Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merge two partitions without losing data ?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Running a late 2012 (actually bought in 2013) iMac with 24gb RAM & a 1TB hard drive which is partitioned into two.

Is there any way to merge the two partitions without losing data or running into issues such as shortcuts breaking etc?

Also, I have a 3TB drive attached for time machine, I'm assuming that it's backups would be divided also, will this right itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I could be wrong, but I dont think you can "merge" them as you say.

Normally what you would do, is delete the partition on the right hand side, that turns into "free space" then you extend and the left hand side partition using the free space. Turning it into one large partition.

It looks like your OS partition is contained within the smaller of the partitions. I would suggest you copy everything on the storage partition to an external device. Delete the storage partition,...then enlarge partition OSX to consume the "Free space" , ...and re-copy your data back over from external device.

You could use Disk Utility, but I prefer a Gparted live cd for this type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have merged 2 partitions on my mac but I don't remember how now. I do remember it was quite painless and easy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

From my windows days I remember Partition Magic does such stuff easily. Surely there must be something like that for Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Any partition actions carry a possibility of corruption. Doing a partition merge without a backup is a bad idea. Always assume you can lose all data

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement