Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking rashers

• 10-02-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

What is the best and heathy way to cook rashers and keep the fat intake down. What about George Foreman grill or should it be better to fry in low fat oil. I am grateful if you can assist me in this need

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Anything that drains out the fat I would think, either a George Forman or grilling them on a rack that lets the fat drip out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

moved to N & D

I tend to grill mine, trim the fat off and dab them with kitchen paper to soak up any water/ fat

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I cut most of the fat off before cooking. If you have them in a slab from the pack you can trim it off in bulk.

don't really eat them anymore, loaded with salt. I cut pork steak thin and cook like rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

mmmmm.....rashers.....starvin now...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

If you buy the bacon medallions they have no actual "fat" attached to them,and grill them on george foreman its great. Still have great flavour and a lot less fat than regular rashers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yup I'm a fellow bacon medallions fan! I never liked the fat parts anyway. Then I just pop them on a tray in the over and drain off the fat/water that comes off them a couple of times during the cooking.

The other part is just a waste anyway- little stringy fat bit!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I do like the fat, so I leave that one, but I do grill them on a rack so as to knock out the fat and I pat them with kitchen paper when cooked.

Make the best of a bad lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I think the turkey rashers are also a great option...
    Really quick under the grill and very low fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I cut the fat off smoked rashers and dry fry them to make the base for pasta sauces/risottos. They add heaps of flavour and it's super quick!

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    I cut the fat off smoked rashers and dry fry them to make the base for pasta sauces/risottos. They add heaps of flavour and it's super quick!

What is "dry fry"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like rashers the best done under a grill until its crispy.
    What is "dry fry"?
    Perhaps in a frying pan with no oil?

mmmm, i always assumed that things would just stick. Its something i'll have to try! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not on a non stick pan :D:p

Anyway there is enough grease in a rasher already... so it should not stick. Just move it around to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Saruman wrote: »
    Not on a non stick pan :D:p

Anyway there is enough grease in a rasher already... so it should not stick. Just move it around to prevent it.

There is enough to cook a few cloves of garlic in it. Then I add a tin of tomatoes or whatever I'm going to add in.

I bought a 'Circulon' covered saute pan a while back, great for dry-frying. It's super non-stick and you can put them in the oven. I think they are well worth it if you're trying to cook healthier dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Cooking for engineers has a great article on bacon:
    http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/3/Bacon-Part-I

The conclusion is that the nitrates are the most dodgy thing about them (also in a lot of other cured or processed foods, turkey rashers I imagine too). When cooked at high temperatures (above 150C), the sodium nitrate in bacon can go carcinogenic. Some suggest putting the oven on between 100-120C and leaving the rashers in over night. I've done this before (if not entirely on purpose) and they really taste unbelievably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Some suggest putting the oven on between 100-120C and leaving the rashers in over night. I've done this before (if not entirely on purpose) and they really taste unbelievably good.
    Must try it sometime, might be like beef jerky. I have baked rashers before, very easy way to cook a large amount, cooks really quick and very crispy.
    Yup I'm a fellow bacon medallions fan!
    Same here. I used to work near a centra that did hot food, €11 per kilo. I used to get 2 tongs, go the the bacon and use them to rip out the medallions, leaving a heap of fat behind :D A fraction of what they would cost in the supermarkets, esp. with all the water loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

rubadub wrote: »
    Must try it sometime, might be like beef jerky. I have baked rashers before
    Surprisingly they're very crisp... kind of sweeter and less bitter or something too.

Advertisement