Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

tus.maith wrote: »
    County Board definitely carrying all the risk.

WLRfm reported this morning that the County Board are facing up to a €50,000 loss for the weekend, but that County Secretary Timmy O'Keeffe hopes that the loss is The County Board in 2011 made a loss of €120,000 and to add this figure to it is a huge blow. I know we live in difficult times, but since Tom Cunningham took over as Chairman, things have from bad to worse under his Chairmanship. There just seems to be one thing after another, if its not money matters, its something he says or does etc. As Chairman, the buck for everything stops with him, and maybe sooner rather than later, maybe Tom should stand down and let someone else take over to try and oversee the mess that we are in right now. And just to say, the next Chairman, or even Chairperson should not really come from promotion within the current group as we have seen since God was a boy in this county. Now is the time to bring in someone that has some real leadership qualities.

There is a County Board Meeting next Monday evening. Clubs I am almost certain will be told by one of the officers, most likely Tom Cunningham that they will have to help make up the short fall on this latest farse. Hopefully if they are, that the clubs will stand up and be counted and say that they are under enough of a finanacial strain themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Black Suir wrote: »
    WLRfm reported this morning that the County Board are facing up to a €50,000 loss for the weekend, but that County Secretary Timmy O'Keeffe hopes that the loss is The County Board in 2011 made a loss of €120,000 and to add this figure to it is a huge blow. I know we live in difficult times, but since Tom Cunningham took over as Chairman, things have from bad to worse under his Chairmanship. There just seems to be one thing after another, if its not money matters, its something he says or does etc. As Chairman, the buck for everything stops with him, and maybe sooner rather than later, maybe Tom should stand down and let someone else take over to try and oversee the mess that we are in right now. And just to say, the next Chairman, or even Chairperson should not really come from promotion within the current group as we have seen since God was a boy in this county. Now is the time to bring in someone that has some real leadership qualities.

There is a County Board Meeting next Monday evening. Clubs I am almost certain will be told by one of the officers, most likely Tom Cunningham that they will have to help make up the short fall on this latest farse. Hopefully if they are, that the clubs will stand up and be counted and say that they are under enough of a finanacial strain themselves.
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Black Suir wrote: »

were in deep sh*t something needs to be done. and done fast.

why wouldn't they get some good acts in to play, okay it might of cost a bit more money. but who knows it could turned out to be a great weekend.and they might have broke " even " or made a buck. we'll never know,as long as baboons are running our county board.

i mean jedward come like............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Does anyone know which terrace has been allocated to Waterford fans? I assume it would be the same as last year but I can't remember which terrace we had.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    is there anywhere in the city where you can buy stand tickets for the munster final. ??

Will there be a sale in Walsh Park.

The Tickets online are ****e and not worth buying

These places are selling tickets:

Centra Coolagh Service Station
    SuperValu Tramore - Quish's
    SuperValu Waterford - Caulfield's
    SuperValu Cappoquin - Kelleher's

Full list of Centras and SuperValus from the Munster GAA website:
    http://munster.gaa.ie/wp-content/themes/munster/uploads//Master-List-of-Outlets-by-County.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

With no Oxegen festival this year there was an ideal opportunity to somewhat fill this void, at least for people in the South-East, by staging a small festival (most likely a one day event) somewhere in Waterford and book some Indie/Rock bands.

However the County Board and their short-sightedness went for the brain-dead, mundane option of the High Kings (wouldn't sell out Crottys), Bressie (a poor lead singer of a very poor band, now on a mediocre mission to scrape a few music sales from horny schoolgirls) and Jedward (no comments needed). Had the County Board went away from the idea of creating a Fr. Ted-esque family day by booking Jedward and co. they would of been better off targeting and luring a certain genre (albeit on a smaller scale than larger festivals) of bands/punters to Waterford. Obviously, these people wouldn't necessarily have to be GAA people, they just need to spend their cash!

They only ever tried to publicise to event through GAA circles in the county and small scale advertisements on Beat. It appears they never realised Jedward played up in Tramore only a few weeks previous! If they opened their minds and moved away from their (somewhat backward) traditions they really could of scooped a nice sum of money. Now the clubs, as usual, will have to listen to good aul Tom Cunningham breed heavily into the microphone, peddling out the usual rubbish that "the clubs are the county board" (only when it friggin suits you Tom they are) and that some sort of bullsh*t levy will be imposed bla bla bla.

Time for a few heads to roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Heads absolutely need to start rolling. This is just the latest in a number of fiascos. Just off the top of my head during Cunningham's tenure:

(1) Financial situation. Bad and getting worse.

(2) Attempting to sell home advantage in the 2010 Munster final for €50k behind the Munster Council's backs.

(3) Rhythm Fest. He's saying they don't even know if they've broken even or lost money

(4) His total unprofessionalism with the Davy Fitz reappointment

Now these are just the public embarassments, I'm sure there is far more messing going on behind the scenes. Apparently the footballers had to fight to get their basic expenses. I was talking to a lad at the weekend who plays junior with his club, he'll not be togging out for another 8-9 weeks due to no fixtures being made.

As always, you've got to hold back on the criticism slightly as this guy is a volunteer, but it looks like we'd be far better off putting in full time sports administrators. It would be a worthwhile investment if it meant we weren't falling hundreds of thousands into debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Just one point on the article.

It first says €50,000 loss on gamble in the headline. Then in the article it says that bills are expected to be close to €50,000 and there were 2,200 souls at it. Now I assume those souls paid in, so even if it was a tenner each it's a good chunk of the €50,000 made up. And hopefully they sold a few pints at it too to make up some more.

But it's still an embarrassment. And a costly one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

blue note wrote: »

It first says €50,000 loss on gamble in the headline. Then in the article it says that bills are expected to be close to €50,000 and there were 2,200 souls at it. Now I assume those souls paid in, so even if it was a tenner each it's a good chunk of the €50,000 made up. And hopefully they sold a few pints at it too to make up some more.

But sure Cunningham is saying that they don't even know how they're fixed! They're trying to re-negotiate the fee for the Gardai and the Civil Defence etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

DeiseX wrote: »
    With no Oxegen festival this year there was an ideal opportunity to somewhat fill this void, at least for people in the South-East, by staging a small festival (most likely a one day event) somewhere in Waterford and book some Indie/Rock bands.

However the County Board and their short-sightedness went for the brain-dead, mundane option of the High Kings (wouldn't sell out Crottys), Bressie (a poor lead singer of a very poor band, now on a mediocre mission to scrape a few music sales from horny schoolgirls) and Jedward (no comments needed). Had the County Board went away from the idea of creating a Fr. Ted-esque family day by booking Jedward and co. they would of been better off targeting and luring a certain genre (albeit on a smaller scale than larger festivals) of bands/punters to Waterford. Obviously, these people wouldn't necessarily have to be GAA people, they just need to spend their cash!

They only ever tried to publicise to event through GAA circles in the county and small scale advertisements on Beat. It appears they never realised Jedward played up in Tramore only a few weeks previous! If they opened their minds and moved away from their (somewhat backward) traditions they really could of scooped a nice sum of money. Now the clubs, as usual, will have to listen to good aul Tom Cunningham breed heavily into the microphone, peddling out the usual rubbish that "the clubs are the county board" (only when it friggin suits you Tom they are) and that some sort of bullsh*t levy will be imposed bla bla bla.

Horny schoolgirls?? Explain?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

hardybuck wrote: »
    But sure Cunningham is saying that they don't even know how they're fixed! They're trying to re-negotiate the fee for the Gardai and the Civil Defence etc.

Well he can't know how they're fixed until they're finished negotiating with everyone, but I suspect they have a good idea!

The Irish Times report the loss to be between €25k and €50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's not that hard to understand :p

I'd say 70-80% of people who like Bressie are female, who think he's incredily good-looking..... in my experience anyway.

Sounds like a disastrous weekend tbh, should get proper even managers advertising properly to the right audiences if they wanted to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Shambolic stuff from Cunningham, and the County Board. These guys make Delaney and co. in the FAI look like paragons of good sense in comparison. Where is the accountability here? Cunningham shouldn't be giving interviews trying to play this down, he should be tendering his resignation FFS.

