect I started too far back, but it's a long day and losing a couple of minutes now wasn't a massive concern. I didn't get battered like in frankfurt last year, although I spent most of the swim passing people and hanging back from swimmers who were having navigation issues and clumping together. I love the swim here, the water is so clear, andit was dead calm. The inward bound leg had a little current and took longer than the way out. Out of the water in good time, and it was up the beach to transition. Threw on a cycle jersey for the bike to avoid the usual angel-wingburns from a long spin in the sun, and got a few slaps of suncream from thevolunteers... A waterey slippery mess, I was out of the change tent and up tofind my bike. Quite a long run away.

Splash of water to knock the sand off my feet, socks on at the bike, and then ran the 100m before taking a flying mount (success!) and we were on the way. Out of Peurto del Carmen (PDC), I nearly skidded out at the first roundabout (it was wet and raining), and frightened the life out of a police man standing where my bike wanted to go. I worried during the first 10k about how many people i saw with punctures this early in the race, about how strong the wind was, about the fact it was wet and still raining, and all the time there was thatominous helicopter buzzing overhead.

Away we went and despite the roads not being closed, they effectively were - no active traffic on the road and all the sideroads had tailbacks of cars queueud up to be let on. Up the first few easy hills to get out to Yaiza on the left of the island. Onto El Golfo, the loop beside Yaiza that you do before turning forthe national park, and the leaders of the race were already cycling back on theother side of the road probably about 25k ahead of us in the race. Impressive, and the only time I'd see the race leaders that day :-)

I tried to keep power in check, but I'd been averaging my upper end of target power for the cycle and I started to back off.. I'd prefer to sit in the middle of target during this period before we hit any of the "real" hills. Suddenly we were back in Yaiza and turning off for the hill up through Timanfaya nationalpark, where the volcano and lava fields are. I really should have scoped out the El Golfo section of the course before race day; it was easy in the grand scheme of things, but quite windy and exposed, and not knowing what to expect meant my mind wandered at times. This was to be a theme for the day.

Lots of drafting going on during the cycle; At the race briefing they said they wouldn't enfore drafting on hills, but I was cautious and stayed back from other people that were in packs. Up the hill past the volcano and I passed a good few people; I'd ridden this section before and loved it, a nice gradual climb, exposed, on a very straight road you can see for miles. Its great. From the top its all downhill to club la santa, before turning right to head across to Famara where the road got hot and sandy. This was the start of the long climb of the day, from here it was a grind up to Teguise, and from there on to Haria in the north of the island. I had a bit of a sense of humour failure during this part of the cycle; I was hot, the wind dropped, and I wondered if I was going to melt. I backed off to the low end of target power just incase the day was to remain like this, and settled in for the long haul. A man decked out like a pirate (big pirate hat, baggy shorts, and a flag hanging off the back of a flagpole on his seatpost) passed me at points during the cycle which gavesome entertainment :)

The aid stations were roughly every 20k, and I'd been swopping all my bottles at each one. At the top of the climb at Haria this was to be a disaster.. they had a net for tossing old bottles about 200m back from each aid station, and after turning the corner I remembered this one was the special needs station - where there was no water on offer. Bugger. It was going to be the top of the next climb over at the Mirrador 10k away before I got another bottle of water.

The climb to the Mirrador del Rio wasn't as bad as the climb to Haria, possibly because I'd spent 5mins freewheeling down all the switchbacks to the town between the two hills. Nevertheless there were two people taking a sitdown break on the hill; clearly having had enough of cycling at that point. From the top of the Mirrador climb, at the very top of the island, it was 20k downhill with some side winds. I spotted one person in a ditch with medics assisting, and it reminded me that a strong gust at the wrong time could go horribly bad for you if you were travelling at speed. Mostly the gusty windshad hit me head on, or when climbing. I've no idea how the pros did this race with disc wheels!

When the downhill flattened out and we joined the main road, I was bored. It was hot again, and that dead zone where you're still far enough away from the finish of the bike that you're not happy. And it wasnt easy. They said from Mirrador back to PDC was easy. It's not, its a long drag :) Eventually you hit the turn for the worst section of the road (Nazareth) where you're shaken to the core for about 3k on a crusty little donkey track before rejoining a normal road. From there back to PDC there was almost no support - you were in the middle of nowhere, very few cyclists to be seen, no cars, and it was sticky hot. Eventually took a turn and hit another track, heading steep downhill, and knew we were on the home straight to PDC.. it was flying downhill and great fun. Spirits perked up a bit, and even though there was a short section of a few km into a strong headwind with gusts before dropping into PDC, I was happy. Cycling backtowards transition, into the town, the crowds built up and all my thoughts wereon the run. Dismounted, ran through the long transition and grabbed my T2 bag. Into the tent to get changed and I took my time putting on lots of suncream and swopping from a bike jersey to a regular tri top (I figured the run would be abit warm!).

