Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fruit smoothies for breakfast Good or Bad? Help!

• 30-08-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me if I'm on the right path here......I am starting my day with a fruit smoothie - consisting of 1 Banana - medium sized, 1 apple, frozen berries and a handful of porridge oats and a dash of milk and water.

Sometimes I have the same in the evening to replace a meal.
    I have a bit of weight to shift and have recently introduced exercise into my lifestyle.
    What are peoples thoughts - Is there too much natural sugar in those smoothies ?
    Would anybody have any recommendations?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No one ever got fat eating fruit (and as long as you are making a smoothie and not juicing, that's what you're doing).

I'd round it out with some more protein/fat by using full fat milk and maybe swapping some of the fruit for some nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The benefits of smoothies are debatable. Granted, you are getting a lot of nutrients, but for some people, not chewing their food can cause digestive issues as no saliva is released. I'm paraphrasing something I read a long time ago so probably got that arseways...

However, as you are taking them for weight loss, please bear in mind that liquidising your food make it easier to ingest. Someone on this forum once said "If you can't eat the ingredients of your smoothie in one sitting, you probably shouldn't drink them".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The benefits of smoothies are debatable. Granted, you are getting a lot of nutrients, but for some people, not chewing their food can cause digestive issues as no saliva is released. I'm paraphrasing something I read a long time ago so probably got that arseways...

There is going to be saliva in there no matter how you drink it, and unless you down it all in one there's going to be plenty. None of which is entirely relevant because salivary amylase is for kickstarting breaking starch down into sugar - so unless we're talking a rice and pasta smoothie, not so much an issue.

Liquidising is effectively the same thing as chewing, just faster. So if it helps people get more fruit and veg into their diet I don't think it should be discouraged. Better than having borderline dessert "breakfast cereal" like most people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Smoothies are fine for weightloss, my one leaves me full until like 2/3pm as it's got a lot of protein.
    You can probably work out how much calories is in your smoothie pretty easily and then see how much you are taking in during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Can anyone advise me if I'm on the right path here......I am starting my day with a fruit smoothie - consisting of 1 Banana - medium sized, 1 apple, frozen berries and a handful of porridge oats and a dash of milk and water.

400 calories twice a day. 38g of sugar? If you're looking for weight loss, stop doing this. Have a portion of porridge and later a banana.

Eating things as nature intended is normally far better than processing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Remember, you don't have to use fruit, you can use perpetual spinach, carrots, beetroot, broccoli etc. Not as appetising as bananas, pears etc, but will generally have far less sugar.

Advertisement