GAA in Waterford has been a joke in the way its run for years, this must be the final. No wonder they're laughing at us across on Noreside, we're a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mod Note: mouthinlad has been banned for persistent trolling and personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

tus.maith wrote: »
    Waterford's fundraising hits bum note after €50,000 loss on gig gamble

Waterford County Board are facing losses of up to €50,000 after a disastrous concert promotion over the weekend.
    Hopes that 'Rhythmfest' in Dungarvan, which featured acts such a Bressie, the High Kings and Jedward, could generate sufficient funds to eat into mounting debts were dashed when an estimated 2,200 turned out over the two days.
    The board executive met in emergency last night to discuss the fallout, with bills expected to be close to €50,000.
    Only an estimated 500 turned up for the Saturday show, with just 1,700 on Sunday.
    It is understood that reductions in costs have been negotiated with gardai and the civil defence, but significant losses are expected.
    "Money is scarce -- we took a gamble and it didn't pay off," acknowledged Waterford chairman Tom Cunningham.
    "On this occasion we hoped to run it on a break-even basis and set the trend for future years. But we did succeed in providing customer satisfaction."
    Cunningham also rejected suggestions that last night's executive meeting was 'emergency' in its nature, explaining: "This is an officer board meeting that goes ahead on the first Monday of every month.
    "'Rhythmfest' will probably be discussed but we won't know whether we broke even or whether we lost money.
    "But they were brilliant concerts and the people that came really enjoyed them."
    Waterford County Board ran a deficit of €120,000 last year and are thought to be trying to clear a debt of €210,000.
    They are one of 11 counties who failed to keep expenditure below income and are now paying the price for that.
    The Waterford football squad have been struggling in recent times to get expenses they are due but settlement has now been reached.
    The Deise senior hurling team has also had its budget dramatically cut from recent years.
    - Colm Keys
    Irish Independent

I know the lads have trouble organising their GAA remit sometimes, but am I the only one shocked to see our county board thinking they are concert promoters? Think the lads need a wakeup call, and to be reminded what their actual job is - ffs, they would have been better stucking the &%#$'ing money on a horse. If they want to make some money from concerts, it should be in ground rental, nothing more. This stuff really can't be scripted!

Realistically the biggest asset the county board has are their county players, any fundraisers need them to play a big part.

were in deep sh*t something needs to be done. and done fast.

I agree and would congratulate the County Board for making an effort, but would question the choices they made. Come on Bressie and Jedwward, who wants to HEAR them. Many of the rest of the acts taking part over the weekend would have had people asking who are they. The High Kings, they would have been good, but the County Board would have been better off hiring the ball room in Lawlors Hotel or the Park Hotel, and chanrge people say €20 a head to go in and hear then. I think they would have drawn a crowd, and what they would cost would be very small compared to what the County Board will have to fork out for the Weekend just past. I spoke to a number of people that said they would have gone to a sit down event with The High Kings, but had absolute no intention in paying the same money and maybe more to listen to them for an hour or so and also to have to listen to screaching love struck 'young ones and no so young ones' (there words not mine) waiting from Bressie. The over whelming majority of the people in this country dont know who he is, what he looks like and would not know him if he was to stand beside them in a shop or anywhere else. I think I have given my own view of the whole financial thing in Waterford before. If we had got rid of a certain Davy Fitzgerald at the end of the 2008 Championship we might not find ourselves having to stage such concerts now. Hopefully that the county board in doing this and having got their fingers burned twice now (remember we had the Pogues, Sharon Shannon etc) they wont go down this road before. The whole loss making thing also says a lot about those that ran the event or approached/worked with the county board for the weekend and their choice in music. Hopefully they will forgo any charges (if any) they had agreed with the county board to run the weekend.

mouthinlad wrote: »
    i dont understand the problem, like the high kings are brilliant country music, we love dem up the west, and bressie, he was all over the 4 channels we have.. No its a typical expample of the east fans not coming up to support us, well screw them i say

This just goes to show what you know about anything. Go away for a while and educate yourself on a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

I used to have very strong opinions on the incompetence of the Waterford county board, but that anger has now turned to pity. I actually feel sorry for these guys at this stage; everything they touch turns to sh1t. If these guys bought a funeral parlour, no one would die!

