Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Storm 10 wrote: »
    deargas is your brother working in a branded petrol station or do they sell cheap diesel, as already said with a modern diesel engine with so much electronic parts fitted dont stray away for the saving of a few cents, as it will cost you big if anything goes wrong with the fuel system.

That's the thing. He works in a branded station with a good reputation. He said the owner would never be knowingly bring in anything like washed diesel. The do too much trade as it is and he knows how a bad name can shaft the business.

re: saving a few cents; Lesson Learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No offence guys but can we keep this thread on prices around Galway.
    If you want to discuss diesel difficulties there's Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Point taken Biko, but I stand by my original post. There's no use talking about the lowest price of fuel if the damned thing ends up ruining your engine because of inferior quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Unleaded 159.9 at Topaz yesterday.
    That's the highest I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheapest place in the city at the moment anyone?

Price of the stuff i'm afraid to fill up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Cheapest place in the city at the moment anyone?

Price of the stuff i'm afraid to fill up
    155.9 for daysul out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

snubbleste wrote: »
    Unleaded 159.9 at Topaz yesterday.
    That's the highest I've ever seen.

Topaz in Bohermore €161.9 this evening.

€159.9 at the Docks and €157.9 in Maxol in the westside.

This is for Unleaded Petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I filled up with diesel out the Headford Road on Saturday, can't think of the name, but the petrol station by the castle on the right, joined onto the exhaust place.

But diesel there was 149.9, cheapest I've seen by 6c per litre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Col200sx wrote: »
    I filled up with diesel out the Headford Road on Saturday, can't think of the name, but the petrol station by the castle on the right, joined onto the exhaust place.

I really wouldn't recommend getting diesel there but caveat emptor and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

161.9 In Texaco Oranmore this morning. Dearest I've seen so far.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I really wouldn't recommend getting diesel there but caveat emptor and all that.

I'm not one to fill up in places that are said to be dodgy, are they considered to be?

If so I'll avoid in future.

I'm not one to fill up in places that are said to be dodgy, are they considered to be?

If so I'll avoid in future.
    Previous management and there's a general history of the place with the Revenue.

Previous management and there's a general history of the place with the Revenue.

Cheers for that Robbo, hadn't realised.

I won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

my mate cars is in u Rescu Towing place on headford rd after filling up at cheap station by the castle and say going to cost him lot ... not frist time been told stay away from there

extraice wrote: »
    my mate cars is in u Rescu Towing place on headford rd after filling up at cheap station by the castle and say going to cost him lot ... not frist time been told stay away from there

That's not good.

I put €40 in, so on way home I'll fill up the rest in a reputable garage so it at least dilutes whatever potentially dodgy fuel, if any, went in.

How can the place be still open if it's selling dodgy fuel? Especially if it's common knowledge to the public and the authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please stay away from implying that a certain garage is currently dodgy.
    It's a free market, use another garage if that feels safer.

This thread is about local prices, let's stick to that.

biko wrote: »
    Please stay away from implying that a certain garage is currently dodgy.
    It's a free market, use another garage if that feels safer.

This thread is about local prices, let's stick to that.

Fair enough. But I wasn't implying anything, it was suggested to me in previous posts that it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

161.9c for petrol now in Arch Motors. Holy fock!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

161.9c for petrol now in Arch Motors. Holy fock!
    Passed a few Topaz garages around town to-day, all have unleaded at €161.9, as is the garage at the docks.

Think Maxol at the Westside is still a few cents cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Diesel was 153.9 at Corrib Oil, Tuam Rd today (21/02/2012)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

what is going on with petrol station in gort on the ennis road are they not selling fuel any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Just a bit of advice.

I have recently reported a certain petrol station in Claregalway to the authorities because:

I put exactly 10 ltrs of petrol in my tank.
    Price on pump, and on board outside was 161.8 per ltr.
    "This Sale" shown on pump: 16.78 euro.

I refused to pay that amount, told the lad manning pumps that I would be quite happy to make a call to the Gardia, he couldn't reach his boss so finally accepted my 16.18 euro, after I used the calculator in his hut to prove my figures.

The moral of this is just put 10 ltrs in at a time because it's easy to see if the pumps are working correctly. (Just move the decimal point one place to the left on the listed price).

Forgot to add that I took 'photos of the pump and board. so I do have proof positive of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Just a bit of advice.

The moral of this is just put 10 ltrs in at a time because it's easy to see if the pumps are working correctly. (Just move the decimal point one place to the left on the listed price).

Very good advice, I always only fill up to a round litre. 10 or 20 litres. Its easier to see the difference in garage to garage too, if there is any. I predict Petrol will be at 2 euro by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

wes31 wrote: »
    what is going on with petrol station in gort on the ennis road are they not selling fuel any more.

Are you talking about the one that used to sell cheap petrol and diesel which is not far from the Lady Gregory hotel? If you are, then that place got shut down because AFAIK it was selling illegal fuel. I did get petrol there a couple of times but it wasn't clean petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Petrol in the topaz in kilcolgan is 163.9!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Topaz at the the Bodkin roundabout is 163.9 too today. Not a bloody chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

155.9 for diesel in Jones oil in the wesht

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topaz Newcastle unleaded 163.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

I've been filling there regularly and a few weeks back my emissions symbol on the car flagged up the car wouldn't start for a while after,I think you could have something here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Ended up in the red today and had to get petrol here after all
    Topaz at the the Bodkin roundabout is 163.9 too today. Not a bloody chance!

So after reading someones post in here about being overcharged I stopped at 10 litres purely out of curiously and it cost 16.41.

In fairness it's only 2 tenths of a cent over but out of principle I told yerman behind the register when I was paying. Got the reply 'yeah what do you want me to do about it?'. Nice sh*t! After handing over 50 quid and that's the attitude, never again!

I didn't see the price below 163.9 anywhere until I got to Clare again.

Advertisement