The run is 3 laps. The first lap is a 20k loop, and the last two a 10k loop each. You run out from PDC towards the airport along the sea front, and compared to the quiet on the bike course its good to actually see people. My goal was to run the first 10k easy (30seconds slower than planned averagepace), then get steady (target race pace), and see if I had anything left forthe last 10k. I'd read this advice after dying at the end of IM Austria, and it worked a wonder in Frankfurt.. I finished strong in Germany, and actually felt I should have picked up the run pace earlier than I did in that race.

In Lanzarote I didn't manage to find anyone running steady to pace myself off during this entire run, people were already walking, or running at a pace that was going to have them blow up. It seemed to take a long time to get to the turn point at 10k, and the aid stations were further apart than at Frankfurt. There was some sponges, and early in the run there was ice, but outside of that the feast was not to be. Red bull with water, powerbar drink, and water were the beverages... and no coke! Orange segments were the one thing this year that got me looking forward to the stations, they were sweet and tasty, until they ran out.

The plan was to run the full race, but walk every aid station, which I did. At about 15k I got a horrible stitch directly under my left ribs.. and I didn't know what to do. It was very painful (couldnt breathe fully), so I ran slowly to the next aid station and jammed my fingers into it as I walked through to massage it. Utter agony, but coming out of the far side of the aid station I was able to pick up the pace to run again and there was no killer pain. Phew. It was too early in a marathon to be reduced to a walk.

On into town to collect the first wristband and its a wonderful feeling to realize you're 20k into the run. Pace was still steady, and heading out to the airport for the second loop I had to keep myself in check and not run too fast. At the turning point I was feeling good, but hot, so every aid station now involved dowsing myself with water and tossing ice into my pockets if I could get it. Now you start to notice all the people with more wrist bands than you and get a bit of envy. And then you see the walkers and ponder your own fate. There were lots of Irish out there offering encouragement, which was a hugehelp around now.

In to collect my second wristband and set out onto the third loop and I was feeling the "hill" out of the town. It's only small, but felt like a mountain in the sun heading onto the third lap. I started to fall off the pace badly now, demons of the first IM where I fell apart at 30k came back, and the fact that running this year involved almost 6months off made me pray my feet wouldhold it together and not strike. Pace dropped to 6'15/km. come on!

Arriving at the turning point with 5k to go I realized I was close to 12hrs for a finish, but it would require me to get from 6'15/km back to somewhere under 5min/km. At the pace I was going I wouldn't make it in under 12, and if I pickedup the pace and died, well, I was still going to be over 12hrs. So, nothing ventured nothing gained, time to suffer. Continuously increased the pace from the turn all the way back to the town, starting out steady and with about 3k to go just sitting in a flat out sprint and praying not to fall apart. I had serious tunnel vision, and kept checking my watch. Heavy breathing, it was like a 10k race. Hit the finish line under the 12hrs, got given my medal and I'd to sitdown for 10mins before moving. Turns out I averaged 4'23/km all the way backin for the last 5k.

This was an amazing race; I really enjoyed it, it was always going to be a challenge and despite being over an hour slower than Frankfurt (all on the bike - swim and run times were pretty much the same), it's one I'd do again. It's one I WILL do again, but not yet. There's nothing easy about it; heck even training for the thing involves doing all your long cycles during the Irish winter. I'm certain I can do a better IM time, especially if I'm willing to be less conservative in pacing and risk blowing up, but for now I'm content. I've had my quickest ever recovery from a race (was walking without pain a few days later), didn't get roasted in the sun (factor 50 p20 FTW), and ticked a race I wanted to do since I'd heard of it. There's still mega work to be done on the bike, but I was very happy with the run given the poor run training I'd gotten in this year in the run up to the race.

• Advertisement

Great report KQ, almost worth the wait! ;) That run was pretty phenomenal given the problems you'd had (since Frankfurt?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Excellent reading KingQuez. It gave a great sense of your frame of mind I'd be willing to bet there were a few expletives a miss in your report. Great finishing time. Lanza is one on my bucket list aswell but it'll be a ways down the road once fitness/endurance improves and just before old age kicks in.. Yikes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done KQ on a great race and a great report...congrats...I'd love to do that race some time!!

Nothing too big to report... picked up some runners for trails and have been out for a few adventures into the hills. I'm navigationally challenged and should avoid "taking a shortcut through this forrest". Heart feels like its going to explode at the start of these little jaunts.. I've no feel for how to pace on non-standard terrain. Really love it, especially when I've to walk because ive gone too hard and need to recover a bit, or the terrain is too technical for me. All a nice challenge.. need to do a bit more stability work during the week though, can feel it in the ankles and lower leg for a few days after being out.

Back in the pool twice a week, and been out for a couple of sea swims (jasus its freezing in this country), and the past week has even seen me on a turbo trainer twice.. not sure where the motivation for *that* has come from :D

Swimming was a bit of a disaster this week, tired from increase in cycling intensity and I did my first run intervals in nearly a year the other evening (it wasn't pretty). Need to get a bit of consistency going with this training thing. I got a tp quadballer to see if it helps sort out tight/stiff calfs (just cant seem to losen them with stretching or using the grid roller), it just arrived thismorning, I'm not going to be able to walk for a week once I use it I recon :D

Still not really doing a whole lot of training, half assed swim effort in the pool, haven't been in the OW in the last two weeks, easy cycling and one decent run at the weekend. Quadballer is deadly, killing a lot of knots and tightness that a normal roller just didn't get to. "Racing" this weekend, i need to find the tri bars to put back on my bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kilkee?

Yup, looking forward to it.. only done it once before. Olympic distance race is going to be.... interesting :D

Brilliant fun this weekend.. Hard swim, but I love swimming in the sea when its choppy like that, tough windy cycle (and like others got a bit annoyed as peletons went past me), and despite not doing much fast running this year was pleasantly surprised to break 40mins on an unforgiving run course. Still cant get over the sponsorship that LTC drum up to support putting a goodie bag like that together either. Brilliantly organized event.

Is that what passes for a race report around here?!

• Advertisement

Is that what passes for a race report around here?!

Yep, its in line with what counts as training these days too :)
    Alarm went off this morning and I'd no choice but to hit "off" and go back to bed for a few more hours.

Frank duffy 10 mile run in the park yesterday, I haven't done a running race in years, and the only other time I did 10 miles was this race back in 2008. In terms of training, I've been doing a little bit of running but nothing too crazy, have backed off cycling other than the occasional spin to work, and swimming has been dropped to twice a week because I can probably maintain current fitness on two sessions, but not one :)

I was in the pool on friday night and the main set of 200s coming in on 3'00 were a bit of an effort. Since Lanzarote I'm finding it hard to make myself suffer, and am only really doing things for general enjoyment. I've no more triathlon races this year, so feeling like an impostor in the training sessions. I had it in my mind that I could probably hit 1'05 in the run up to the race, but being tired this week wasn't sure it would happen, especially knowing the hills kick in with 3miles to go. I wasn't sure after a few years of 10ks how I'd fare at pacing 10 miles.

So, race morning: Queued forever for the toilets, and got into the starting pen with 2minutes to go to race start. Warmup was the run from the baggage area up to the race start, where I jumped in behind the ~10m packed section at the very front. Lots of running club singlets around me, but with a bit of space to move, so I figured I was in an OK spot.

Garmin didn't pick up any satelites, so I ran the 10mile by feel and worked out the pace as I went past the mile markers. Spent the length of chesterfield avenue trying to get past people (seriously--I dont know how 10metres of people turned into that sized group after the race started), I guess I started too far back?

At the 3mile mark I worked out the pace was averaging 6'15, faster than planned but didn't feel too bad once I stopped myself from "pushing". I was mindful of the last 3miles, so figured why not sit at this pace and see how we get on. I always undercook races, so lets take the risk of blowing up and see what happens. Continued to pick off people from here for the rest of the race, I dont think anyone passed me. It was very spread out compared to my memory of the huge crowds the last time I did the race, and when we got back to chesterfield avenue after the loop on the right hand side of the park, I could see the pointy end of things strung out--there was heavy breathing, and big gaps between runners. When we got to 7miles, the point where you start to loop around the left side of the park, the average pace was at 6'05. Now what to do--sub 60 is in sight, but those blasted hills are coming?? Right, let's stay steady for 1.5miles if we can, and then go all out and hope.

Up the first hill and legs didn't give out, so when we got to the next one I started to pick up the pace. As I passed the 9mile marker I saw I needed a fast mile to break the hour. With about 800m to go my legs were not happy with me, but then I could see the finish line. As I got closer I could see we were still under the hour (but couldnt read by how much), but as the clock came into sight it ticked over. I knew I was borderline for getting a chip time under the hour, so kicked again -- this is no time for being defeated. Crossed the line with two seconds to spare by my watch, and that was confirmed with the sms results a while later.

Best result this year ... I forgot how much fun running was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Savage time well done.

Smashing run KQ. I'll just remind you again who predicted you could run sub 60. :)

You definitely started way too far back, you passed me after the Aras roundabout. Should have been up in the first two rows or so. To say you're running sub 60 on no run specific training is phenomenal. Seriously, if you do marathon specific training over the next ten(?) weeks sub 2:55 might be a bit soft for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great run well done!!

Cheers guys, I really didn't expect to hit that, so am very happy with the result.. its another one of the nice round numbers ticked off. It wasn't a goal I'd even set for the year, but somehow feels like the best achievement for 2013! :D

I'm not setting any targets for DM yet RQ, once I get around under 3'30 it's going to be a PB so that's all I'm looking for if I get to the start in one piece! Plan with the bit of running is to just enjoy it and not (plan to) go chasing times for now. BTW--Did I hear talk of cake at the race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Anton Glamorous Repression

Good man KQ, i was on the corner with about 800mtrs to go and think i may have shouted to a group of you who were borderline on for the sub 60. I got a few grunts thrown back at me:)

Good man KQ, i was on the corner with about 800mtrs to go and think i may have shouted to a group of you who were borderline on for the sub 60. I got a few grunts thrown back at me:)

Thanks JB, I do remember seeing someone on a bike there--you?! cheers for the support :-)

Thanks JB, I do remember seeing someone on a bike there--you?! cheers for the support :-)

He was dressed like a Leprechaun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sweet run time :cool: Very impressive

Advertisement