DeiseX wrote: »

To blame the choice of music on the County Board in my view would be very wrong. There biggest guilt would be accepting what was put to them by two women who i understand came up with the whole idea. The whole concert thing is nearly 12 months in the planning. I remember reading in the Waterford County Section under region at the top of the page, that there was plans to bring Jedward to Dungarvan. At the time I thought the whole thing was some kind of a joke as the poster that put it up, often what they would say i would take with a pinch of salt. As I have already said that it is my understanding that two women came up with the idea, which they possibly thought would be a good idea, but they should have ensured that none of the big acts took part in any other venues within 100 miles of Dungarvan for at least six months or more when booking them to ensure that there would be some sort of crowd show up. How many places have JEdward played recently, Cork, Tramore and some place in Wexford. Dont know where they were in Wexford but Cork and Tramore are within shouting distance of Dungarvan these days. Also was Bressie one of the acts that was in Tramore in early June or am i dreaming.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Heads absolutely need to start rolling. This is just the latest in a number of fiascos. Just off the top of my head during Cunningham's tenure:

(1) Financial situation. Bad and getting worse.

(2) Attempting to sell home advantage in the 2010 Munster final for €50k behind the Munster Council's backs.

(3) Rhythm Fest. He's saying they don't even know if they've broken even or lost money

(4) His total unprofessionalism with the Davy Fitz reappointment

Now these are just the public embarassments, I'm sure there is far more messing going on behind the scenes. Apparently the footballers had to fight to get their basic expenses. I was talking to a lad at the weekend who plays junior with his club, he'll not be togging out for another 8-9 weeks due to no fixtures being made.

As always, you've got to hold back on the criticism slightly as this guy is a volunteer, but it looks like we'd be far better off putting in full time sports administrators. It would be a worthwhile investment if it meant we weren't falling hundreds of thousands into debt.

This without doubt is the worst part. Prior to last years Munster Final, I remember reading in the examiner that Davy was promised another contract with Waterford. I would love to know where this came from as litteraly all but Tom on the county board wanted Davy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Fireball07 wrote: »

It's not that hard to understand :p

I'd say 70-80% of people who like Bressie are female, who think he's incredily good-looking..... in my experience anyway.

Sounds like a disastrous weekend tbh, should get proper even managers advertising properly to the right audiences if they wanted to make money.

But why do they have to be horny schoolgirls? Why would they be horny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Big Gerry Cleere?

Do you have a number for him?

blue note wrote: »

Some people have it that the whole event is costing just under €200,000. Its not just the acts have to be paid. I dont listen to Beatfm but I'm sure they had ads which they were charging for, WLR did have ads which I am sure they too had to be paid for. I dont know if other stations also carried ads. The local papers gave the event coverage. I am sure they had to be paid. A stage had to be paid for. I'm sure there was lighting on it which cost money, sound systems cost money, security would have to be paid for. Was there a Garda bill for the weekend. You dont just assume that they will be around for the weekend. They would have had I'm sure to pay some members who were to be off over the weekend to work. I heard somewhere the cival defence were on hand and i know from other events that they just dont turn up at an event just for the fun of it and incase they were needed. Would there have to be insurance taken out for the weekend. The costs is not just about what the artists are charging.

Shambolic stuff from Cunningham, and the County Board. These guys make Delaney and co. in the FAI look like paragons of good sense in comparison. Where is the accountability here? Cunningham shouldn't be giving interviews trying to play this down, he should be tendering his resignation FFS.

GAA in Waterford has been a joke in the way its run for years, this must be the final. No wonder they're laughing at us across on Noreside, we're a mess.

Did you hear Tom on with Billy McCarthy. You'd never guess he was a County Councillor for part of his life would you. He blamed the failure on the weather. Well he had to find some excuse so ten out of ten to Tom on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can someone tell me how he's been chairman for so long? Who keeps putting him there and allowing him to stay there? O_o

Can someone tell me how he's been chairman for so long? Who keeps putting him there and allowing him to stay there? O_o
    He was uncontested.

solarith wrote: »
    He was uncontested.

Thats depressing :(

Thats depressing :(
    What's depressing is he will remain so.

solarith wrote: »
    What's depressing is he will remain so.

Stick knife in.
    And twist

• Advertisement

Put it this way, a lot of the clubs in Waterford dont give one sh!te what happens. Some of the people that attend the meetings dont anyway. They have become part of the furniture. Clubs dont want to send new people to meetings in case they will hurt Paddy, Johnny and Mick who are representing the club at meetings since the 1960's and shur are'nt they doing a good job anyway. There is also this thing in Waterford once elected to a position within the GAA you are going to serve your five years or as much of it as you want, and when your time is up there will be a game of musical chairs and a few members will swap around the various positions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement