Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pebble Dash exterior: Stones falling off

• 06-02-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an extension with a Pebble Dash exterior with stones embedded into a whiteish cement. Unfortunately some patches have appeared as the stones have fallen off over time.

I've kept these stones :D and would like to blend in these patches. Was thinking of some sort of (transparent) "glue" to stick them with. It wouldnt be a big job, but I've no idea of what product would be suitable for the job.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    W.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tec7 would do, its white though but probably better then clear silicone

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks,

I've seen it in the shops, though looking online it seems it does come in clear.

I'll see how it goes...

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

I don't know if Tec 7 would work or not. But it does come in clear, as well as white, black, grey and brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

What about some PVA water it down, I have built small walls mixing it into the concrete, the only way to move the wall after is in one lump, it would not separate into pieces, just an idea, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Tec would be your man , very labour intensive and Id prob steer clear of the PVA as it would be broken down being exposed to the elements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

For anybody that has used tec7....

Well my idea of doing this would be to put a large blob of the stuff out and then dab each stone into the blob and then strategically place said stone onto the wall. :-)

Does it go off quickly?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Roscommon John

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear of your dashing problems. Being a plasterer myself I know exactly what your deaing with. Stone loss happens when a dashing job is rushed and the plasterer dosn't bother to bed the stone in the render properly. After dashing you have to push the stones into the render gently with a float so they bed in. A lot of plasterers forget to do this and in time due to weathering the stones come loose and fall off.

There is no easy way to re- dash patches like this without it sticking out like a sore thumb. As mentioned above clear Tec-7 would probably be your easiest option because sand and cement would be too messy and would cause the patch to protrude over the existing stone.

Try this method :Brush down the area, to remove dust ect then apply the tec 7 into the area to be re-stoned. You will need enough tec 7 so the stones will sit at least half a stone deep into the Tec-7. Put down a sheet under the area to re-dash. Gather up the stone to be used in a bucket and get a coal shovel. As soon as the Tec 7 is applied one patch area at a time, hold the bucket under one arm and use the coal shovel to scoop out some stones about half a shovel full and flick the stone into the Tec-7 using a back handed flick motion, imagine back handing in tennis ball with a racket, same motion. Repeat until the area is re-dashed, get a wide float and gently push the stone into place when finished ,gather up the fallen stone from the sheet and add them back into the bucket to be used on your next patch.

I hope this was some help to you.

Advertisement